Crushed Corn Cob

PAgirl89

It's easier to go buy a giant bag at your local pet supply; it's dirt cheap...they sell it by the square foot instead of weight. It retails by Hartz pet brand for $3.52 for 615 cubic inches, or 10 liters. I live in soybean/corn country, and wouldn't dream of "harvesting" this insanely useful, yet thrifty product.

Fascinating thread. Here in the wild west, we use corn cobs in little wooden shacks with half moon air vents cut into the wood on land that perks well. The corn cobs definitely hold the aroma.

Seriously, what a great way to recycle. Can I just crush up some dried out corn cobs and scent them for a sachet? Is it that easy? (Unused ones of course.)

Bliss,

I learned on this forum to go buy wood shavings at the pet store (PetsMart) for firestarters. $2.50/sq foot makes like 10 cases of 144 each.

Ok, I'll go look for corn, but it would still be great to toss a cobb into the shredder if I had one.

The freshener works great in muslin bags, just make sure it's dry before putting it in the bag or the oil will stain the fabric. I bought the 4x6 muslin bags and it holds about 2oz of freshener. I retail it for about $2.00 a bag. I also package it in 8oz mason jars with daisy lids for $5.50 a jar. Most like the bag though - it's more convenient and practical.

• 4 years later...

Do any of you have an estimation of how long I need to let the corn cob and FO sit so that it's dry enough to put in organza or muslin bags?  I'm making a bunch of wedding favors and I just realized I hope I started this project enough ahead of time for that to settle before I bag 'em up.