I know some of you hate consignment stores, but...

Wessex

Just wanted to share my first experience with one. Of course, it has only been one day, LOL. Anyway, was doing my "buy my stuff or I will kill this cute puppy" wholesale wanderings a few days ago. Came across a neat little local artist consignment store and went in just to browse. No intention on asking about consigning, just like looking at local artists stuff. Anyway, saw they had a few container candles with nicely painted college motifs on them (the decorations, not the actual candles were the draw, as the candles were imbedded paraffin of dubious quality). I mentioned to the owners (very nice older gentleman and lady) that I made candles and such. They asked to see them and as I was out "begging" for wholesale accounts, had some with me. Unfortunately, I already had a shop nearby that sold my candles. So I showed them some of the clamshells and tarts I had with me. I have about 20 scents ready to go, so am not trying to wholesale them yet. Long story short, I agreed to let them set up a display yesterday. So I brought a nice hanging display with tarts, a couple nice baskets of clamshells and about 10 assorted warmers to them. By the time I had them unloaded and put on the floor (table was not set up yet), a couple shoppers already had some at the register :cheesy2:. So before even doing the paperwork, I had sold 10 tarts and 4 clamshells! Now that made me feel pretty good. Figure it is a good way to start selling the tarts/clamshells. Oh, I also told the owners that I would let them use a warmer for the store as long as they do not pull merchandise from stock. I figured I could give them some of the "cat knocked to the floor" injured tarts to use. And also will be adding them to my "testing squad" for new scents.

So anyway, terms were 70/30 split, no monthly rent, no extra charges for credit cards. There was a $10 set up fee to get me input into their computer system (but they also do limited advertisements and do not charge anything for that and would be mentioning me as a new addition to their store on their facebook page) so I had no problem with that.

Anyway, just wanted to share. Sorry for the verbal vomit, LOL.

Cheers,

Steve

BTW, have had a Green Irish Tweed (NG) going in my warmer for 3 1/2 days straight (24 hours a day) and it is still throwing like a champ. Single 1.2 ounce tart! Wish all the scents would throw this well. If they last for 2 12 hour "burns" I consider them a success.

Edited by Wessex

Yeah Steve!

I have 3 consignment accounts.

1) $30/mo plus 10%

2) 25% of sales

3) 35% of sales

I like consignment. I'd rather not do craft shows. I am sick of dragging everything out and bringing it all home. Sales are really slow here. Maybe when the economy picks up more.

There used to be many handmade consignment shops in this area but about 6-7 years ago they all started closing. Now a few starting to pop up; but all over 1 hour from me.

Trudi

lol, giving a review of consignment after only 1 day is a lot like giving a review of an oil by sniffing it out of bottle. Unreliable, at best.

Wait 'til your product starts disappearing (theft). Wait 'til it gets damaged and unfit due to irresponsible handling. Wait 'til the owner can't/won't pay you due to being low on funds.

I'm not saying any of that will happen to you. Hopefully, you have a contract to cover you if it does.

I only did one consignment arrangement way early on in my selling days. The dipstick put my candles in a sunny west window in the summer. I would have to be extremely desperate for sales to do it again.

I'm glad for you ... and I guess you titled this thread correctly.

In the past candle consignment sales were a shot in the dark for me; some shops were better than others. I'm glad that Yankme and $cent$y have exposed more people to tarts/melts ... they are great sellers in every shop I'm in. Wish you the same luck!

I don't think tarts/melts are very well known around here. Almost everyone I have talked to have no clue (or very little clue) what they are. The shop owners at the consignment store did not know what they were. Had to explain the melters and how to use the tarts to them. Maybe there is a nice sized untapped market here. Or maybe I have just talked with people who are out of the loop. I did some research on the shop before I agreed to put stock in there and they have been around for years. In a nice established neighborhood. So not terribly worried about things.

And I hope tarts/clamshells do well around here. Since I have been waiting for a good batch of palm wax I have gone a little nutty with pouring tarts. Up to 43 scents right now, and who knows when I will have time to test them all. So I guess I will have lots of tarts laying about for a while, LOL.

Cheers,

Steve

Well,Steve, if you are just introducing electric warmers to the area some may appreciate knowing that it can be hooked up to a timer. They can come home to a good smellin' house ... and not have to get up in the middle of the night to make sure they turned it off. It's one of the selling points I use.

Well,Steve, if you are just introducing electric warmers to the area some may appreciate knowing that it can be hooked up to a timer. They can come home to a good smellin' house ... and not have to get up in the middle of the night to make sure they turned it off. It's one of the selling points I use.

Very good idea, would have never thought of it :smiley2:. And of course, I have 6 timers on my saltwater reef tank and still would never have thought of putting a timer on a warmer. Maybe an add on sale...

Cheers,

Steve

And I caught in another thread about UV. I've found it to be almost necessary especially if your melts are going to be near the windows or under artificial lighting. The old flourescents can fade them fast. You really don't notice the fade until you pop open an old one. It will be your original color only under the label and faded at the edges. Looks weird ... :rolleyes2

:shocked2: that is GENIUS! never once thought of that!

Edited by LuminousBoutique

OK, I am happy right now and just wanted to share. No, I will not be doing regular updates on my consignment experience, so don't worry, LOL. Already need to restock tarts and picked up a wholesale account! Yay :cheesy2:! Made a few dollars and one wholesale account, time to retire and enjoy my riches, LOL!

Cheers,

Steve

OK, I am happy right now and just wanted to share. No, I will not be doing regular updates on my consignment experience, so don't worry, LOL. Already need to restock tarts and picked up a wholesale account! Yay :cheesy2:! Made a few dollars and one wholesale account, time to retire and enjoy my riches, LOL!

Cheers,

Steve

WTG...sounds like you made a good decision! :yay: