Is there an all natural sugar scrub cube recipe?

krodriguez

Hmmm, I may be way off, but my understanding is the M&P is what makes the sugar scrub slightly solid so it will stay in "cube" form. I've seen several recipes for sugar cube scrubs posted, but they always have M&P. And I would think you would still need some type of emulsifier. I'm sure someone with more experience will post a response if it is possible to make this recipe without the M&P and e-wax. I'd be interested in the answer, too!

ETA: there are some "natural" M&P bases out there that don't have sulfates and such which should work in the recipe. Can't comment on whether there are any "natural" alternatives to e-wax. To be honest, I don't really know what e-wax is made out of and if it is natural or not!!

Edited by candlemama

if u do a search on the internet for Melt and pour sugar cube recipe you will find one with no ewax. m&p soap is the part u need for washing and it is what makes the sugar cube slightly firm.

You can purchase natural m&p bases.

Other idea

maybe try using cocoa butter shea or mango and sugar with the addition of a bit of a carrier oil. I think this would be oily but no soap in it.

Thank you for all of your replies. I'll let you in a little secret I use for a foaming sugar scrub. Because I like to stay "all natural," I use a cheese grater and grate African black soap into my sugar scrubs.

Works like a charm! African black soap is made of palm oil, plantain ashes and cocoa pods. Some of the best soap I have ever used! There really isn't a strong scent to it so you don't have to worry about it in your formulations.

True, pure African black soap looks like a big hunk of rock. But you can use a pea size to wash your hair and you wouldn't believe the lather! I'm hoping to also incorporate it into a sugar scrub cube as well.

Well I will get off of my "African" soap box now! :) Thank you ladies for all of your help.:yay:

Maybe you could use that African black soap in your sugar cube recipe.

I have read that adding a bit of milk powder and a splash of water to remelt soap helps it liquefy it if it is a natural cp soap.

You may have to play with it as far as how much oil to add

I have a recipe that I use soap shreds to make body scrub and i whip it in the blender with hot oils and it turns out nice.

So maybe (not sure on amounts but there are recipies you could estimate from)

soap shreds warmed or melted

oil ..heated then.. either magic bullet or blenderize it

cool then add sugar

Edited by katshe

Thank you for all of your replies. I'll let you in a little secret I use for a foaming sugar scrub. Because I like to stay "all natural," I use a cheese grater and grate African black soap into my sugar scrubs.

Works like a charm! African black soap is made of palm oil, plantain ashes and cocoa pods. Some of the best soap I have ever used! There really isn't a strong scent to it so you don't have to worry about it in your formulations.

True, pure African black soap looks like a big hunk of rock. But you can use a pea size to wash your hair and you wouldn't believe the lather! I'm hoping to also incorporate it into a sugar scrub cube as well.

Well I will get off of my "African" soap box now! :) Thank you ladies for all of your help.:yay:

Where can I get some African black soap? It sounds really interesting.

That sounds like a very good idea! Would I need a preservative if adding the milk powder and water to melt it down? I really don't want to use preservatives either. :(

You would only be adding less than a pinch if water depending on how much soap u use i think it is only a tb for a lb of soap. also you are making sugar cubes and you can keep them in a jar away from the shower and take them out with dry hands ... ...The milk and water are being added to soap Check out the link she has some ideas as far as preserving.

here are some instructions for rebatching your soap

http://www.pvsoap.com/instructions_for_rebatch.htm

Edited by katshe

You would only be adding less than a pinch if water depending on how much soap u use i think it is only a tb for a lb of soap. also you are making sugar cubes and you can keep them in a jar away from the shower and take them out with dry hands ... ...The milk and water are being added to soap Check out the link she has some ideas as far as preserving.

Thank you for the link! I think I will be experimenting tonight! I'll let you know how I come out.

Whoa Nellie! Those PV Soap directions are for their shredded soap base which must be very dry indeed. For rebatching I'd say a lot less liquid. For fresh soap - a splash will do. For older but still soft soap - a few tablespoons, maybe a bit more than a quarter cup if the soap is dry. A cup is huge. (note that kat also says just a little liquid!)

Edited by CareBear

Okay, the African black soap comes in a big hunk of like rock. I learned that to melt it down you have to grate it and add boiling water. So should I just grate the soap into the sugar scrub and not necessarily make it a liquid?

When I melted the soap down into a liquid, my sugar scrub cubes stayed to moist.

I use shredded soap in my body scrub recipe.

I add the shreds to hot oils then blend all in the blender...My soap for my body scrub is made a bit softer (40 on soap calc )so it will blend well.

You may want to heat it with a pinch of water to moisten before you add it to you scrub ingredients.

Do a small batch to test first.

You are making scrub cubes and the soap is what kinda molds the cube so it needs to be a bit moist or I don't think it will stick together with the other ingredients.

I do use a natural m&p soap for sugar cubes cause you need it to mold...I have not tried using my cphp for this. If I did I would use it fresh out of the oven so it would be pliable already then add oils to it let it cool a bit then add sugar.

i am not sure if this would even work...Just throwing ideas out there.

Edited by katshe

I use shredded soap in my body scrub recipe.

I add the shreds to hot oils then blend all in the blender...My soap for my body scrub is made a bit softer (40 on soap calc )so it will blend well.

You may want to heat it with a pinch of water to moisten before you add it to you scrub ingredients.

Do a small batch to test first.

You are making scrub cubes and the soap is what kinda molds the cube so it needs to be a bit moist or I don't think it will stick together with the other ingredients.

I do use a natural m&p soap for sugar cubes cause you need it to mold...I have not tried using my cphp for this. If I did I would use it fresh out of the oven so it would be pliable already then add oils to it let it cool a bit then add sugar.

i am not sure if this would even work...Just throwing ideas out there.

Black soap by nature is extremely moldable ( is that a word? lol ) You can break it up and mold it back together in about any shape you want without water. So....I just shredded it into my sugar and oil mixture. So far it is setting up nice. Wish me luck and I'll let you know how it turns out! If not, what natural M&P base do you use?

I have chosen the Nature's Garden natural cocoa butter soap base after sampling many other natural bases from other suppliers that seem to be to harsh for my skin.

I have Ng's goats milk, yogurt as well and are all wonderful. no burning feeling after use and nice creamy lather.

Good luck. :)

Waiitng to hear your results :)

I would like to make sugar scrub cubes without M&P and without any e-wax so that is "all natural." Does anyone have a recipe? I've searched the threads but haven't found one. Thanks! :)

You can get an all natural e-wax but you have to look for it.

Edited by TexasBrat

• 2 weeks later...

Oky doke. I've been on a mission since my last post. Found good info but results are shaky. lol

I found that it is best to shred the african black soap into the sugar scrub mixture and not melt it down. My cube texture is nice but they are not pretty at all! It could be that I don't have a good mold. I just used a regular ice cube tray and knife to get them out, and cut them. I know totally GHETTO but I was anxious to try the recipe.

I'll get a nice cube mold next pay period! lol So here is a recipe I found and just added the shredded African black soap to it.

20 g cacao butter

20 g shea butter (can be replaced by coconut)

20 g baking soda

I stuck with the shea butter and used brown sugar instead of white. If you add vanilla essential oil to it, they smell just like chocolate bars.

However, this person did not list how much sugar to use and I went by feel. So, could someone recommend how many grams of sugar I should use according to this recipe? Thanks!

Here is a link to melting down african black soap to use it as a liquid body wash. But here is where I REALLY need help.

I wanted to thicken it, so the first time I added some guar gum - Not Good!

The second time I used Xanthum gum - Yuck!

They both gave the soap a snot like consistency and not a shower gel consistency, no matter how much or how little I used.

Is there an ALL Natural thickener I can use to get the shower gel consistency? I was thinking of trying liquid lecithin to see how that might work.

Oh here is the link with instructions on melting down black soap

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GdVHRkhSlQ