Anyone using Square payment processing?

So.. Got my phone in 2 days, LOVE IT!!! I asked my husband, "Is it possible to be in love with a phone? He replied, "Apparently so - you haven't looked up from it in an hour"

Anyway, today I set square up yesterday - effortless.

Took my first payment today - also efforless.

I couldn't be happier. If my opinion changes, I'll post, but for now this is a great solution for me.

I guess you need a stylus for them to sign, though - my customer signed using her finger, but I think a stylus would be better an more official looking.

I was worried that she would be concerned about security, but she just thought it was cool....

I used only the square now and am very happy with it. I think I will have to pick up a stylus because I don't really like having people use their fingers on my iphone but other than that it is great. They seems to like the fact they can get an email receipt. I still have propay but think I will let it run out next year and just stick with square. the money was in my account the next day. love it

Cindy

Anyone using the Square app, and a stylus. I'd love to know how the stylus works out for you. If it works OK, I'd like to know which stylus you bought, which device you have, and from where you purchased the stylus. I have read a few reviews for stylus' and none seemed to work that great, but I am open to trying one out.

Thank you in advance.

Edited by JAVAEBOY

I have an iPhone and an iPad and I bought styli (or styluses) off of eBay. You can just search for iPhone stylus. They are VERY cheap and you might as well buy several to keep on hand. The electro-conductive foam tips on them wear out very quickly in my experience so having extras is pretty much a necessity.

Do keep in mind that the iPhone/iPad was never designed for thin lines and accuracy....it was designed for finger-use so accuracy never had to be high. So, even with a stylus the signature won't be great. But, a signature is a signature and really won't make a big difference....

I got my reader in the mail today and I am having a hard time getting the card reader to read any of the cards in my wallet. Is there a trick or any tips to get it to read?

I noticed a lot of people on SquareUp's help forum are having the same problem :/.

Even if I can't get the reader to work it's still cool because of being able to type in the card # & sign on the phone.

Wendy, check to make sure you have that reader fully inserted. I sat there like an idiot one time swiping a card over and over and not even getting the "swiped too slow" message or any other response. I finally realized I had to push that little buggar down another notch.

Other than that, it's not uncommon for me to still have to swipe some cards six to eight times. Other times I can get it the first time.

• 4 weeks later...

I'd like to re open the discussion on the square app. I recently got the Droid X and have been reading through the reviews in the app catalog. Looks to me like it is a great app. Very few negative comments. I'm seriously thinking of trying it but am curious of opinions other than the droid community.

Another update here.

Used square to process about 1/3 of my sales for a three day show this past weekend. Worked great. I usually had to swipe more than once - sometimes several times - but that ended up being no big deal. The authorizing and processing went fairly quickly with one or two exceptions. Only two customers requested having a receipt emailed to them, the rest didn't care about getting any receipt at all. Customers thought it was very cool and other vendors were extremely interested. I was tickled in how it made us look very trendy.

I thought it worked great, not only for sales but for our image, also.

Wendy, check to make sure you have that reader fully inserted. I sat there like an idiot one time swiping a card over and over and not even getting the "swiped too slow" message or any other response. I finally realized I had to push that little buggar down another notch.

Other than that, it's not uncommon for me to still have to swipe some cards six to eight times. Other times I can get it the first time.

Sorry to be a downer, but if swiping a card 6 or 8 times makes you look professional and/or trendy, I'm not seeing it. If it were my card, I'd be out of there in a heartbeat, then watching my accounts like a hawk to make sure every swipe didn't take money from me.

There's no way I'd put up with something like that in front of customers.

Just my opinion, of course.

A swipe in itself means nothing unless the remaining information is keyed in and then submitted for processing. You won't get to that point with any type of terminal unless the card is read first (or keyed manually).

Sorry to be a downer, but if swiping a card 6 or 8 times makes you look professional and/or trendy, I'm not seeing it. If it were my card, I'd be out of there in a heartbeat, then watching my accounts like a hawk to make sure every swipe didn't take money from me.

Of course.

You can take potshots at my professionalism iffen you want but in light of my alternatives I love that little gadget. To each their own.

I think everyone at this point is used to swiping a time or two or 5 to get it to read since most big businesses force us to swipe our own cards now. A Wal-mart cashier even told me that she keeps a plastic bag handy because their machines don't read the cards sometimes and has them wrap the bag around the card prior to swiping.

This is a good perspective though....maybe let the customer swipe their own card and hope the phone isn't damaged? Thank goodness most people use cash at craft shows.