What is the deal...

Faerywren

I have an extensive background in business, marketing and design, but I don't think very many people here would be willing to listen to my advice for the simple fact that I have only been a member for a short time.

CandleCrush, I don't think that's entirely true. I agree there are some that can be harsh with their comments but most everyone here is very nice. There are several people here that don't have many posts or been members for a short while that have quite a bit of good information. Lovemylabs comes to mind, who has only been a member since August. But, she has provided some very good advice.

Me personally at least, I don't look at the number of posts or the join date to decide whether someone knows anything or not. I pay attention to the questions they ask or the comments they share. That usually gives me a good indication of their knowledge of the craft.

But, that might be because of the field I'm in at work. I'm a computer programmer and I'm a girl. I still have to deal with some of the guys not giving me any credit for knowing my field. So, I try very hard not to do that to others. Heck, I'll defer to the young pups when it comes to Networking and the like. They understand it better than I ever will (or care to...:smiley2:)

I think your comments would be most appreciated, especially in the Business Side of Things topic.

J

Edited by ProudMarineMom
Spelling as usual

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CandleCrush, I understand your hesitancy being a newbie. I am one myself. I am a licensed esthetician, educator and territory sales manager for a professional skin care line. A few times I have read things in the b&b forum and wanted to contribute but was not sure how the information would be received. I would prefer not to start a huge debate o, for the time being, decided to butt out for the time being.

Personally, I would value your opinions on marketing ideas given your expereience.

Happy New Year!

I don't mind giving advise to a newbe but I draw the line when someone asks me what size wick what FO or what wax I use. Like most of our candlemakers on here I work very hard to come up with a formulia that works for me. Right now I am working on wicking 2 oz tins so far it has taken me 3 weeks of testing and I am still not done testing wicks. But when someone comes on here and wants to know all my info and thinks by copying me they can have the perfect candle that pisses me off. :mad: As candlemakers we work very hard and spend lots of money to get the perfect candles. There is no way I am gonna give someone my secrets. Like I said it is one thing to ask for help it is another to want it all done so they can go ake there millons so they think :laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

As a newbie, I take in all your suggestions and advice, but I know that the 'perfect' candle or 'perfect' soap is subjective. Everyone has their own way of doing things and their own combination of ingredients that works best. That's why testing is so important. I've researched the waxes and the types of wicks that reputable people recommend (like CS). I've taken all the recommendations but did my own reading and made my own decision on what kinds of wax and wicks I wanted to try and potentially use for my candles.

I've had pretty good results with the recommendations by CS, but I'm curious as to perhaps another combination would give even better results. Thus, I'm testing different containers, wicks and 2 soy waxes.

I appreciate everyone's opinion and advice here at the forums. This board is filled with valuable information and it takes just a little time to do the search and read the posts that are of interest to you. And I think everyone brings their own experience and skills to the table, whether you've been making candles for 10 years or 1 month.

I'm very happy I found this place! :)

Happy New Year to all of you!

..... back to testing .....

I am a Newbee, and am in a different situation that I would like to share . I bought a candle factory and now have what it takes to make all sorts of stuff (no containers). What we have is five pallets of paraffin(all the same) and a huge supply of molds, wick, ect. One of the lead chandlers(since 1973!) has stayed around to show me how this place worked. She teaches at our local college and helps out every night. I feel that I am a very fortunate guy to have a private mentor to sort of "show me the ropes". I bought this place so that it may somehow help kids or maybe seniors (the last folks were helping M.R. and handicaped people with the profits). The former opperators just found a better contract with a paper co. and sold me the place. All of this said, I am still a true newbee and if I have learned anything from my coach it is that this buisiness takes YEARS to learn and there is no way around that fact!

I've been making soap for over 10 years and I'm just now going into business. But I will say, the $60 I spent on the hands-on soap making class was the best $60 I ever spent --- when it came to soap making. In 10 years, I've spent close to $15,000 on supplies, just for soap, nothing else. I've made a lot of soap. More than I can possibly use in a life time. A lot of soap'ish stuff was thrown away in the process of learning.

It's human nature to want the easy route... the get rich quick without much effort route. Life doesn't work that way. Talk to anyone who is rich and they will tell you it was a lot of hard work. Unless you are Paris Hilton.

I've known a lot of soap makers through the forums and have known many that started making soap for the money. Ha! Most quit when they realized it takes money to make money. Others figured out it's hard work to lug around 50 pound boxes of oils and chipping away at PKO in the middle of winter takes a certain amount of strength. Not to mention lifting and pouring a 30 pound pot of soap.

I do it because I love it. If I can make some money at it, well, that's a bonus. The hard day will be when my boys are in school full time and, if my business isn't making enough $$$, I will have to get a "real" job. Because, as we all know, working from home isn't a real job. /sarc :rolleyes2

I do it because I love it. If I can make some money at it, well, that's a bonus.

That's my attitude! What I get in money I usually end up putting back into the biz anyway (plus some :embarasse). I love creating so much though! I love the fact that it is MY business. I'm taking 5 classes next semester and working too, so I can take some time off and not stress over it. My education comes first! I can pick right back up where I left off, and won't lose a bit of sleep over it. I've been making candles since 2001 and soap since 2004, and both crafts are still around! LOL I'm sure they'll be there in May when I am done with my classes. :) I'm not out to get-rich-quick and never have been. If people are looking to get rich with candles or soap--they need to find a new profession pronto!

A few years ago me and my son bought a candle wax melting kit at a craft store for fun. And I got the idea in my head that I could sell them. At that time I had no idea what I was doing. That ended in a couple weeks and I never touched the melter again.

Last year I got the idea again and researched and researched and finally ordered my first supplies (real supplies). I would hate for all this to go to waste, but I am okay with it. It is a long process, but I have a mind full of ideas (on paper too) and am very excited about it.

I hate the thought of failing and the thought of making something that is not the best (that I could do). I am on my way to buying more supplies and have learned a lot from this forum.

I hate the thought of not being able to come up with a good enough candle to sell, but I will try until I get so frustrated that I give up.

But my point is that it is a little discouraging and a little bothersome when others say that "we're just in it for the money".

The thought of making a business out of this was a big motivation for me to put this much work into it and it doesn't mean I am just trying to put together a quick product for some quick money.

I did start out with "business" as my goal, but it doesn't mean that my business is any less because I didn't start this out as a hobby.

Sorry, hope I didn't sound rude. I have been searching forums for the past few weeks and this thread kept jumping out at me, So I finally read it and wanted to speak up about the "other side". I have had a lot of feedback and some great advice and it is much appreciated.

The thought of making a business out of this was a big motivation for me to put this much work into it and it doesn't mean I am just trying to put together a quick product for some quick money.

I did start out with "business" as my goal, but it doesn't mean that my business is any less because I didn't start this out as a hobby.

rty2chme. Starting to build a business takes a lot of effort and planning. It takes work as you said ... and as you know. Going back to the first post the people being discussed are the ones that just start with no preparation or knowledge. Not everyone starts as a hobby; some buy existing businesses others look at what is in demand and fulfill that demand.

It doesn't matter what the business motivation is ... it's how much time and effort (and yes, testing) you spend on product development. It's called paying your dues. And you have done that ...

IMO, I think this thread is an avenue for some of us to vent about the turn-a-quick-buck soap/B&B/candlemakers out there who annually show up for the Christmas rush with unproven/untested cr@ppy products that can make all of us "dues payers" look bad.

Judy's absolutely right, if you've paid your dues and are testing properly it's all good and this thread doesn't apply to you. However, there is one person I have in mind that started a month or so before Christmas, has this wax and that wax, a bunch of different jars and over 25 FO's listed and you know damn well not all of these were tested properly, or possibly never tested at all. AND, the twit was selling less than a month from the day the first candle was poured.......this type of person is who this thread is for!!