Michaels wax and wicks

Hi, everyone! :wave: It seems like I haven't been on the board in forever!! I can remember when I couldn't go through a day without checking in to see what was new - but, life got busy, as it does for everyone. I have a new grandson - Cameron Edward is 5 months old!

OK - to my question. A friend of mine's son and girlfriend would like to make candles in tins for Christmas presents. They want to buy the wax and wicks at Michaels, but I have no clue what size wick they should use with a 4" tin.

I would give them some LX wicks that we have in stock, but - again - I have never tested the Michaels wax.

Can anyone give me a starting point for them?

Actually, I am still trying to talk them into holiday shaped melts and buy a tealight burner.....I think that would be safer.....

My suggestion. Don't buy the crap wax from Michaels. Get a decent, professional, candlemaking kit from a refutable wax supplier like Peaks. The kits have everything they need to make candles in the kit and it makes a wonderful gift.

They can buy the tins at Michaels but honestly if they have never made candles before why are they starting off with tins??:confused:

Get them a soy jar kit, or a votive candle kit, or a pillar kit. Then if they want to continue making candles and learn how to make candle tins they have the basic candle making done first.

The wax at Michaels is from Yadley in Riverside, CA. They have their own formulas and do not generally sell to the public. They have also selected their wicks for their wax.

My very first candles were with that stuff. Quite expensive, but easily available over the counter. If they don't mind paying $5/pound for paraffin and 10 times what the wicks and tabs are worth, they will likely be able to make a good candle. Just follow the formulas. There are a few books there too that have formula's in them.

I wasted a lot of money on the professional wax believing bogus ads like "CB-135 with Superior Scent Throw," etc. Now that I am settling down with a few IGI brands and palm and bees wax formulas, its looking good. But man, all that money spent on misrepresented pro stuff could have bought a lot of stuff from Michaels.

I would not buy fragrances from Michaels. The Yadley FO's are too weak and too expensive. Better to get FO's from any of the preferred sellers that our forum members use.

Edited by EricofAZ

The wax at Michaels is from Yadley in Riverside, CA. They have their own formulas and do not generally sell to the public.

Actually its Yaley's and they do sell to the public. You can get wax online at www.yaley.com. Plus they sell to various crafting outlets like Michael's so you can find them everywhere. However, their waxes are overpriced and you can get better wax and candle supplies for less at any candlemaking supplier. You will most definitely spend a lot less getting a candle kit from a candle supplier with everything in it than going to Michaels and buying everthing seperate. In addition it will be of much better quality.

On a side note-- I have been using CB135 wax for several years and get great H&C throw with it. Like any soy wax it takes lots of time and testing to produce a great candle. This is exactly why I think its best to go to a good candle supplier to get your candlemaking materials.

Thanks, everyone, for the responses.

These are two young college kids just trying to save money on Christmas presents and make them themselves. I will check the kits, though. Maybe the kits will make enough for what they need.

I suggested the melts, and the tins and warmer pads are a good idea! We have the fragrances and dyes for them to use. I have a feeling they are going to do this one time for the holidays and that will be it...unless they get "bit" by the candlemaking bug!!!! :laugh2:

My suggestion. Don't buy the crap wax from Michaels. Get a decent, professional, candlemaking kit from a refutable wax supplier like Peaks. The kits have everything they need to make candles in the kit and it makes a wonderful gift.

They can buy the tins at Michaels but honestly if they have never made candles before why are they starting off with tins??:confused:

Get them a soy jar kit, or a votive candle kit, or a pillar kit. Then if they want to continue making candles and learn how to make candle tins they have the basic candle making done first.

I think they wanted to do the tins because they thought it would be safer....