Introduce and question of waxes

Hi there people,

I've been lurking for awhile, joined and now posting...

My wife and I wanted to start doing something together and I suggested candles. She also stated soap, but for now...candles. We bought a starter set and just finished a few candles last week and ready to pull the trigger (I'm a guy who loves his Glock - trigger...) but am slightly confused over some wax terminology.

I like wickless. Whether it's in a container to put on a warmer or the clamshell breakaways (scentsy style we have given as a gift). While I'm not a supporter of scentsy, I just like that 6 piece breakaway stuff and it's easy to explain it that way.

I'm certain the 4630 (think that's it) is going to be the wax for containers, I'm puzzled how to look for wax specifically for tart/clamshell style wax.

I see wax listed as container, votive, high melt, etc...but, you know. Confusing a bit.

What, if not listed specifically for tart/clamshell, should I be looking at?

Oh, and is a tart and clamshell style the same thing? I mean, melt in a warmer, sort of way. I know the clamshell in itself is a "mold" and tart has it's own type. Just wondering if my thinking is correct...

Thanks. This is an awesome place for knowledge and ideas.

Matt

you can use any votive wax for tarts/clam shell I use KY's votive/tart wax. It's the best I've tried. I had trouble with it for a short time but figured out it was the bags I was putting them it. It was sucking the scent right out of them so switched back to KY's little zip bags & their draw string bags. HTH Oh welcome to the board and the wonderful world of candle making!!

Since you mentioned 4630, I assume you are looking to work with pariffin? Yes, 4630 is a container wax (as is 4627, 4786, J223, J50 and many others). 4794 is one paraffin that many people use for tarts, it is a pillar/votive blend (also 4625, 4761, etc.) There are MANY other waxes out there, this is just a small list.

Container blends are made to adhere to jars, tins, etc. and are not made to easily come out of tart molds. They tend to be "softer" waxes with lower meltpoints. Pillar (and votive) blends are made to shrink away from molds, thus much easier to release from tart molds. They tend to be "harder" waxes with higher meltpoints. Many people use a blend of both pillar/tart and container wax for tart making. There are many reasons for blending (better appearance, hold more FO, etc.)

Yes, tarts tend to be made in molds (like the single "fluted" melts from Yankee and others). These molds are usually metal, but there are silicone and plastic ones available.

OK, these are some basic answers. There are exceptions to most of the above, but this is basic information. There is alot more to it then this, but here is a good starting point. Go to a suppliers website (near you to save on shipping) and start browsing through the waxes.

Oh, and tarts and clamshells are indeed meant for warmers. Same thing, different form.

Hope this helps a bit.

Cheers,

Steve

Edited by Wessex

Welcome to the board and to Candlemaking! We've been working with 4630 (from Aztec) to create our own blend for containers. We've been using EcoSoya Pillar Blend for tarts, pillars and votives. (Candle Science). Very nice for soy lovers. (But just getting ready to test a mottled wax also which is paraffin) Once you have figured out what you want to work with (parrafin, soy or a blend of both), then visit suppliers sites to investigate. You can always ask questions there or come back to this board...always willing to help. And as Steve said, the higher the melt point, the harder the wax and are for free standing such as tarts, pillars and votives. (You mentioned Glock...hmmmm -police force? maybe?) :smiley2: Good luck with candlemaking...you'll love it!

Welcome to the board and to Candlemaking! ...(You mentioned Glock...hmmmm -police force? maybe?) :smiley2: Good luck with candlemaking...you'll love it!

Nope, Youth Pastor and my wife is the bestest stay at home mommy. But I love my God and my Guns...

Thanks to all for the advice. My wife keeps telling me to order from Peaks, CS or other online places I've found. Just want to start well and go from there.

The only local place (that I've found through a link here - I think) is a bit of a drive and I'm not sure of their selection on items. I'll have to check what's near Salt Lake City again.

thanks again

matt

Edited by mlomeli

:yay:

Nope, Youth Pastor and my wife is the bestest stay at home mommy. But I love my God and my Guns...

Thanks to all for the advice. My wife keeps telling me to order from Peaks, CS or other online places I've found. Just want to start well and go from there.

The only local place (that I've found through a link here - I think) is a bit of a drive and I'm not sure of their selection on items. I'll have to check what's near Salt Lake City again.

thanks again

matt

Welcome Matt! Your going to LOVE this site! It's full of information and the people here are FRIENDLY and willing to help. I was about to give up until I found this site and have made good friends and learned a lot. God Bless and hope you and your wife have a great time candlemaking!! Have a Blessed New Year too!

thanks again

matt

hi Matt, I'm a candle and soap maker here in Ogden and the ONLY place worth driving to in our area is MMS, TheSage.com, in Logan- for soap and B&B.

There are some "candle supply" places around here but dont waste your money, they simply repackage and sell at a huge price increase. Peaks is closest to us (Denver) and shipping is generally two day.. if I order on a Monday I tend to have it on Wednesday. Once a year we drive to peaks, make a night of it, and buy multiple cases of wax, jars, and my fragrance oil 5lbs at a time. We also order from CandleScience, they are on the other side of the country so shipping is longer but not more expensive generally and the prices are great- the FO's are great quality too.

Now, for FO's, MMS has some great ones and you can go up to logan and sniff them all... BUT, they are not all tested in wax (they dont sell wax anymore but did at one point..) and they are much more expensive than peaks or CS. They also have multi cavity clamshells. If you have any other questions of local resources just let me know! We do have Candlewarmers.com here in Layton and they are a great place to pick up some warmers.

Edited by LuminousBoutique

hi Matt, I'm a candle and soap maker here in Ogden and the ONLY place worth driving to in our area is MMS, TheSage.com, in Logan- for soap and B&B.

There are some "candle supply" places around here but dont waste your money, they simply repackage and sell at a huge price increase. Peaks is closest to us (Denver) and shipping is generally two day.. if I order on a Monday I tend to have it on Wednesday. Once a year we drive to peaks, make a night of it, and buy multiple cases of wax, jars, and my fragrance oil 5lbs at a time. We also order from CandleScience, they are on the other side of the country so shipping is longer but not more expensive generally and the prices are great- the FO's are great quality too.

Now, for FO's, MMS has some great ones and you can go up to logan and sniff them all... BUT, they are not all tested in wax (they dont sell wax anymore but did at one point..) and they are much more expensive than peaks or CS. They also have multi cavity clamshells. If you have any other questions of local resources just let me know! We do have Candlewarmers.com here in Layton and they are a great place to pick up some warmers.

Ok, thanks for all the info. That website is horrible to look at (ok, maybe not that bad). I'll give it another look, but I'm off the next two days, so maybe we will head up there.

I'm gonna check out candle warmers too.

Thanks for all the advice. I'm sure I'll have more questions.

Edited by mlomeli

And so it begins, another good person dragged down into a hopeless addiction :rolleyes2. Do yourselves a favor and don't become involved with the evil Fragrance Oil addictions as so many of us have done (FOHO's as we like to be called). Have fun with your candlemaking. Oh, and it could take over your kitchen, I speak from experience.

Cheers,

Steve