Let's talk Tapers

I really wanna try my hand at doing some taper candles but I really have no idea where to start with this one (other then a trip to C&S cause paying shipping on wax is just... crazy if one can avoid it). So ladies and gents... Can you give me any suggestions on wicks? Wax preferences? I'm not against doing the hand dipped method but if I could find a decent mold (that isn't going to make my wallet cry out in pain) that'd be good too or even a mold'able which is what I call those things that aren't *MEANT* to be molds but we turn them into molds anyway. Tips? Tricks? Anything?

Can't say we have tried to do these just yet, but did research it a bit tho before =)

Beeswax from what we saw was one of the best (and easiest) ways to do tapers. Most are rolled if I'm not mistaking =)

We are going to tool around with them soon with our soy wax (should be a mess, lol) but the dipping part looks like fun. Just take your wick (I read somewhere cotton is the best) and dip... dip... dip... dip again... and dip a few more times till the desired width is gotten =)

Have fun and you know we would all love to see some pictures when your finished =)

I make beeswax tapers in molds from Manns Lake (thanks for that one ChrisR), and it is pretty easy. It is alot easier (and less messy) than dipping. But dipping can be pretty fun, though. I don't do the rolled beeswax, as I have over 100 pounds of beeswax in blocks. Tapers are fairly easy to do, once you get the wicking part figured out. A search on this board should yield lots of results for what type of wicking would work best for you.

Cheers,

Steve

Well, I've got a little beeswax left from my local beekeeper, and some wax that *MIGHT* work, and oh yeah, I recently picked up some cotton core wicking as I'm playing with the wicking on my votives a bit. Maybe once I get all the laundry that's hanging around my craft room folded and put away (hopefully today) I'll give some dipped tapers a try.

I would have to agree that beeswax tapers are the best, but then I am a little biased (I'm a beekeeper).

I would recommend, for a first timer, to make molded tapers. I have been making candles for a number of years and still have not mastered dipped tapers.

I also would not recommend rolled beeswax tapers since the burn time of beeswax candles is your best selling point and rolled tapers do not have that long burn time.

Mann Lake makes the best poly taper molds. They are a little expensive but well worth the money. Plus, they come in several different styles and sizes. Beeswax candles are SOOOO easy to make in poly molds!

Good luck and have fun! I love making beeswax tapers!

Well, these are just for me, and with 4 furry feline minions running around, short burn time is a bonus. When I've bought tapers in the past, I typically go for the shortest ones I can find, less of a chance for teetering when Minion 1 and Minion 2 decide to play tag by running around like little psychos.