Best way to fill

kyme1911

OK so I love my new Amber Tottle bottles...but OMG how do you pros fill malibu / tottle bottles. What are you tricks and helpful hints to fill them. I have been using a pyrex measuring cup and just re-heating it at the end of each pour when the lotion thicken back up. But it is a PIA, for sure.

post-11142-139458475004_thumb.jpg

You can make your own piping bag too. I was filling by filling a plastic baggie, snipping a hole and going from there. I think there needs to be a filling gun though lol.[/quote]

Ok well on that note, I bought one of these tools at target for $7 bucks. I wanted it to pipe the tops of my HP, and it works great. But do you think this would work?

oops forgot attachment

I tried that and it was a pain in the @$$. I quickly went back to using sandwich bags and snipping the corner which ended up being much easier. When I do larger amounts, I also use a freezer bag. I find to fill the baggy with lotion all I do is place the bag in a coffee mug, fold the opening over the mug rim and put the lotion in.

Edited by brown5052
son was talking to me and I type something that didn't make since.

I tried that and it was a pain in the @$$. I quickly went back to using sandwich bags and snipping the corner which ended up being much easier. When I do larger amounts, I also use a freezer bag. I find to fill the baggy with lotion all I do is place the bag in a coffee mug, fold the opening over the mug rim and put the lotion in.

OK, thanks!

I dunno if it would work or not Kyme. I haven't tried that.

Going to tell you to be careful with overfilling baggies too. You know there has to be something more simple but maybe there isn't. I'm not a fan of the baggie, but it's all I have to use. I'm not a fan of large needle stuff, because it never holds enough. That gun that you posted doesn't look like it would be a PITA, which is probably why it would be. I was thinking more along the lines of a lotion pump, but then that isn't going to likely get most of the lotion into the bottle type of thing.

I dunno if it would work or not Kyme. I haven't tried that.

Going to tell you to be careful with overfilling baggies too. You know there has to be something more simple but maybe there isn't. I'm not a fan of the baggie, but it's all I have to use. I'm not a fan of large needle stuff, because it never holds enough. That gun that you posted doesn't look like it would be a PITA, which is probably why it would be. I was thinking more along the lines of a lotion pump, but then that isn't going to likely get most of the lotion into the bottle type of thing.

I am going to have to try it both ways...looks like it will be a PITA, no matter what. lol

I was thining about getting one or two of these. Has anybody tried them? It has a wide mouth and holds 32 ounces. It's also a softer material squeeze bottle. They're cheap and will probably spend more on shipping. But, I think I would have an easier time filling bottles with it. I seem to be baggie challenged....:)

post-11673-13945847502_thumb.jpg

IF it's from Walmart you will need to be careful of the top. They do not screw off, but they can shoot off with semi pressure (it bites!) BUT since you brought that up, I think the Ketchup and mustard bottles are twist on and may work much better.

actually that doesn't look to be from Walmart, so as long as it has a twist on top, I think you might be good to go ... except filling it may or may not be a pain ... though funnels are always nice lol.

Edited by Scented

... except filling it may or may not be a pain ... though funnels are always nice lol.

That was my thought. That's why I like the syringes because you can suck the warm lotion up into the syringe. You would probably have to refill to get the amount needed for your container.

My thoughts on the baggie were that, my lotion is quite warm when I put it in the jars. How hot is that baggie going to be on my hands? Even the syringes get hot.

I like the piping tool idea. Basically a larger capacity syringe.

Scented, no it's not the ones from Wal-Mart. I was looking at the restaurant supply stores, which is why shipping is steep. The top is a screw-on so hopefully wouldn't pop under pressure. Might have to cut the tip down a bit to handle the thickness of the lotion. Thanks for the important safety tip, tho. I would probably be wearing it...

I mix the lotion in a large measuring cup and the opening of the bottle looks to be a nice size to pour into. I think I could actually get the lotion in that bottle as opposed to the ones I actually use for the lotion. Right now I'm using a bottle with one of the large pumps. But, it's difficult to get all of it out of the bottle. With the squeeze bottle, should be able to shake it down a lot better.

Yeah, that machine looks like the bomb. But I agree, would have to sell bunches of lotion.

I think I have tried everything and went back to the heavy duty ziplock bags. I prefer to fill after the lotion is cool. So the ziplock has been my best method. Nothing to clean either. Big pump worked but I was concerned with trying to clean it plus the lotion had to be poured into a gallon jug for the pump to screw on and of course that had to be cleaned too. I just went back to low tech and throw away.

• 3 weeks later...

I use the gallon sized ziplock bags too. I just add all my ingredients right in there ( put over a pyrex mixing cup and put the whole thing on the scale) and smush/kneed it around well until it is all mixed. One extra thing I do is to fold the "zipper" top part of the bag 2-3x to fit in baggie clips that I picked up at Ikea (they have them at Dollar Tree sometimes too). I use the biggest one for these. It helps to reinforce & keep the zipper from popping open when you squeeze the bag to fill the bottles and tubes. The side of the clip also works great as a squeegie to push the last little to the corner of the bag that is snipped (I use a smaller clip and fold over the "snipped" part so it doesn't come shooting out while doing this).

These are the clips I use:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/70083252

Your label is highly impressive what size labels and malibu tubes if you are ok telling? Labeling is a nightmare for me on everything

Thank you, I am old skool... I worked in a print shop in my 20's before Computers. I did the paste up, and am not very proficient with one, these days. You'll will laugh but I did it with "Paint" in my standard accessories. I found some antique labels and blew them of 400% and cleaned everything off it except the frame (love Vintage) my friend turned the frame into a "gif." and I then layed the frame over my normal background and added the text. I print them in color on a full sheet of white label paper. Then I will sit and watch TV and cut a whole bunch out. It is more work, but cheaper and it gives me the look that I would NOT be able to afford otherwise. Labels are a big problem, but where there's a will there is a way.

OH....my malibu "Tottle" bottles are 6oz (from jody's soap), I get about 19 bottles with one tub of lotion base.

Good Luck with your labels! Don't give Up!:smiley2:

Looks like you've already gotten the spectrum of answers, FWIW we also use the ziploc bag method and have found it the best option. We pre-make small batches of our recipe for lotion and only fragrance by % as we make for retail just weighing bag on a scale before we add scent. We mix by kneading in bag (as has already been mentioned) and have very little waste, if any.

• 2 weeks later...