wick test-will this help?

I have been wick testing comfort blend -with out scent.I burned the candles 4 hours(second burn) and put the flame out and tested temperature of melt pools for 3 minutes ,done with a timer .Will this test help or am I wasting time?

eco 2...temp135

eco 4..temp 150

eco 6..temp 150

zink wick 51 ..145

what do you think..all the wicks flame about the same so far and no hang ups..no smoke and only mushroom on 51(small).

got to run will be back a little later.

I personally don't check the meltpool temp, and I don't feel a need to do it. But any extra information you have during testing can only help. So even if you never have to use the info for most tests, it could come in useful. So go for it, it never hurts to have extra information.

Cheers,

Steve

thanks Steve,I just tested the melt pool to see which wick was burning hottest,thinking of how fast the fo would burn off when I do add fo.If that makes any scents.I am now getting light film of smoke on eco 4-eeco 6 has more smoke film that is not black yet but close-eco2 and zink wick 51 has no smoke film at all so far.

From my physics background, I believe the temp of the MP can be useful. I would also add the room temp which will have an effect on the MP temp and the diameter of the pool.

After a while you may get an ideal temp, so you know if you’re under/over wicked and by how much. This is science part of getting the candle wick size right.

Fragrance oil changes a lot of elements in the candle environment. Some bakery scents are notorious for causing soot, mushrooms and difficulty with wick efficiency. I look for the width of the meltpool (does it eventually take up the width of the container), the depth of the meltpool (1/2 inch max) and the temp of the outside of the jar during different burns (especially at the bottom or end burn). A wick matches the candle enviroment of wax type, fo amount, and container configuration. The only constants are your container and wax type; the fo becomes the variable that alters the outcome. People will post whether or not a particular fo requires a change in wicking in a particular wax medium. That's why we buy those 1 and 2 ounce sample bottles. HTH

Steve

Thanks,i did the room temp too,no drafts,hoping to decide what wick to start with,I have used zinks in the past but it was recommended to me eco-then htp then lx,so the testing goes on,loooove it.lol:rolleyes2

I have the melt pools measured:

eco2 -3/4 inch

eco 4 -1 1/4

eco 6 -1 inch

zink 51 -3/4 inch

on jj.

Edited by country bee

Thanks,i did the room temp too,no drafts,hoping to decide what wick to start with,I have used zinks in the past but it was recommended to me eco-then htp then lx,so the testing goes on,loooove it.lol:rolleyes2

I have the melt pools measured:

eco2 -3/4 inch

eco 4 -1 1/4

eco 6 -1 inch

zink 51 -3/4 inch

on jj.

Those melt pools look too deep to me. I take it you are measuring the depth. Looks like you need to wick down, we have found the mp depth of 1/4-3/8 is ideal.

Nothing wrong with testing unscented candles. It is a good start point. Then as you add FO and any other additives you need, it helps to pin down any problems. We all know that FO's and other additives change the burn, and must be tested. But if you are having problems with an FO and aren't aware that it is your basic wax/wick combo that is causing the problem....

Just my 2 cents.

Cheers,

Steve

I bought 200 dollars of candle making supplies from brighterscents.com I have not received a tracking number and i wondered how long does the order usually ship in because i am frustrated and about to report them. I ordered my things on January 13, so i was wondering how long is long enough to at least get a tracking number. I have emailed them 3 times with no response and i have called thousands of times. I have not gotten one reply at all. I feel ripped off thats 200 dollars i was trying to save myself some money and make my own candles. So please anyone know how long it takes to get these products to me should be???

I bought 200 dollars of candle making supplies from brighterscents.com I have not received a tracking number and i wondered how long does the order usually ship in because i am frustrated and about to report them. I ordered my things on January 13, so i was wondering how long is long enough to at least get a tracking number. I have emailed them 3 times with no response and i have called thousands of times. I have not gotten one reply at all. I feel ripped off thats 200 dollars i was trying to save myself some money and make my own candles. So please anyone know how long it takes to get these products to me should be???

You will get a better response if you start your own thread.