to double wick or not?

i make soy candles in 12 oz. Libbey status jars with ecosoya cb-135 wax and use an eco-10 wick. i only use one wick and the burn pool and the scent are great. well someone told me that i needed to use two wicks and that all soy candles use two wicks. is that true? i have always only used one wick in all my candles. i was also told that the best soy wax out there was cargill soy wax...but i dont think that is 100% soy.

and why use two wicks (unless the jar is really big)? any help would be great.

I make soy candles and only use one size 8 oz mason jar, so only one wick is needed for me. I was using wide mouth jars that drove me crazy wicking so i changed the size and my customer are very happy for the smaller candles so they can buy more scents at a time :shocked2: My customers also said that they dont want a candle with two wicks...Good thing I worked that out. :yay:

I have been making soy candles for over 10 years and never double wicked, even in apothcary jars. Some crafters do what they read or hear and they don't do the research for themselves, which can result in some safety consequences. I have seen double wicked jelly jars!! Can you imagine the heat generated from having two wicks in a jar - Candles must be wicked for safety first. It sounds like your wicks are working fine, everything put into a candle makes a difference - there is NO blanket rule that soy needs to be double wicked.

jaxx---they did not say what size the jar was. and my jars are right at 3" and the burn pool is 1/2" and it burns all the way down to the bottom evenly.

i dont think i could even get two wicks in the jar and if i did then it might be a big mess!

It sounds like what you are doing to me is working just perfect. I wouldn't change a thing! :)

Jackie

http://jaxxcandles.com

As some of the others have said, I also only single wick. I use 4" Apothecary jars with a soy / palm blend and if I do come across a scent that needs to be double wicked I will drop that scent, or just make it in tarts rather than jars.

Double wicking to me is a right PITA and I would rather not carry the scent then have to doube wick. Currently all of my Apothecary jars are only single wicked and they all burn beautifully.

There is a ton of misinformation out there re soy and parafin. If you have a candle that is properly wicked you will get great scent throw whether you single or double wick. I would not double wick unless you have found no other way. As others mentioned, its possible to single wick even a 4" Apothecary jar and get a great burn, wax consumption, and scent throw.

if you are having good luck with your candles..with one wick..i would not change one thing you are doing..

i would only go with 2 wicks if you can not get a total MP...

i use 2 wicks but my jars are 4" diameter..but depending on the fo..i use several sizes of wicks..i have not found i can use one size wick with all fo's...