What are the best wicks to use for Pillar Candles?

I am interested in making pillar candles and was wondering what are the best wicks to use for them? I currently use Hemp 60048 wicks for my Soy Candles.

Also, has anyone ever used Palm Wax for them? I tried to search for some information on Palm wax for Pillar Candles but couldn't find much. Is there any information online where it tells you how much fragrance to add etc..

Thanks

Edited by Kristin2011

Candle Science makes the CSN wicks which were made just for palm, although they work in soy, also. If you search in the natural wax section, I know TopofMurrayHill did extensive testing with palm feather and starburst waxes. I'm sorry I couldn't help you more, but I haven't ventured into the world of palm yet. :)

Edited by IwantItgreen

Welcome Kristin. Check out the veggie wax forum for palm wax information. Many folks (including me) make palm wax pillars - they are so beautiful! I used hemp wicks briefly for soy, but found there are wicks I like much better. I use CD & CDN wicks for both soy and palm waxes. They work great for me.

The FO load for palm wax differs from type to type... Generally, 1 oz./pp is plenty. HTH :)

• Like 1

Welcome Kristin. Check out the veggie wax forum for palm wax information. Many folks (including me) make palm wax pillars - they are so beautiful! I used hemp wicks briefly for soy, but found there are wicks I like much better. I use CD & CDN wicks for both soy and palm waxes. They work great for me.

The FO load for palm wax differs from type to type... Generally, 1 oz./pp is plenty. HTH :)

What type of Palm Wax do you use and wicks? I was thinking about purchasing the Feather (IGI R-2779) Palm wax from Peak Candles. Could you pour the wax at a lower temp than what is recommended on their site? They didn't provide info on when to add your fragrance.

Thanks for your help

• 2 weeks later...

Could you pour the wax at a lower temp than what is recommended on their site? They didn't provide info on when to add your fragrance.

Thanks for your help

Recommendations are made for a reason - maybe you should follow them and based on your test results go from there.

Feather Palm needs to be poured hot to take full advantage of it's crystalization. I generally pour mine anywhere from 180-190 degrees and get excellent results. I prewarm my molds, but do not worry about covering to slow cooling. I my experience, the FO affects crystalization more than cooling. I use CSN wicking from CandleScience with great results. There is LOTS of info about this wax on this forum.

Cheers,

Steve

• 12 years later...