Layering soap

vberkesch

OK - this is the 2nd time this happened to me. I attempt to layer my soap without having to make 2 batches. I just use 1 batch -fragrance & pour the first layer in, it will be a brown layer. Color and do not scent the top layer - pour it on and what happened. The top layer is crumbly and zaps, but the bottom layer is fine!!!!!

What did I do wrong???

Isn't there a way to layer without having to make 2 seperate batches?? I'm afraid if I make 2 batches, that by the time I get the 2nd layer poured my soap seperaters will not be able to cut into the hardened bottom layer?

Thannks for any advise, Vanessa

Is the lye water going into the whole batch and then you are separating it? Or are you just guessing how much to put into the two batches separated? Does that make sense?

For instance I have a 40 batch of oils I use my soapcalc recipe and put the lye amount and liquid amounts in the pot get it to light trace and then seaparte it into two large pyrex bowls I try to get equal amounts by eyeing it. You can also take the weight of the lye and water and add it together and divide it in half pour out what you need for half the oils and than when you are ready to do the other half use the rest.

Barb

Edited by Barbara AL

Is the lye water going into the whole batch and then you are separating it? Or are you just guessing how much to put into the two batches separated? Does that make sense?

Barb

Thanks for responding Barbara...the lye water goes in the whole batch. I scent the bottom layer batch, sb more so it is firmer, put in mold. Go on to top layer - color top layer & put in mold.

Maybe I just need to mix top layer more bf putting in mold - but you do that and then it just gets too thick.

What do you think? Vanessa

Most of the batches I make are for layered soap and I always make just one batch. Sometimes I separate the batch in half and sometimes I just take a third of the batch out. I have never run into this problem.......maybe you are getting a false trace?:confused:

Sheli