Tested Soap Rose Petals - a little disappointed

KMommy

I made rose soap petals by using silk flowers and dipping in clear soap base. They were pretty in the container but I never considered the fact that they weren't going to float in the bath water. They just sank like rock and scented the water a little. Not exactly the romatic picture of floating rose petals I had in mind. Plus with them being on the bottom I almost forgot they were there and started draining the water before removing them. Not what I want a customer to do. Is there any other way to make these so that they will float? Is there something else other than silk petals that should be used?

Guest EMercier

I've been asked that question as well. Those petals aren't meant for floating in the tub. I guess without dipping them in the clear base, you'd be fine. They are meant for single use soaps unless you can find something a bit lighter that will float.

When I first saw the rose petal soap it was on a site that had a picture of rose petals floating in bath with candles burning all around. They must either be making it some other way or the picture was just used to attract customers and that's not what the product actually does(float). Are there certain types of M&P bases that produce a floating soap(like Ivory)? Maybe I could find a mold that has small leaf shapes.

Did you try putting some of the silk petals in the tub to see if they float without the soap? My reasoning being that they are fabric and will absorb water, real rose petals would not get saturated with water hence they float.

I would think that no matter what soap you use, the water would dissolve it, so no matter what soap you use if they won't float on their own they won't float with soap on them. And the glycerine in the melt and pour soap may actually help them absorb more water and cause them to sink.

I've not seen the ones you are talking about so I don't know if the picture is of real petals or silk.

Dee

Thanks, yes they sank to the bottom without the soap. I'll just have to sell them as a hand soap. Before I became interested in making soap I saw a base for sale on a site that said it made soap that floats like Ivory. That was several years ago and I haven't seen it since.

The story goes ---Ivory discovered their floating soap by accident, somebody wen tot break and over mixed (whipped) the soap. They discovered it floated, and the rest is history. ---I used to whip mine to make them float for the kids when they were little. Just used a hand mixed back then and whipped it like you would taters.