What wax for best hot throw???

If i'm not mistaking I think parrifin has the best hot throw?/right???

I plan to get my supplies from either peaks or candle science who ever is cheapest at the time I order LOL...

Just wanted a suggestion on a parrifin wax

with good hot throw for a beginning Chandler.

Edited by ILikeWaxMelts

Oh boy, get ready for some "fun":laugh2: The wax with the best throw is the one that works for you. For example, my favorite is the paraffin from The Candle Source, but I am trying to find a good substitue for it because the shipping is a killer. I may have found something similar with the IGI 4794 (paraffin) mixed with GB415 (soy).

Interestingly, several weeks ago I contacted Peak's (live chat) and it was suggested to NOT mix waxes, but if I do, I should add very little soy.... I thought it a bit odd. I do it (mix waxes), and know a lot of experienced chandlers here who do as well.

I've always read that, generally speaking, paraffin has a stronger throw than soy, yet many disagree.

With soy, I personally find that GB 415 gives me the best throw, but the finished product looks a bit crappy, lol. However, it really doesn't bother me at this point because I make tarts, and I've just begun dabbling with container candles (what a headache! but still fun, if you know what I mean).

For me, the soy with the best throw is 415, followed by 464 and C-3. Haven't tried the 444, but I just might one of these days... as if I really need more waxes to play with!:rolleyes2

Paraffin waxes: as I said, I love the Candle Source wax, but shipping is a killer. Also like the 4630 and 4633 (both paraffins).

I tried parasoys like the TN70/30 and the IGI 6006 and the KY container parasoy wax.... not impressed.

I also love the CBL 129 from Candlewic (it's a paraffin), but again, I'm looking for a wax I can find from more than one supplier and closer to where I live - Lone Star is closest to me.

Another wax I've had very good results with is the JW9900 (parasoy) and the JW6800 (paraffin). Problem with these waxes is they're available only from JBN.

Hope I didn't make your head spin with all this info. Remember, these are the waxes that work for me, and they may prove to be duds with someone else. You may want to buy small quantities of a few waxes and test for yourself. HTH :smiley2:

Oh, forgot to mention that other waxes I tried include the Ecosoya PB and the KY parasoy for tarts. They just did not work for me - not at all :sad2: Probably am doing something wrong, but can't figure out what it is, lol

I've used both for tarts & haven't had a bad throw with either...so as Ravens mentioned earlier, it's what you find works for you...I also have used Pillar of Bliss from Nature's Garden & some others ..that work great for me, & may not be someone else's cup of tea, just depends. It's an expensive addiction & learning experience...but it's alot of fun! Welcome!

Terri

My experiences have been in line with Raven's as far as waxes. I use mainly Peak's and CS for supplies so hopefully you will have great luck with them as well.

I'm calling Peak's about their comments on wax mixing when I place my next order....doesn't make sense to me?!?!?

Shewill5, when you get in touch with Peak's, please let us know what they tell you about mixing the waxes.

I was really surprised when I received that answer, that I really should not mix two waxes; sure made no sense to me either. Will go look to see if I have kept a copy of the conversation, but I doubt it. i am wondering if that could have been a typo on her part? or a misunderstanding? :confused: I'm forever mixing waxes, lol

Shewill5, when you get in touch with Peak's, please let us know what they tell you about mixing the waxes.

I was really surprised when I received that answer, that I really should not mix two waxes; sure made no sense to me either. Will go look to see if I have kept a copy of the conversation, but I doubt it. i am wondering if that could have been a typo on her part? or a misunderstanding? :confused: I'm forever mixing waxes, lol

Will do. They are shut down until the 2nd, or 3rd and I am officially too except family gifts :yay:Honestly, I'm keeping my recipe unless they come up with a really excellent reason to not mix. Maybe it was new a new employee that said that?

Maybe it was a new employee, but it sure surprised the heck out of me. I've been mixing waxes for some time now and frankly I don't plan on changing unless, like you said, they can give me one excellent reason.

Then, what about waxes like the 6006 or TN70/30, JW9900, etc.? They are parasoy....

• 4 weeks later...
Maybe it was a new employee, but it sure surprised the heck out of me. I've been mixing waxes for some time now and frankly I don't plan on changing unless, like you said, they can give me one excellent reason.

Then, what about waxes like the 6006 or TN70/30, JW9900, etc.? They are parasoy....

Okay, I asked and Peak's tech support said they mix soy and paraffin all the time. They were pretty surprised that anyone from their company would say that. YAY!