How much would you sell wanted "rejects"

rebeccajo99

I have a scent that I was testing in my tarts. My results from my testers made me decide that I do not want to market this particular scent (I was on the fence before giving them to my testers).

I have some left over and I normally just keep them for my personal use, but one of my testers said that she loves this scent and wants to buy all my left overs.

How much would you charge? Normal price or a percentage off? She already said she will not take them for nothing.

If your tester knows you aren't going to carry the scent and were going to basically write the products off anyway...I would give them to him/her at cost or wholesale. If they feel you are taking advantage (I use this term very loosely here), they may be a bit mad. Just my opinion, but I would be glad to get my money back (somewhat) on a failed scent. I tend to give my testers lots of breaks, they are doing me a great favor.

Cheers,

Steve

Edited by Wessex

:tiptoe::tiptoe:Had this same dilemma at one point, and decided to just "gift" the scent I didn't like to the tester. Damn if my tester didn't prove me wrong, and get the scent moving! Best gifting I ever did; her word of mouth advertising proved invaluable. I have a hard time with scents I don't LOVE, and want to dump them, even though my preferences are so predictable. It's hard, sometimes, to sniff outside the box! Good luck!:laugh2:

You could put them in a little bag with something else small that you do sell. Just charge her something for the other product and that way she will feel like she's giving you something but she is actually getting the rejected tarts for free. Not sure if I'm getting the idea across well...

I wouldn't limit marketing based on a closed set of results. While you've already made your decision here, I would suggest looking at & comparing the general (actual purchasers) response with your testers' responses. We have a few fragrances that I wouldn't go across the street for, but they sell. Depending on the volume of remaining fragrance, you could just sell them to your tester at cost or market them in earnest.... :smiley2:

Thanks everybody for your response and suggestions. Sorry that I just got back to this now, it has been crazy here with my kiddos.

I decided not to keep the scent not because of people not liking the way it smelled, but by how long it lasted. Everybody said it smelled great, but did not last as long as my other scents. So, I'm off to the drawing board on trying to get this scent to work and last longer since I got a very positive response on the scent inself.