A newbie question

Okay, so I'm a newbie. *waves* I've been making mostly jar candles and votives but I really want to make pillars. The problem is, though, that I don't have any money for molds right now. So I was showing my friend a picture of a candle mold and she said "oh, that looks like a cookie cutter" which made me think.... Could you use a metal cookie cutter as a mold for a candle?

Howdy and welcome to the board. :)

Technically, yes, you could, but it would be messy. A lot of us use them to make embeds by pouring out some in a pan and letting it start to harden then cutting them like cookies. Pouring directly into the citter would probably leak under the bottom. Not to mention, I've not seen any cookie cutters deep enough to be a pillar though they could be stacked. Look around, there are other things that can be used for molds. Coke cans with the top cut off, used and cut carefully! Even plastic drinking tumblers or juice cans. Be creative. Obviously make sure you use pillar wax.

Yeah, I was thinking about layering them. How could I get them to stick together, though? Hmmm. So many thoughts. *grins*

Also, in the same vein, what materials can't one use as a mold?

I really want to make chunk candles as well... but now I'm babbling. I've looked around the site and gotten so many ideas. ^_^

Hi there and welcome. If you are interested in making pillars, you can check out PEAK candle supplies. They have some 3 in pillar molds that are not from their normal line. They are still good molds, just a little thinner than the usual ones they have. The 3 x 3 3/4 molds are $1.80 each, and they have some 3 x 9 3/4 for $2.40. I have 10 of the smaller ones and they work out really well... HTH :)

OK. my bad, I just checked the site and they are out of the 3 x 3 3/4 molds. but they still have the 3 x 9. If all else you can cut them down fairly easily, or just pour 3 to 6 in..

Welcome to the board :)

In answer to what you can't use as a mold -- very little. Dishes, cups, empty milk cartons, toilet paper roles, orange juice cans and the list can go on, may be used for molds.

For instance you could use the dixie cups and make 3 oz votives ... pvc pipe to make pillar molds, old jello molds etc. The items are endless.

Wow, you guys are so creative! I'm at work right now, but you can bet your buns when I get home I'm trying out some of these great suggestions!

My most creative candle (though I gave it away as a present, or I'd get y'all a picture) was a small container candle that was actually a little martini glass I got from a second hand shop. I made it look like a red drink with a little white ice cube in it. :) I was so proud of myself, hehe.

When I first started making candles and didn't have a lot of money to invest in molds I found all kinds of things around the house to use. Just make sure that the bottom is not larger than the top. ( or you won't be able to get it out:p and yes I made this mistake.

When I first started making candles and didn't have a lot of money to invest in molds I found all kinds of things around the house to use. Just make sure that the bottom is not larger than the top. ( or you won't be able to get it out:p and yes I made this mistake.

Yeah but if it's made of glass, you can just break the glass and it will come out ;)