How many oils do you soap with?

Firefly

Just a curiousity question. My favourite soap recipe uses 8 oils and sometimes 9. I've been tweaking my recipe lately and every blue moon I make a 3 or 4 oil soap recipe. I love my current recipe but it takes time measuring out 8 oils.

Do the majority of your use an 3 oil recipe or a larger one? Do you find that more oils or less oils makes your soap better?

I dont use palm so my soaps are variations on a basic 7 oil recipe I love.. which is Coconut, Olive, Sweet Almond, Shea, Cocoa, Castor and Soybean.

If someone wants a non-soybean soap (allergies) I've done some with canola, grapeseed, apricot kernel... I play around with all kinds of oils but my basic bar is the 7 oils above and it tends to work for everyone unless they want something special.

I also make lard soaps sometimes, but I generally dont sell them unless someone requests it. My shop is vegan so I hate having to make a special note that this *DOES* have lard in it.

One of my favorite recipes to this day is a coconut, canola, oilve, castor. I adore the bars I made with that recipe years ago. It was 30% canola and no DOS, even now... THREE years later! But I never sold those bars and wouldnt produce them for sale now.. too unreliable. Funny how that works though!!

Edited by LuminousBoutique

I finally got brave enough to try my own recipe and so far I am liking it. It has 7 oils. Almond, Avocado, castor, coconut, olive, shea butter, palm kernel

Just a simple tip for you that I learned. I bought some plastic pitchers with tops and when I measure out oils for a batch I will measure out a bunch at a time. I am so messy and end up so greasy that it is easier for me to just get that way once for about 5 or 6 soaps. I just line them up and when I have one oil I will measure it out for all the pitchers and then start over again.

Just put your lids on and you are ready to go when you are ready to make a batch. It takes some time in the beginning but it is nice to be able to make a quick batch when I don't have a ton of time because the oils are ready.

Dawn

www.sudsnstuff.etsy.com

Thanks everyone for your comments.

Dawn,

Great idea about the measuring out ahead of time. I've yet to try master batching but I think that would solve my problem except that I don't keep my bar size consistent but could have to master batches one for one size bar and one for the other. It would make life so much easier.

I did though after 8 years stop using a thermometer for my CP soaps and that makes life easier for sure.