New Candles

tonyjazz

Wow, those are really pretty! But yeah, real flowers in a candle that burns to the edge can catch fire when they come into contact with the lit wick. ;0)

Loving the watermelon candles too, they make we want to run out and buy a watermelon to eat!! Are they scented in melon? Yum. Another quick tip too, you may not realise (or you might and that's the way you wanted it to be lol) your star candle has been made upside down. The bottom of the mould is usually the top of the turned out candle, leaving a lovely smooth top to the pillar. Do you get what I mean?

Keep the pics coming.

Anjie,x.

Scented, Thanks so much for that constructive critique. I test burned that one and can see that it is not safe. Much appreciated. Will refrain from making those again.

Angie, thanks also for the comments. Watermelon and cucumber FO for the melon candles. I'll try the tip about the star mold. Came without instructions (lol)......

Another disappointing aspect of using natural flower petals and leaves is that many "brown out" over time or when exposed to heat. I used rose petals, azaleas & camellias in some of my first hurricanes and they were so beautiful... until they turned brown. They were still pleasing but not the way they were when I first made the 'canes... If you deliberately underwick to leave a shell (tunnel) on a pillar (cylinder or square shape - not pyramid), a leaf applied to the outside should be relatively safe from igniting and may hold its color better for a longer period of time. Leather leaf ferns (like ones used in floral arrangements) work very well.

Love the watermelons!! :)

Edited by Stella1952

Hey Tony,

Don't give up on the type of idea you have. Find some molds (silicone and plastic come to mine) that will give you the type of greenery or florals you want and just make that into wax and use it to embed into your molds.

I'm still working on getting waxed spearmint leaves to work, but there's a way to make it happen.