Two questions

I'm considering testing either lx or cd wicks in CB135. Any opinions as to which might work better with this wax?

I have some oils which are 5 years old, never opened, stored in my basement most of that time. Would they still be good? They don't smell bad but 5 yrs is a long time.

If you tell us what size container and its diameter that will determine the starting point for the size wick(s) to begin testing.

The shelf life of FOs can depend a lot on how well they are stored. Storing FOs in a dry, cool, and dark (away from sunlight and harsh lighting) will help extend their shelf life. Many will last several years this way. If you have smelled them and they smell the same as the day you bought them then they are probably just fine. I have some that are 4 years old that I can still use. If it has an 'off' smell its a sign its probably gone bad and best to throw out or test a sample.

The wicks you've selected are a good place to start. I use different wicks for different jars. The best results I've gotten for the 8oz square masons is the RRD series.

Testing in the style of jars you plan on producing would be best ... and we can be more helpful getting you the info if we knew.

It's an 8 oz jelly jar diameter about 2 3/8". I normally do 8 oz sq mason but I got a lot of jj for cheap so I thought I'd use them along with the masons. I was using hemp wicks in my mason jars and I'm thinking of changing because I had to get a different supplier and the wicks seem different now. I really hate to buy both cd and lx if I could make my life easier by choosing one or the other to start testing. RRD I hadn't really thought about so there's another choice. I just hate paying the high shipping on such a small item like sample packs of wicks.

I don't mean to throw you a curve - BUT - for the jelly jars I use the HTP's; 83 or 93 usually work for me. I did try the LX but to me they seemed to burn more upright, like the zinc core wicks, and had more of a tendency to mushroom.

I'm just starting to test the CD's, too.

I have a bunch of wicks in different sizes. PM me when you can and I can send you a variety to test.

well I have a lot of htp wicks so I'll try those on the jelly jar but I didn't like them in the mason jar. I have cdn sample packs I could try or I may just get some cd12 and 14 to test for my mason jar. Thanks for your help!

If you are going to try CD's you may want to get some 10's also. I did test CD in the 8oz square mason and the 10's, mostly 12's and 14's worked. I imagine for the jelly jars, if you wanted to stay with the same type of wick, starting with a 10 or even an 8 for testing would be the place to start.

Edited by Judy, USMC
verbage

cd-10 for most oils in the 8oz jj. Some people do cd-8's which is great, but I haven't had that work for me too well.............cd-12 is useable, but it makes a really deep melt pool for the jj. From everything I've heard, the cdn is even better to use in soy, so if you have samples of that i would try that first! now if you could just tell me the best oils for gb464.....................lol