Clam Shells & Vanilla

wildwings

This my experience with vanilla and clamshells.

My answer to this problem was only make enough vanilla that you can safely get sold quickly.

Vanilla and clamshells are a funny thing while the hot throw is not effected by the clamshell the cold throw does a change to a plastic smell. The wax you use also plays a factor strangely enough more soy in the mix the faster the smell seems to morph.

I know others do not seem to have a problem it maybe some of us are more sensitive to that plastic smell.

Edited by Vicky_CO

Do you have suggestions for calm shells that don't do this. I think I will orders some and give it a try and see if that fixes the issue.

:)

You could always request a sample from eClamshells, they will send you a few free and test with those =) That way you have nothing to lose =)

http://www.eclamshell.com/

The normal clamshell it seems everyone uses is item # 1524 I think =)

HTH

I love the convience of clamshells...but if they sit around for a few months, yuck. I am really done using them, I have the big 10oz ones from a co-op left and will sell them until they run out. But will have to really think about ordering anymore in any size. My clamshells made w/464 smells funky after awhile....I thought it was just me being picky.

:) Does anyone have recommendations for keeping vanilla true in clam shells?

I have a hard time with my cold throw on some vanilla scents in clam shells, they tend to get a kind of funky smell.

Thanks a bunch!

I don't know if this relates but I had some plastic/funky smell with my clam shells melts with some of my fos. I believe I was pouring at too high of temps. I now pour at lower temps of around 140-145F and that has seemed to get rid of the funky plastic smell.

Edited by redquilt
for clarification

I don't know if this relates but I had some plastic/funky smell with my clam shells melts with some of my fos. I believe I was pouring at too high of temps. I now pour at lower temps of around 140-145F and that has seemed to get rid of the funky plastic smell.

Well, I wish that was my problem but it's not because of pouring temps. I use 464 and I pour at around 100 degrees. Any higher and my tops look crusty and I think that is gross. I only get the smell if they have sat around for about 6mo or so. Maybe it also depends on the company who makes them. I have noticed some smell stronger than others to start with. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I sell mine too fast to sit that long. I hate to hear that. Because the stores that carry them have them sitting. I sure hope they don't get a yucky smell. Here is something else to think about. When there are many people smelling these or candles, they get germs. After awhile the germs make the candle smell bad. That is why so many candles at the stores smell bad. I don't send out little samples to be passed around for that very reason. I try to keep my stock new and not stock up. I also switch out my store's candles, so they always have fresh ones. The ones I pick up, I put were I know they will sell fast. Just some tips and thought. :)