NGI Xcel

For those of you using NGIs Xcel wax, I'm wondering how the wax is working for you (CT/HT, appearance, etc.). If you can please let me know the good and bad of what you've experienced.

Thanks!

Edited by Jena

I'm also very interested to find out the prevailing opinion. I know there was a lot of testing done when it was first released, and seemed to be superior to the Advanced variant, so I've been going through old posts---but don't seem to find a definitive response on it.

My local supplier has now started carrying Ecosoya in addition to Golden Brands, and I'm going to grab a case the next time I'm close to them (it's a 90-minute drive, but worth it to save the shipping costs). We've been using Golden 464, but get frustrated with the sometime bout of frosting, rough-tops or tunnelling, despite being consistent with melting/pouring/cooling temps and times.

I have been testing the excel, in between the GG addiction I have. I go back and forth between the two because I'm not coloring the soy, and I need my color fix.:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:So I have what I think is a perfect soy blend now. I have been blending the 464 and excel 50/50 and I love it. Well you are probably wondering why I am blending:confused: because I can get the 464 locally (great HT and Ct) but I love the creamy look of the excel (that I can't get locally) not to mention the HT/CT so to help keep the cost down (shipping) I started blending the two. You all have to think I'm crazy but I love this blend. Now if I could get the color not to frost, like some of the seasoned candle makers here, I would be in heaven:laugh2::laugh2:I have tried everything I can think of and it always shows it's not so lovely head in the end. So here is some input for the two of you and if you know how to get beautiful color maybe we can share the secret:laugh2::laugh2:

Ah, thank you. Never heard of it. I've made exactly 4 candles in my life. The first three don't count because it was a class and someone else picked out the wax, wick, fragrance and container, and controlled the temperature. All I did was pour. I've made one when I did it all! Woohoo!

Edited by MissMori

Thanks for the input, Soy327. Have you tried Xcel on it's own? If so, what did you think? I have some 464 (& 444) on the way, so I'll see how I do with the frosting and let you know. I'm going to try blending it with Xcel and see how that does.

How do the GG candles do for you? Right now, I'm only doing container candles, and looking to try others.

I don't feel the xcel on it's own has the HT it should be capable of, so in my mind:laugh2::confused: mixing it with the 464 gives me the best of both worlds. Keep in mind I do let my candles cure for at least week if not longer. The exception is making one up for someone special and I still usually have some cure time. But I love honken strong candles:laugh2:

Glass Glow I love this wax. It is so beautiful and kind of a piece art of it's own. I'm sure you have seen pictures of it here. IMO it has to be poked and repoured or heat gunned lightly, it is a little more work. You just have to get the hang of it. I use the 9oz hex jar because it's easier for me to wick. I have only been making candles now for 2yrs. So experience is the key and I'm sure I'll get better and learn more as I go, This forum has help me alot. You should read up on GG and try it. There are alot of people here that will help you.

A soy blend or parasoy blend? I really don't read alot about people blending soy only and I think that if you are blending paraffin and soy you are defeating the purpose when it comes to soy:laugh2::laugh2:Hope I'm making sense. I have thought of it myself and just won't give in. Not that I am bashing paraffin it's just that I prefer soy or palm wax over paraffin..

Thanks for the feedback. (It would be good if this site had individual posts for the various waxes where we can post reviews and work together to discuss issues we're having.) I feel the same as the two of you. The CT & HT of the Xcel is OK. Probably not as good as it could be since I had to cut my FO load from 8% to 5% to try and control the excessive bleeding (didn't solve it though). If I can keep the candles cool, the tops do look great. I'm going try blending it with 464 & 444 and see how it goes.

While I really want to stick with soy, the frustration of soy has been getting me thinking about going to a parasoy blend. I'm finding that only about 10% of my customers really seem to care if the candles are 100% soy. Most want great looking/performing candles regardless of the wax type.

I did a some looking around, and GG seems like it might be fun to try. Thanks for the tip! Whose wax are you using?

A soy blend or parasoy blend? I really don't read alot about people blending soy only and I think that if you are blending paraffin and soy you are defeating the purpose when it comes to soy:laugh2::laugh2:Hope I'm making sense. I have thought of it myself and just won't give in. Not that I am bashing paraffin it's just that I prefer soy or palm wax over paraffin..

I don't think so at all. I add a little bit of paraffin to help with the HT, frosting etc. I love the look and the burn of blending the two. Soy has a thick creamy appearance and is less opaque. I suppose if I was trying to market my candles to have all of the "benefits" of soy, but I'm not. I had a specific look and burn I was trying to achieve and I found it with blending. I've tried most of the soy waxes out there and was never happy with the overall results. Just a matter of preference I suppose.

Hi Craftmaster,

If your post is for me, I am using the Xcel for containers.

(sorry, I'm going to get on my soapbox for just a minute.):(

I had been using Advance and switched to Xcel because it has a higher melt point than Advance so I thought it would hold up better in the warmer summer months. Which I guess it does so long as you don't add any FO. I dropped my FO load down to as low as 3% and the tops still bleed profusely. I still have some inventory made with Advance @ 8% and they've been looking fine. Many people have been experiencing this same issue with Xcel and NGI is aware of the problem, yet continues to blame the problem on the FOs. I guess NGI feels it's better to bury their head in the sand and pretend everything is alright. So my experience and conclusion is that Xcel is not compatible with FOs. So for anyone making scented candles where the temperature gets above 80 degrees, then Xcel isn't the wax for you.

Hi I am new here, but have to agree about the problems with Xcel. I had hoped once the weather cooled the sweating of the FO would stop, but even in 60 degree weather I am having the problem. Every fragrance oil I have used does it. It can't be incompatibility of oils because in that case nothing is compatible. It is a shame because other than that I really like the wax. It makes a pretty candle with a good throw for me. I tried blending some of the 464 with it to see if that helped, but a few days into curing..there was that seepage again :(

Back to the drawing board I guess.

You mean using Xcell?

I have gotten some in a bag from a forumfriend in UK.

I self use CB 135.

To be honest I havent seen any difference. They work both the same for me. Price were I buy from is equal.

This woman has also sent me a candle using this Excell and again it wasnt difference in appearence then the 135.

But I live in a pretty "cold" country maybe thats why we dont have problems with them?

I have made just 2 batches so far of the Excel and the only difference I came across was that you didn't get the pull away from the Excel as you do with the Advanced. I made these back in July when it was 90 some degrees here and I did not have any bleeding or any other problems. I use Advanced BTW, I used to use 464 and hated the frosting so I went to Advanced and haven't looked back. I don't blend any of them with paraffin b/c well I prefer to have and offer soy not a soy blend, just my personal preference though and most of the people here are getting away from paraffin altogether. Not bashing any paraffin users or blenders out there. I need to get around to doing some more testing with the Excel but I just haven't had the time...yet.

Glad to hear a few people are having some success. Yes, the cooler climate will definitely help keep the bleeding in check. I didn't have any problems with bleeding when it was cold either.

Pleasureridge, glad to hear you're not having the problem. Except for the bleeding, I like Xcel. I had asked Theresa at NGI if the bleeding is a characteristic of the wax or if I possibly just got a bad batch. She never replied, so I have to assume it's characteristic of the wax and switched.

Jena, I have asked several question to their too but also no answer and this is a while ago. I think its not so custumerfriendly. I have heard from other people aswell.

Other website owners reply mostly within a day.

I think that they think they sell it anyway?:confused:

Hi Soy327, What fragrance load are you using when you blend the 464 and excel? I normally use 5-6% only. I've tried the 464 got it to pour very nicely, but my scent throw wasn't all that. I guess I probably didn't let it cure enough. I also tried the excel, poured beautiful, but not a good ht at all. When you mix these, do you notice the difference in the ht? Is it better, or is the 464 better by itself. What kind of wick did you use. I always prefer stabillo wicks. Any help would greatly be appreciated.

thanks

Sherely77, I am using 1oz pp unless I know it's a lighter FO then I will use approx 1.5 PP I have had some bleeding with different oils but after curing sometimes a couple of weeks it tends to absorb. It's still been abnormally hot here in Colorado I use the CD wicks. Hope this helps.

Hi, thanks for the info. I've been testing the 464 for awhile now with cd wicks, bc I always have good luck. I tried the 50/50 blend, it seemed okay. I am going to to the 75/25 blend like you said. I have an hourglass jar that is 6oz and it is so hard to wick this jar. Any suggestions on what size wick I should start? The top is almost 3 in then it narrow down the middle to 2". I was thinking of starting with cd 10. Any other advice? Thanks everyone for their input.