Double Wicking Apothecary Jars

Hey everyone. I'm having a nightmarish time finding the right sized double wicks for my apothecary jars (16oz and 26oz). I use J-50.

Lack of oxygen seems to be drowning some of the better sized wicks the further down you go.

I buy my jars from TV Guilfoil (not that it really matters). Has anyone had success double wicking these jars?

Back in 2005 I successfully accomplished this by using zinc wicks. I moved on to another wax after I started back though so I may not be able to be of much help but I will try to find those old notes. I think I actually was able to use HTP's with some scents. If I can find those notes I'll post them.

I'd be interested to hear if you are successful! I have been testing the 12 oz apothocary jars myself. I use a different wax so I am probably no help. I use a blend of 6006 and soy. The htp's work but put too much soot on the jar towards the end. The zincs work but then I have the mushroom that I don't like. I like zinc other than this problem. I can trim the wick and not have issues but I can't trust that my customers are going to do this and when you re-light with the mushroom it seems to pop a little and I DO NOT like that!

I am actually having pretty good success with the lx so far. I am testing heavier oils right now- cinnamon roll, sugar cookie and a hot apple pie. The lx 10's and 12's die out. So far the lx 14's are working and the jar hasn't gotten too hot yet although I am not halfway down yet which is where the problems usually is! I am keeping my fingers crossed that this might work. I have a whole arsenal of wicks though so I can keep testing! I really hope these lx's work though because I really like the flame, the lack of soot so far and the burn characteristic. Plus I could finally be done testing these jars!

A 12 oz apothecary is very different from a 16 and 26 oz. The 16 & 26 are the same width, but much taller. I just googled "double wicked paraffin apothecary jar candle" and found only one that big - website was abandoned. You may have to go to soy. Carole

You may be right. I guess I figured it would be easier than those tall 16 and 28 oz ones. I started out using the 11 oz and 20 oz tureens but I used zinc wicks with them. I know they are different as they have a fully open mouth as opposed to the tapered one. Always tricky with the wicky.

I gave up on the 20oz tureen, just can't make myself triple wick. I have almost a whole pallet of them. However, my 11 oz tureen burns great with zincs and Performas for Heavy scents

I found the zincs worked pretty well in the 11 oz tureen. Seems like you could wick it right without the bigger mushrooms I tendd to get with some of the wicking in the 20 oz tureen to make it work. I too have a lot of tureen jars sitting around. I would like to re-visit the 11 oz size. The only thing I am not crazy about is the gold lid. Picky right!:laugh2: They were a nice size though and burned well. I thought about triple wicking the 20 oz so I could use smaller zincs but like you I don't think I want to go there!

I have tried about every wick except the performas. I'll have to check those out and order some samples and see what I think of those. Why stop now when I have every other wick made!

Jane, I don't think adding soy to J223 hurts the throw at all. My customers love them. I have also added as much as 40% palm to my 223. See if any of these blends work better for your jars. The 16 oz might work. I hope yiou succeed, I have several cases of 26 oz apothecary jars I'd like to dbl-wick. Carole

I found the zincs worked pretty well in the 11 oz tureen. Seems like you could wick it right without the bigger mushrooms I tendd to get with some of the wicking in the 20 oz tureen to make it work. I too have a lot of tureen jars sitting around. I would like to re-visit the 11 oz size. The only thing I am not crazy about is the gold lid. Picky right!:laugh2: They were a nice size though and burned well.

They do have black lids!

I thought about triple wicking the 20 oz so I could use smaller zincs but like you I don't think I want to go there!

I have tried about every wick except the performas. I'll have to check those out and order some samples and see what I think of those. Why stop now when I have every other wick made!

BCN carries the Performas. Usually a P90, 95 or 100 works fine when the 44-32 drowns out. Carole

Just a thought, but why not try a large wood wick on the 16 oz and an x-large wood wick on the 26 oz ? I looked at those jars Jane and they look pretty typical to me. I started with J-50 and then went to J-223 and loved the vivid color of those waxes. You might consider a 60-44-18 paper core or a 62-52-18 zinc for the 26 oz jars. I tried to find a low-smoke zinc and discovered there was no such animal but zincs were the most efficient because they burn cool and they take a lot of abuse. But they smoke with vanilla and heavy spiced oils and get huge mushrooms. I am a real fan of cd wicks for my 70/30 Clarus wax and really disliked most of the others that I tried. I used to use the lx wicks with the J waxes and liked the results most of the time. You just can't beat the classic look of a zinc sticking out of a J wax candle IMHO.