about that scentsy thing..

LuminousBoutique

So how should we handle the situations where we are juried, and sign up to do a handmade market... yet we arrive to find a scentsy booth? I know what I WANT to do.. I WANT to march up to the promoter and ask why I had to jump through hoops and prove my process, yet there is a scentsy vendor set up in a prominant location by the front door, and I am tucked in the back. I paid for my booth the same as them, but I actually do hand make every single thing in my booth... and they, obviously, do not. So I think I have every right to be ticked off.

How do you handle it, or how would you handle it? Its my first time at this show. Our farmers markets stay true to themselves and do NOT allow scentsy sellers, so this is the first time I've run into this problem at a TRUE handmade marketplace. I've seen them at boutiques but thats expected.

Because its my first time at this particular show, and I am not doing well, my first instinct is to calmly and as politely as possible, bring up the subject, and possibly risk a bit of bad blood with the promoter. I dont have much to lose, aside from my booth fee *sigh*.

so.. something along these lines?

Dear promoter... while I understand there is a market demand for these products, I signed up for this show and paid my booth fee understanding that this was a HANDMADE marketplace and that resellers of any kind were not allowed. This was a juried process, and I would assume that a company as large as scentsy, and with as many local ties as it has, could not have slipped through that juried process unseen.

I am asking for an explaination as to why they are allowed at this show, in such a prominant location, selling goods they have had no hand in making, if this truly is a handmade marketplace as I was led to believe and paid to participate in.

yaddayaddayadda...

You may want to consider asking if they would accept Avon or Pampered Chef into their show. Scentsy sellers are in the same category. This comes off of the Scentsy site:

"Direct selling is the up-close-and-personal sale of products or services. Have you ever purchased Avon products from someone you knew? Then you’ve been involved in a direct selling transaction.

Direct sellers (also known as consultants or representatives) work as independent contractors, not employees, for the companies that make the products or services they sell."

or refer them to this link that the above quote came from:

http://www.scentsy.net/en-us/home-candle-business.aspx

I wonder if they just don't understand that these are sales representatives that work on commission. Are they selling just the warmers too? That would give me the most heartburn ... but even if it's just the melts ... it is not right.

Edited by Judy, USMC
added warmer question

You simply let the promoter know that Scentsy isn't a company that handmakes anything regardless if it's your first show or your 200th. Vendors have an uncanny ability to falsify their products to get into juried shows. If need be, you print a copy of the website portion that Judy pointed out and you let the show organizers know.

Scentsy isn't the first to do this. Mia Bella wasn't the first either, but at least people started to learn.

We had a similiar expereince last weekend. It was promoted as a hand-made, hand-crafted art fair and no selling of products that were not hand-made. We along with all the other vendors had to send pictures of our products and pic's of us actually hand crafting them to prove they were indeed hand made and not something bought and was being resold or that they were avon, scentsy, pampered chef etc. There were a few vendors there (one was scentsy, another was a person with children's books I think it was osbourne or something like that and another that had spices or something) all of which were not hand-made by the vendor but they were rep's for these companies and trying to sell the products. We did inquire as to why they were allowed when they specifically stated they would not be allowed and the answer was this.... They did not have enough hand-made vendors to apply so to fill the remaining spaces they opened it up to other vendors simply to fill the spaces. This was a juried committee as well and they said they allowed what they deemed to be the least offensive (as far as non hand-made items). They did however put all three next to each other in the back. I sympathize with you as it did make me angry as well that they were allowed after all we had to do to prove we made our products. And I would be steaming mad if I were in your position and the non hand-made vendors had the premier spot. All worked out for us as we kicked their butts, but, nonetheless if you're going to make rules then all need to adhere to them, not change the rules so you can make some money by allowing the ones you specifically stated would not be allowed. Maybe the same thing happened where you are, but, if that were the case they should have given all the vendors who actually make their products the premier spots. I would definately inquire about that as nicely as possible so as not to burn a bridge for future shows. I know it's difficult when you're angry and it cost you sales and money.

You may want to consider asking if they would accept Avon or Pampered Chef into their show. Scentsy sellers are in the same category. This comes off of the Scentsy site:

"Direct selling is the up-close-and-personal sale of products or services. Have you ever purchased Avon products from someone you knew? Then you’ve been involved in a direct selling transaction.

Direct sellers (also known as consultants or representatives) work as independent contractors, not employees, for the companies that make the products or services they sell."

or refer them to this link that the above quote came from:

http://www.scentsy.net/en-us/home-candle-business.aspx

I wonder if they just don't understand that these are sales representatives that work on commission. Are they selling just the warmers too? That would give me the most heartburn ... but even if it's just the melts ... it is not right.

Yep its the warmers too :(

I think I'm going to ask for some of my booth fee back, or free entry to the next show.

Good luck. This has been happening at "craft" shows for years....and yes, juried, too. It is sad, but promoters are interested more in money than in running quality shows. Yes, it is very hard to "stick to your rules" and get quality vendors. I know...as I have promoted many shows over the years. It is much easier to just let anything in.....and our craft shows are suffering. Sad but true.

You cannot change the promoters and what they do. You can, however, let them know your thoughts PROFESSIONALLY of course. And you can choose NOT to do the show again. I have seen some really kick-a$$ shows die because of this. Eventually the show will weaken and possibly die....as the customers slowly start to figure out that they are not getting quality crafts, as advertised.

Promoters need to realize that they do not make the show, but the vendors do. But most don't. Sad but true.

P.s. When this happens, let the marketing of Scentsy work for you. Post a large, clear and visible sign letting the customers know that your melts work on Scentsy warmers. Guaranteed you have a wider variety of fragrances than they can offer. Just a suggestion. Works great for me. My melts have tripled in sales! Thanks Scentsy!! LOL

I would tell the promoters. On some applications I have received they state that if you have non-handmade items or products not on your app at your booth, you will be asked to leave(or some say not able to come back).

In my area, if it is supposed to be all handmade and isn't...the customers complain.

Trudi

• 4 weeks later...
P.s. When this happens, let the marketing of Scentsy work for you. Post a large, clear and visible sign letting the customers know that your melts work on Scentsy warmers. Guaranteed you have a wider variety of fragrances than they can offer. Just a suggestion. Works great for me. My melts have tripled in sales! Thanks Scentsy!! LOL

That is an awesome idea! My craft show today Scentsy was across from me and the guy from the booth comes over and says about the clamshells, well I am selling these. I bet they dont work in my warmers, I said I bet they do. He says well what makes your so special . . . mine are cheaper by $2.00 than yours and I hand poured mine. He walked away!

That is an awesome idea! My craft show today Scentsy was across from me and the guy from the booth comes over and says about the clamshells, well I am selling these. I bet they dont work in my warmers, I said I bet they do. He says well what makes your so special . . . mine are cheaper by $2.00 than yours and I hand poured mine. He walked away!

Good for you! What the "Scentsy" sellers are saying (that only their "bricks" will work in their warmers) is a marketing ploy. How many times have you heard that something is the "best", "the only one", etc etc. So rather than bad-mouth a competitor, work off of it.

We all know they use the clamshell molds, just slightly changed to their specifications. And we all know pretty much wax is wax and heat is heat.

I have made a rather large colored sign I post with all of my melts. And they are the scalloped shaped ones, not clamshell. My sales of my melts has over tripled this year, at least! So keep on marketing Scentsy!! LOL

Yep I have a sign that says ".5oz more, $2.00 cheaper, and HANDPOURED in OGDEN, UT"

Utah is scentsy central so I run into it everywhere.. even had a lady try and sell it to me at the childrens museum. I was kinda nasty to her, given the location. I was like.. "REALLY? I'm trying to enjoy a day with my children, not be sold scentsy tarts by some random woman.. its pretty rude to just walk around handing out cards to a captive audience... and BTW I make tarts that are cheaper and blow scentsy's out of the water.. and they work in scentsy warmers..." (by now a few women were listening that she had given cards to..) and I said "so, if any of you ladies are interested in buying some GOOD tarts, ask me for my card!" my husband couldnt stop laughing. 4 women came up and got my card, too! :yay:lol