CD's & 6006 Parasoy

I've been poking through the posts by those two and thanks!! But it looks like mostly they are using square masons, don't know how much difference that makes? Hopefully they will read this thread!! (I hate buggin' people!)

It's official: The CD 8 is somehow, someway, WAAAAYYYY too big. I tested several FO's at 1 oz pp, the throw is GREAT but the flame is HUGE! And the mushroom is really bad....I bought some CD 6's but my gut tells me the throw is gonna suck or it's just gonna be too small.

What REALLY gets me is that every board I've researched, almost EVERYONE using this wax & jar is using a CD8. Can't be easy for me huh? UGH!

Bert sells CD7's maybe that would work?

I use 6006 mixed with a small amount of 464 and in the summer I will use ecosoya pb(about 20%) mixed with it.

In 8oz jj I have used cd 8, htp 73 or 83 depending on the fo, eco4 and 51 zinc and have had the best luck with the zincs.

My next try is lx wicks....I just got a few sample packs of lx 14, 16 and 18

I haven't been able to get the LX to work in anything yet, but I haven't tried it in the 6006. Maybe I'll pour some of those today. I'm still totally stumped with the CD's. I lit another scent test I did with the CD 8 and yet again it was huge flame and tons of smoke when I blew it out (TONS. Like filled the room from a little candle tons. Ugh). I'm waiting for my CD 6 to come in to try that. My 100% soy candles are doing fine, but I would like to throw to be a little stronger which is why I decided on parasoy, but it's still so frustrating! LOL

Hey guys, just thought I would jump in here. I use 6006, 6% fragrance oil and zinc wicks. In an 8oz jelly jar I usually use a 51z ...I pour a lot of bakery scents (vanilla/spice). In an 8oz square mason jar or 16oz mason jar, I usually use a 60z.

I've tried other wicks with 6006, but zincs work the best for me. I keep my wicks trimmed at 1/8" instead of 1/4" and that solves the problem of smoking. However, I do get mushrooms, but my customers don't mind.

I do get frustrated with 6006 because of sink-holes near the wick; I usually have to use my heat gun. I also think 6006 is finicky because I have to cover my jars and let them cool slowly to avoid (as much as possible) wet spots. However, it's the best parasoy wax that I've used so far.

I've seriously considered changing my wax to Candlewic's CBL-130, but I hate to have to go through all that testing again.

Candlebuddy,

I've heard that too, 51Z for 8 oz jj, and it was working GREAT for 6006, awesome throw, everything was fine, UNTIL I power burned at 8 hours. I'm using very little dye and I'm using 6%. Then the jar got super hot, too hot to touch. Do you have this problem?? I was discussing it on another thread, not sure if they decide to power burn & the jar gets too hot if that's just a "not following directions" thing or I should retest with a smaller wick.

I was thinking of wicking down, I'm just afraid the throw is going to be affected. I just use a regular SS JJ. I don't know why everything that seems to work for everyone else is way too big a flame for me?

I should mention though, that I never get sinkholes (go figure). The 6006 is truly a one pour for me. I pre heat my oven and stick the jars in there, pour hot, let them cool super slow. The tops always come out perfect, no wet spots either.

Edited by inherowndominion

inherowndominion,

Thanks for the tip. I've read where 6006 users heat their jars, but I've always been too lazy. I think I'm gonna try it though, and see how it goes for me. At this point, I'm so tired of using my heat gun, that I think heating my jars would be less work. How do you cool them slowly? Do you cool them in the oven?

As for the regular 8oz jelly jars, although I usually use a 51z for bakery scents (they are usually the heavier oils for me), in lighter fragrance oils (usually floral/ozone) I use a 44z.

I seem to get those dreaded sinkholes around the wick no matter what type wick I use but mostly with the 8 oz j jars. I do have the best luck with the zincs and have not started on testing the lx wicks yet.

I have also been thinking of switching over to candlewicks cbl130.

I placed an order yesterday for some of the 1oz samplers on sale and told myself to get a 10lb slab to test but got so involved going through all the scents I wanted to try I totally forgot to get the wax..:rolleyes2

I have been using 6006 for a few years now and also love playing with palm wax but I'm thinking it's time to try something else but I'm a parasoy lover and the cbl130 seems like the way to go...I hope it's an easier wax to deal with because I too am too lazy to heat the jars...heat gun...second pours etc....most of the time I do a second pour.

I'll heat my jars and cool in the oven and cross fingers that works out better