Now I've heard it all/Just how much are we responsible for?

KMommy

I was told that someone actually burned a candle inside of their car! They thought it would be ok to burn the candle long enough to scent the car before driving. Sounds like something that would only happen on I Love Lucy! I would think common sense should be a factor but I would like to know just how much are we required to place on the warning labels to cover ourselves? I never would have thought to warn anyone "Do not burn in an automobile:rolleyes2

There is no way you can possibly think of ever single potential hazard and place that on a warning. Someone mentioned on another board that there was a complaint from a women that got hot wax on her skin when she blew out the candle. Well, gee burning wax is hot. Should that also be on the label? Are there specific laws that tell us exactly how much info. we should have on our warning labels?

Guest Buddy-to-TheDallasDean

I don't think anybody really looks at our warning labels.

My warning label clearly says DO NOT burn for more than 4 hours at a time.

A customer of mine called to tell me that the candle she gave to her grandmother had burned the dining room table. I asked how long she had burned it..... ALL DAY LONG!!!! The jar got so hot that it left a scorched spot on the table. :confused: That's how she burns them, always has!! I talked the granddaughter into turning grandma on to tarts and electric warmers.

Another customer forgot to blow a candle out before going to work, 9 hours later upon returning home it was still burning! She said the house sure smelled good. All I could think of was "I am sooo glad that your house didn't burn down." :shocked2:

Ooops!!! Forgot I was still logged on as "My Secret Buddy Alias" :rolleyes2

Well then you are going to LOVE this one...a lady that I car pool with... her husband drives a semi....well he was buying my strawberry 8ozjj candles and burning them while driving in his semi...I guess he has already used 2 whole candles...So she calles and wants more..so she gets 2 more candles...then 2 days later she tells me she is going to bring one candle back....So I said why?> and she said that its not burning right...So I said how long did he burn it? and she said from our house to the highway...then he blew it out...(just so ya know...its was only about 5 miles..so not a good burn) and its a wash board dirt road...

So then she said the other strawberry candle they burnt in the house and it burns great...(they were poured from the same pot)

So I told her....Im sorry but I can not gurantee my candles will burn properly in a moving vehicle.

I havent heard anything more about the candle.

Geeeeeeezzzzzzzz! People!!

And to add to it..she is an insurance agent..you would think she would have enough common scents (ha) to tell him not to burn candlesin a moving vehicle

I don't think you have to warn them of every specific danger, just put instructions for use, remind them that hot wax is.. uhh.. hot.. and even tho it smells like yummy apple pie, don't eat it.

People in general are either just too busy to bother reading instructions, or just plain stupid.. I mean, why else would they have to put "do not dry hair while sleeping" on hair dryers or "do not bathe with this product" on toasters?

I read a warning label once that stated not to burn the candle with the lid on. I thought that was just the candlemaker's sense of humor. Now I bet that someone probably did put the lid back on. I've heard of people lighting candles and placing them in a bookshelf, under a counter top... Like you have to show proof of age when purchasing alcohol, maybe we should ask for proof of common sense before we sell a candle:p

• 2 weeks later...

Proof of common sense, lol love it. Common sense isn't so common. off topic my father once had the blower on his car heater burn out, so he used a blow torch in his car to keep him warm driving home one winter night. :confused: on topic I have a friend who is a marathon burner. She burns a bunch of candles, usually containers all day, even goes out shopping and leaves them burning. I told her once that if she ever buys a house she shouldn't do that, or she'll burn the house down, and end up back in an apt. she laughed and agreed, but kept the candles on.

If people say "they've been doing it for years" then it's hard to change their minds.

Linda

Why don't you offer the customer that like to burn candles in a semi some smellie jellies? That might work out better. Better than a car airfreshener because he can pick the scent etc. Might be a way to increase sales!!!

I burn incense in my car! never a candle though!

Why don't you offer the customer that like to burn candles in a semi some smellie jellies? That might work out better. Better than a car airfreshener because he can pick the scent etc. Might be a way to increase sales!!!

I burn incense in my car! never a candle though!

Are you serious?