Doctor says I cant be around soy anymore...

I have endometriosis. I recently went in for surgery to have a ovarian cyst removed. When I came out of surgery I was told they also had to remove one of my ovaries, my appendix, do a bowel resection and work on my right kidney. All because the endometriosis has gotten so bad.

I was given a list of things my doctor wants me to start doing to help with the endo. One of the things on the list says "Stay away from soy products". My post op follow up appt is not till the begin of Nov. so I wont be able to ask him till then if this includes soy candles or not.

Does anyone have exp. with soy and the effects it has on endometriosis?

Looks like I may have to leave the soy behind and focus on paraffin or palm. I do love palm but I have spent so much time and money on soy I will be very disappointed if I have to change now :(

I stay away now from making candles.Husband does it.With Breast cancer I want to protect my lungs.Having the cancer gene now is scary and I don't want to breathe so many chemicals like I did before. I was around the candlemaking for awhile after diagnosis.Doctor didn't seem to think it would hurt but about 2 months ago I was overcome with a scent and then another etc so I got away from it. I was told no soy products to eat but soy is in so many things we eat.Eating a candy bar, frozen products and so much more.It is the last thing on the ingredients and from what my nurse told me that there is very little in those. I would never eat something that said Soy milk or soy products etc. There has to be alot of soy in that.I drink a vitamin drink and it has soy.Figure that out. We all need vitamins and I thought this would be good for my health and for my wanting to gain back my 12 lbs I lost. Now I need to talk to my doctor about that.

I take Tamoxfin. A anti estrogen pill. Then if I eat a soy product it defeats the pill.I try to stay away from the soy hours before I take my pill to get it in my system and make sure no soy is eaten for quite sometime.I talked to my nurse and breast surgeon and they seemed to think OK but not sure what my oncologist will say Tues.

I just have a different opinion about candlemaking now.You don't have cancer so that is a difference.Breathing the chemicals might not hurt but I have to believe it would not be good for me.I am now very sensitive to cigarette smoke when someone lights one near me.I was around my husband smoking for 42 years. Now it really makes me sick. I have a hard time breathing. Really hard catch my breath when I smell it. That goes to show you how bad cigarettes are. As time goes on it gets worse.Could be my problem being around the fragrances now too. I think I am having withdrawal symptoms. :confused:

LynnS

Soybeans are processed for both oil and protein. I think the doctor is talking about soy protein products rather than soy oil. I remember hearing about chemicals in soybeans that act like hormones in the body, which could be an issue with endometriosis. You wouldn't find these chemicals in oils like Crisco or soy wax. It would be difficult and unnecessary to avoid soy oil, but you can easily avoid processsed foods like soy milk, protein bars, etc. and check ingredient labels for soy protein.

Double check with the doctor but I believe that's the deal.

This was discussed in another thread recently. From what I understand soy protein is the trigger in soy allergy issues - food allergies - and from what my Mom's oncologist has told her regarding hormonal/estrogen related issues. From what I have learned and like Top mentioned soy protein is not present in soy oil.

I have endometriosis. I recently went in for surgery to have a ovarian cyst removed. When I came out of surgery I was told they also had to remove one of my ovaries, my appendix, do a bowel resection and work on my right kidney. All because the endometriosis has gotten so bad.

I was given a list of things my doctor wants me to start doing to help with the endo. One of the things on the list says "Stay away from soy products". My post op follow up appt is not till the begin of Nov. so I wont be able to ask him till then if this includes soy candles or not.

Does anyone have exp. with soy and the effects it has on endometriosis?

Looks like I may have to leave the soy behind and focus on paraffin or palm. I do love palm but I have spent so much time and money on soy I will be very disappointed if I have to change now :(

You poor woman! I feel your pain---literally. I've had endo for 20+ years and know what a lousy companion it is.

I'm certain the soy your doctor is advising you to avoid is product you would consume via digestive methods, not candlemaking.

I wish you well in your recuperation and you will be in my prayers.

Lynn, I am also a breast cancer survivor...and a vegetarian, so my diet still includes some soy. I take a natural alternative to Tamoxifen and my onc has told me that, within reason, soy is not going to be harmful. But, as stated already, that means as consumed in the diet. I haven't heard a thing negative about working with soy wax. I totally understand your aversion to breathing chemicals, etc. I've been vigilant about that too since my diagnosis 2 years ago. However, if you are using phthalate-free fragrance oils, you shouldn't have any hormonal disruptions from them. Did you have to go through chemo? That can certainly mess with your sense of smell!

It's very scary, after having dealt with cancer, to not be afraid of everything that goes into your body, through eating, breathing, drinking.... All we can do is try the best we can to eliminate unnecessary "evils" while still living a normal and relatively worry-free life. Cancer does NOT rule.

Edited by Catlover

Just take reasonable precautions with breathing fumes of any kind. Wear a comfortable mask (if such a thing exists) and have good ventilation wherever you making your products. I should take my own advice. These fumes are at times quite intense and can easily overwhelm or tax our respiratory systems; so I keep my big window fan on to pull those fumes out. It helps a lot. Hang in there and I'll mention you in my prayers tonight. HTH.

Steve