ROE to avoid DOS

venus78

Ideally you would add ROE to your soft oils as soon as you open the container. However, if you don't want to blend ROE into an entire keg of OO, for example, you can add it to your oils before you mix in the lye solution.

FYI if you haven't used ROE before, please be aware that it will add a slight odor and also affect the color of your soap. Good luck!

I haven't ever had a batch with DOS, since 1992. I read about it quite often, so it seems like it's common, but I guess I've just been really really lucky?? I cure in a room with a dehumidifier. Wonder if that helps? Also, I don't use canola or grapeseed oil in my CP's (lovely for lotions, though), because I had heard they DOS more readily.

I only mentioned the aroma and color shift so that you would be aware of it - and I wouldn't be surprised if another manufacturer's ROE had a greater or lesser effect either. :smiley2:

The characteristic scent I notice with ROE is an earthy, herbal note. It's pretty subtle, and if you are using a fragrance that included patchouli or lemongrass I doubt it would be detectable. On the other hand, it is easy to detect in citrus or water fragrances that don't have an herbal component that would mask the ROE.

As for the color shift, this is also minor and more noticeable on lighter colored soaps. The effect is very similar to using a fragrance that has a small (~0.5%) vanilla content, in that it tends to darken the soap slightly.

YMMV of course. ROE does appear to delay the onset of DOS, along with avoiding direct sunlight and keeping humidity low in your storage area, and is a more natural solution than BHT or ETDA (although not as effective). By knowing about the possible side effects, you can adjust your formulation accordingly to minimize these effects if you so desire.

Good luck!

The photo below shows the effect on color when I tested an ROE sample obtained from WSP. The color change was most dramatic at the time that lye was added to the oils. The ROE-infused oil instantly produced a brown soap batter while the non-ROE batter stayed light. The difference diminished after saponification, but a significant color difference remained in the final product.

The test soaps were made with the same type and amount of fragrance. ROE was used at an 0.1% addition rate by oil weight, and the herbal note was easily detectable but not pronounced.

I only tested one batch of ROE, so I can't say how much these results might vary with different sources and lots. Since 0.1% would realistically be the minimum ROE usage rate to ensure effectiveness, a noticeable effect on color and scent would be unavoidable with this particular sample.

post-710-139458471696_thumb.jpg