Customer from Hell!

annie123

Ok, last year I was taken for over $500.00 worth of goods by this little old lady from NC. She was placing large orders in my Etsy store but would said that she did not want to use Paypal so I made invoices using my Authorized.net merchant 's account but she seems to have a loooooooot of problems at checkout.

To make a long story short she accused me of taking money out of her bank acount, drove me nuts wanting to contact Authorized.net, wanting my account number, fed me a bunch of wild stories...and of course I never got paid.

I hadn't heard from her in 6 months, I stopped replying to her e-mails because I was fed up with her drama. She knows I will not sell to her anymore and yesterday she placed a large order on Etsy but did not pay using the Paypal checkout...because she probably wants to scam me again and I know that she is reselling the goods.

I have asked Esty to cancel the sale...I also want to send her an e-mail but I want advice on what to say so she will leave me alone!

I would love to drive to NC and kick her in the butt a few times but I guess that wouldn't be nice.:laugh2:

Edited by annie123

Ok, last year I was taken for over $500.00 worth of goods by this little old lady from NC. She was placing large orders in my Etsy store but would said that she did not want to use Paypal so I made invoices using my Authorized.net merchant 's account but she seems to have a loooooooot of problems at checkout.

To make a long story short she accused me of taking money out of her bank acount, drove me nuts wanting to contact Authorized.net, wanting my account number, fed me a bunch of wild stories...and of course I never got paid.

I hadn't heard from her in 6 months, I stopped replying to her e-mails because I was fed up with her drama. She knows I will not sell to her anymore and yesterday she placed a large order on Etsy but did not pay using the Paypal checkout...because she probably wants to scam me again and I know that she is reselling the goods.

I have asked Esty to cancel the sale...I also want to send her an e-mail but I want advice on what to say so she will leave me alone!

I would love to drive to NC and kick her in the butt a few times but I guess that wouldn't be nice.:laugh2:

Personally I wouldn't waste my time with an email and just cancel the order. I'd also ignore any communications from that person. Eventually they will get the hint and you save yourself from getting aggravated.

Might also add that imo it's not a good practice to change how you operate because someone doesn't want to use the method of payment you chose for your business. As most know you don't need a paypal account to use paypal ... and you don't ship until you've received clear payment.

Ha! Little old ladies from NC can be big time scammers. I run into a few every now and again ... mostly singles but sometimes travel in packs. I'm on the east coast ... wonder if she's from my neck of the woods?

Consider the possibility of sending her an email pretending you don't know it's her again. "In the past I tried to accommodate special requests for customers who did not want to pay utilizing PayPal. Unfortunately, I fell victim to what I consider to be a scammer and never got paid for a large order. I have since established a personal policy that I will only accept PayPal for orders requiring immediate shipment. I will accept certified bank checks and money orders, but these orders will not be shipped until the payment has been received and completely cleared through the bank. Sorry that one bad experience has forced me into this policy."

Got this from a friend who got bitten by a sweet old lady, too!

Don't you have a written policy on your Etsy store about accepting payments and shipping, etc. If not you should put it in writing. Never send an order without being paid first.

In her case where she complained 'you took money out of her account' if you didn't receive it you weren't paid. Its her responsibility to cancel the order with her bank and get her money straightened out.

Seems to me a $500 purchase for candles from an individual/stranger who does not have an established wholesale account with you might be a bit suspicious.

I never ship before getting payments but this case I made an exception because she did pay for the first small order but she always had some problems with checkout and at first I tought she didn't know how to shop online...she was driving me crazy and I didn't want to be rude because she was a little old lady.

Etsy has cancelled the sale and I am just going to ignore her.

But I am sure she will try with some else because she buys from other vendors on Etsy, so she is from Hudson NC on Mac Drive and even if she pays for her order she will have some kind of problems when she gets the order.

just sounds like a mean scammer old lady to me!! I hate to admit it but my great grandma was like that :rolleyes2 She would buy things, use them up, and make stores take them back... or blame things on them that werent their fault.. and make them give her cash refunds.. she would do it to anyone. She did it with a school fundraiser and made the "top seller" lose their prize. She was a B-i-t-c-h if i ever met one.. granted she had a very hard life but that was no excuse to treat people badly (she abused my grandma until the day she died and grandma was 65 years old still getting bullied)... sometimes little old ladies make the absolute WORST customers. I am leery of them, especially when they, from the get go, make really specific, pushing the line kind of requests.

Glad you got etsy to cancel it!

How do you know that this is even a lady, let alone an old one? Not trying to sound mean (seriously), but many scammers are very intelligent and crafty young men masquerading as poor, "helpless" women. They do this to warrant sympathy and to reel trusting people in. Gender, race, nationality, religion, and age are complete mysteries on the internet.

That said, I am very sorry that you got screwed over so badly.