New to all of this

JulieM

Hi there.

I am a newer than new newbie. About a month ago I quit my job, and have been looking for something else. While visiting our kids I ran across a small shop selling body butters, soaps, lotions, candles, etc. I told my husband that I would love to do that. I don't want to have a store, but would like to at least learn how to make all the goodies and sell them. But I want to figure it all out first. I ran across this forum, and have now spent all day here. :rolleyes2

I am thinking that I would like to start with Lotions, body butters and soaps. Is that a lot to start with?

Any and all advice will be greatly appreciated! I will try not to drive everyone mad with my questions.

It is indeed a lot to start with, but it you are willing to put in the time, money and effort to create a great product it's totally worth it. Making your own bath and body products or candles is not something to take lightly. It's a lot of trial and error to get a consistent safe product. Read, read, read. There is a wealth of great info on the web but there is also a lot of not so great (or downright unsafe) info, too. Good luck on your journey!:cheesy2:

Welcome to the boards!

It is alot to take on, but alot of fun, too. Expect to spend a substantial amount of money on product development (I don't think anyone on the boards would dispute this)

My advice would be to think about what type of soap you'd like to do and start from there.

Do you want to do M&P, CP, HP?

If you want to do cold or hot process soap, My suggestion would be to use a basic recipe at first till you get the hang of the soap making process. Don't start out with expensive oils or butters. I use Coconut oil, lard and olive oil simply because I can get these oils locally, and my focus is really on candles. but these oils make a perfectly acceptable bar of soap, IMO. Not all fragrance oils will work in soap, as you probably already know, but if you search the board you will find some good info. Find a reputable supplier that is consistent with their oils.

That's what I have for now, LOL

Read, read, read and have fun with it!

Edited by nursenancy

Faerywren,

Oh, let me rephrase. I plan on learning all of those things, just not at the same time. I hope to figure them out one at a time. Good thing I like to read. Thank you for the advice, and welcome!

Edited by JulieM

Nursenancy,

Thank you! I am planning on starting with the body butter, then the lotion and then maybe the soaps. I have yet to really research the soaps but the things I have read make me glad I am starting with the other products first.

I love your saying on your post, "Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints."

Thanks again!

Julie

Welcome aboard! If you browse the recipe section, you will find many very easy starter body butters that don't require a whole lot of expense or a bunch of suppliers to order from. Body butter is where I started in B&B and I did scrubs at the same time since many of the oils and butters I use in both products. It's fun and very addictive! Candles are still my main focus so never got into CP or HP soaps, just M&P.

Enjoy the reading and the journey...

I personally started with soap and after I was comfortable with that I started going to shows. Then I added whipped shea and body butters and last to join the inventory was the lotions. Lip balm is also a fairly easy one to figure out also as well as solid perfumes.

Cold process soap (in my opinion, is probably the cheapest to learn how to make. In other words a lot of the ingredients can be bought locally and you can experiment to come of with your favorite combinations without having to buy online. That is what I did.

Good luck and enjoy your venture. BUT it is not a get rich quick line of business. I do well now as a sideline business but it took several years to build my customer base.

BUT it is not a get rich quick line of business. I do well now as a sideline business but it took several years to build my customer base.

More true words were never spoken, lol. On etsy last week there was a thread from a lady who makes BEAUTIFUL jewelry saying she was going to start making soap so she could finally make some money... she assumed since most soap sellers have 1000+ sales we must just be ROLLING in the cash:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2: I almost spit my cereal out reading that...

I basically just reminded her that some of us make as little as $1.00-$2.00 per bar of soap after materials and if you times that by 1000 bars you dont even cover the etsy fees, lol. Pretty amusing. I had a similar experience at a craft fair. Someone (kinda snippy) said "well havent YOU been busy!" yeah... but I bet I made the same as you since you were selling $400 paintings!! lol.