I want to make a NON crystalizing Palm

I have done a search for an hour now and can't seem to find where I read how to make the palm wax not crystalizing. I dug out an old sample of Glass Glow and another type container palm (don't remember what it is) and know that I didn't want it to crystalize when I purchased it. So, do they make a non crystalizing palm or is it all in the pouring/cooling process?

Why do you want a non-crystalizing palm? The crystalization patterns are unique and beautiful.

Don't know of any non-crystalizing palm wax sold in the US. Someone on this board from Australia has posted about using it but not sure where he gets it.

You can add enough soy to the palm to kill the crystalization and still have the benefits of the wax. I believe 25% or more will do it. This is based on what others have posted on this forum. I have not tried it myself but it sounds right to me as I do know from experience that I will lose some of the crystalization when adding 15-20% but still have enough for a weak pattern.

I also did some searching and found none. Did find a company that made it but they do not have any US companies that distribute it. That was over a year ago so things might have changed. I wanted to add this to soy to help with all the bad things soy does like the guy in Australia does. Don't remember who had it.

I have been working on a palm soy blend, and at 35% soy I was still able to get crystallization by pouring the wax at the right temp. Granted it was lessened, and had more of a feather palm look to it. However, I think your best bet is going to be pouring the palm at cooler temps in unheated jars. The wax will still crystallize internally, but the cool wax hitting the cool jar will instantly start to solidify and no crystallization will occur on that part of the candle. You'd have to do some testing to determine which temps would work best of course, but I would try pouring just slightly above the melting point. If you want a quick example of how this would work. pour a small amount of cooled wax onto a aluminum cookie sheet (also cool). Once its cool, look underneath, it should look smooth and crystal free.

I agree the pattern is pretty, but for a certain wholesale customer that wants a deep solid color in their prim mason jars- this "pretty" look won't do. But I love the old tester I dug out of a box that I burned the other day. Not a lick of soot, and burned it all day without trimming. I miss those days.....I've been using 6006 and must trim to keep the soot at bay. I just don't know what wax I used, cause I didn't label that tester. I know it was palm, just don't know if it was GG or Candlewic Palm 1 (that's what it says on the bag) those are the only 2 I had bought to test. It didn't form a crystalization pattern, it just morphed into cauliflower after the first burn, so I quit testing. I thought THAT looks gross! It just goes to show you ALWAYS LABEL YOUR TESTERS! You never know what will happen and want to continue burning someday.

I've used both of those waxes and had them both crystalize to some degree. It's been a while since I used it but if I remember correctly the Candlewic one did more of a frosted crystalization than than a true crystalization. You might want to pour another sample on the cooler side and see if you can replicate that finish. Out of the 2 wax options that would be my guess to replicate it.

Hey there,

It sure is me who uses a soy / palm blend. ACS is Perth is the only place I have seen the non crystalizing container palm. I started using it in a blend about 12 months ago and have not looked back at all.

I have also experimented with using it on its own, and yes it is very nice, has a great throw, however the melt point is quite low so there are issues with hot weather.

The same supplier also now has a non crystalizing pillar palm which I will be trying soon for some of our shaped melts where we do not want the feathering.

If you have the glass glow, no matter what temp you pour it you are still going to get crystalization, I have already tried that :)

We only use glass glow now for one of our lines in limited scents as I have found at least here is Australia that most people dont go the that look. Dont know why as it throws really well, once you have finished pulling your hair out getting the damn wicking right.

I am sure that David would ship internationally, however it would not be cheap I dont think. From what I have gathered so far it seems to be way cheaper for us to ship stuff from the States as opposed to shipping to the States. Go figure......

Well, I finished off the last bit of my mystery candle....it was nice, but it did do some weird cauliflower blooming after each burn. I guess that is why I stopped testing in the first place. UGLY! But the burn and scent throw were awesome! Going back through my notes, I noticed about the time I would have poured that candle I was adding coconut oil, So pretty sure I added some of that and soy too. I wonder if that non crystallizing palm from Australia is a blend of some sort to make it not crystalize? Well, I am gonna play around with both GG and CS container palm and mix some things with it to try to get the same result. I don't like that cauliflower stuff though! Have to try and tame that down.:confused:

Richard, it was you... I have contacted a company in the US that has the wax but they sell by the pallet only. How much in US dollars does this wax cost in Australia and the weight? These are 50 boxes , 44.? lbs at $.80 per lb. plus freight and is in a solid form. What soy are you mixing with it and %? The cost would be higher than the 435 I use but if it took care of my problems it would save time. Need to see if I should do a co-op or something like that. Before I commit I need to check it with my wax, as do we all and that is not possible unless we buy from you guys. Could you check shipping to 41018 for 20lbs just to test? Thanks

Hey there,

It sure is me who uses a soy / palm blend. ACS is Perth is the only place I have seen the non crystalizing container palm. I started using it in a blend about 12 months ago and have not looked back at all.

I have also experimented with using it on its own, and yes it is very nice, has a great throw, however the melt point is quite low so there are issues with hot weather.

The same supplier also now has a non crystalizing pillar palm which I will be trying soon for some of our shaped melts where we do not want the feathering.

If you have the glass glow, no matter what temp you pour it you are still going to get crystalization, I have already tried that :)

We only use glass glow now for one of our lines in limited scents as I have found at least here is Australia that most people dont go the that look. Dont know why as it throws really well, once you have finished pulling your hair out getting the damn wicking right.

I am sure that David would ship internationally, however it would not be cheap I dont think. From what I have gathered so far it seems to be way cheaper for us to ship stuff from the States as opposed to shipping to the States. Go figure......

Sharon, Do you mind telling us the supplier? If you don't feel you can that's ok

I have searched and searched for this non crystalizing palm and only found the supplier in Austrailia.

http://www.hpwax.com/natural_wax.htm

I talked to a salesman in Chicago, his name is upstairs, if you need it let me know.

Said Candlewic and BitterCreek are a couple of their accounts.

Edited by Sharon in KY

I did come across that site but they don't list distributors in the US. I'll wait until Richard answers you.

Maybe we should see how many OP are interested in this wax. I can think of 4 right now in this thread.:laugh2:I haven't seen that wax on either site I looked at candlewic this morning. have you seen that non crystalizing palm on one of those supplier sites?

Edited by soy327

I did come across that site but they don't list distributors in the US. I'll wait until Richard answers you.

Maybe we should see how many OP are interested in this wax. I can think of 4 right now in this thread.:laugh2:I haven't seen that wax on either site I looked at candlewic this morning. have you seen that non crystalizing palm on one of those supplier sites?

They do not buy the non-crystalizing palm but do other waxes. I wish The Candlemakers Store would get it. But again if we did a co-op we would get it cheaper than a supplier would sell it for.

I just thought of something. Could it be that I poured it cool and that prevented the crystalization process?
Perhaps. I have not tried this with GG, but when I want a non-crystal look, I mix in a little soy and pour cool. Jump lines and surface crazing can be an issue without the added soy. The only palm wax cauliflowering I have experienced was with a few specific FOs. It doesn't happen with most, so that might be part of the cauliflowering issue you experienced. HTH :) Edited by Stella1952

I did pour the GG cool at 150 and got the jump lines. Nice color though and no crystalization but still had to poke relief holes. Then when I poured at 155 to 160 I got the crystals, but I cooled that one slower because I warmed the jar and covered with a box. So next, I think I will try to pour at 155 in a warmed jar and no box cover. That way I shouldn't have jump lines and shouldn't have the crystals. I am sure something else weird will happen then...lol

• 2 weeks later...