confused

I am just starting out making candles.Hopefully will be able to start a business in the future but I'm very confused about some things.Think I read to many threads that were different. For instants..

Are the candles supposed to have the tunneling?

From what I've read depends on what you like but no.

How deep is the melted pool supposed to be?

There are so many different waxes.What is the best to use?

There are not really any stores near me that even sell waxes.(I'm out in the boonies and it's 1 hour to closet store)So I go the only thing they I found which is 10lbs slabs of paraffin wax.I made pillars,votives and jars out of it but I see people saying use soy wax or blends for jars or what not and I'm very confused by it all.Does soy wax like melt slower or something or like can someone explain to me the differences of the waxes.

Me reading all this is just making it more confusing.I know people have different opinions but what would be best for a beginner to use for jars of any size and pillars and votives.Also are tarts like tea lights or they something only used for the warmer type things?

With the first votive and pillar I did came out very smooth and shiny(only have 1 pillar mold and 3 votive molds atm) and the other I made afterward came out rough and had lines through it like i took a knife and carver around them.What made this happen?The molds were cleaned out after each use.

And with paraffin wax how do you get less shrinkage? Even with a second re pour a had some shrinkage.

Does paraffin wax burn longer than a soy or blended wax?

If I blend paraffin with soy how much do I use of each one?

Edited by Carol

Welcome Carol,

Ok, 1st you have some decisions to make. You need to concentrate on one area first. Decide if you're going to start with pillars & votives OR containers. DO NOT start with both, it causes confusion because they have different waxes for pillars vs. container.

2nd you need to decide if you are going to use Soy OR paraffin. They both have +/-. Start with either, you can blend later once you become familiar with one or the other. If you are thinking about soy, searching in the natural wax forum will answer a lot of questions pertaining to wicking, meltpool, & etc.

No one is going to tell you which wax is best for you. They may tell you which wax is the best for them, but that doesn't help you a wit. GB 464 is a popular soy container wax, IGI 4630 is a popular paraffin container wax. I do not know if they would be the best for you tho. Only you will find that out. It's called testing.

Sorry, I didn't answer all your questions. I'm happy to see you have been reading here. If you want to read about specific things, the SEARCH feature works well.

This link will help as well: http://www.craftserver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=698.

Pay special attention on how to use the google search feature on the above link. It's an immense help. HTH a little bit!

The reason you had shrinking in your container is because you used a pillar/votive wax for a container. Not sure where you got the slap of wax..michaels? hobby store?...but if it's for pillars/votives...it will not be great to use for a container.

I use mostly paraffin...I order supplies online so I'd suggest looking at the supplier by state thread and find someone close to you to order from.

I use 4627 comfort blend. It's a PITA to work with because of it's consistancy..vaseline...but I LOVE it. I use HTP wicks with this wax.

For pillars/votive and tarts I switch between 4625 paraffin, 1343 and palm waxes. I use flat braid wicking for pillars.

One of the reasons you got those lines is likely because you poured too cool...too slow or a combination of both. They are called jump lines.

Hope this helps a little.

Container and pillar waxes are two different things. You might want to try searching for some candle making suppliers on line. That way you can shop for different waxes and wicks. The best wax is what works for you. I personally like a blend of paraffin and soy. Paraffin has great throw, but shrinks too much for my preference. I do production, and don't want to do a lot of repours. Soy on the other hand doesn't throw that great or color well, but it shrinks less, so a blend suits me better.

I don't want tunneling in containers. I want the candle to consume itself as it burns. To get this, you will need to test wicks with wax and container size. You do however, want your pillars to tunnel somewhat, as you don't want the wax to melt beyond the edges of the pillar. This also will take testing with wax and wick.

Since you do live rural, I would try to do my shopping through the internet. Yes you will have to pay shipping, but you will better quality materials than at a craft store. Hang around here and you will get a wealth of info.

It sounds like you have already started, so if you have questions, you need to tell us the wax you are using, how you are using it (the application), the wick type and size and the amount of FO or other additives you used. Without basic information, we cannot help. Be specific.

Making basic decisions is not as confusing as it sounds. Each type of wax has different properties - one size does not fit all. For information about paraffin, read in the general candlemaking forum. For information about veggie waxes, read in the veggie wax forum.

Don't worry about blending waxes at this point - you don't know enough to do this. Choose a quality wax that's manufactured for your application, then search for information on that wax. For example, you have pillar and votive molds, so you should be looking for waxes that are designed to be used in molded (pillar & votive) applications. Container wax or tart wax wuould not be good choices. HTH :)

Edited by Stella1952

I actually didn't have shrinkage in the containers just the votives and pillars.I just bought random containers from the Good Will which was recommended by a friend who makes candles for herself. They were actually a ton cheaper than buying from Wal-Mart and Hobby Lobby.Hobby Lobby is the only place that carries any type of wax near me. Which comes in 10lb slab.I don't remember what type of paraffin wax is was and didn't think to right it down considering its the only wax I can get in that distance so I figured I'd only be using that wax. I do think it was supplied by Candlewic though because there was a sticker on it with that company. I belive my husband put 1/4 once of fragrance per pound. Which so far seems to be good for small rooms. Cinnamon is over powering though. With the pillar candle I have burned so far one side is up higher than the other by like 1/4 of and inch and is doing very little tunneling and the wax spilled over the side on the 3 burn. I think my wic wasn't centered very good though.Seems all the wics are actually being pulled to the side when it shrinks.Maybe I'm not making the string tight enough?

Wendy is correct. Decide what you want to make (votives, containers, soy, paraffin, whatevers), and order a kit. Don't worry about wicks and wax properties until you get a feel for what you're doing. Use what came in the kit and follow the directions.

Buying random containers is useless. Every single type of container has to be tested from scratch. If you perfect a candle in one container, the next type of container will be totally different.

Every fragrance also has to be tested. You've got a tremendous amount of testing before you even begin to think about going into business.

Edited by SliverOfWax

Go to any of the suppliers on the list and order a votive kit. You pick out fragrances and color and they send you everything you need to make a good votive. Start with paraffin and work your way into soy or a soy/paraffin blend. Paraffin is much easier to handle in the beginning (IMHO). You can get glass votive holders at a Dollar Store for nearly nothing and then buy some cellophane bags at Walmart and package with a label that you can print yourself and give as gifts or promotions. Burn them first in your home and take notes on how well they burn with which fragrances and or if they have problems such as getting the votive holder too hot. Votives are fun and easy. Don't waste your money at a hobby shop.

Steve

Hobby Lobby is only thing near besides Wal-Mart and Target. Everything else is almost 2 hours away. :sad2:

You should order some wax from a good supplier, even a 2 hour drive is not bad for quality wax, FO's, wicks and etc. I drive 90 minutes to get our wax.

Here is the link to suppliers: http://www.craftserver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5492 Look and see what suppliers are close to you in Missouri and order samples of different waxes, most have samples of 1#, 5# or 10# so you can test and see which ones you like.