My first try at Bath Bombs

lsbennis

Ok...I have never done a bath bomb or any type of B&B before but I got brave today and gave it a try. I used a basic formula from Coastal Scents, I didn't have any Grape Seed Oil so I used Extra light Olive Oil, will that make a difference? I also used the round molds from CS these suckers are really big 5+ oz per bomb, are they suppose to be that big?

Anyway I have no Idea what they are going to do once they hit the water but I guess I will find out in a few days..lol..they are Scented with Banana Orchid Flower.

Thanks for looking :smiley2:

post-4600-139458470878_thumb.jpg

@LuminousB...thank you, I hope they fizz once they hit the water. I'm going to let them dry or cure or whatever it is they do until Wednesday then I'm going to give them a try. Just curious but can you get smaller molds? I didnt see any on the Coastal Scent site.

@Sheli...I used the Wilton gel Icing colors, got them from the Coastal Scent site. They reccomended (sp) them. I only used a 1/4 teaspoon and it seemed to color very nicely.

Edited by lsbennis

My bath bombs are starting to get cracks at the seams, from what I'm reading on here that means to much moisture? So I made a new batch with Pink Sugar and left out the 3 tsp of distilled water, guess I will see if that makes a difference tomorrow. :confused:

Yeah could be the moisture... I dont ever use water, just oils... water never has worked for me :( If I have to, I use a tiny bit of witch hazel but even that causes problems for me sometimes.. so I try and avoid it.

The molds I use are stainless steel bowls from IKEA, they are SO nice, they are 2" across and make 2.5-3oz bombs, depending on how overpacked they are. I've used them to make "soap balls" too, with milled soap!!

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30081467

I'm not seeing the little guys on here anymore though.. only the 5"'ers... I hope they arent being discontinued!!

I bought some of those Ikea molds, too, and they work great! I've got to try making some more bath bombs. My first few attempts haven't worked out so well, and then I got distracted by making soap... But those molds are super easy to use.

@LuminousB...thank you, I hope they fizz once they hit the water. I'm going to let them dry or cure or whatever it is they do until Wednesday then I'm going to give them a try. Just curious but can you get smaller molds? I didnt see any on the Coastal Scent site.

@Sheli...I used the Wilton gel Icing colors, got them from the Coastal Scent site. They reccomended (sp) them. I only used a 1/4 teaspoon and it seemed to color very nicely.

I was just wondering how your tests turned out? What did the Wilton gel do to the tub and skin? I have been using Wilton gel for years in my custom cakes, it is extremely concentrated. The color looks awesome, did they do well?

Too much moisture can also mean too much humidity in the air. I am in Georgia and I have 2 dehumidifiers in my shop to try to avoid that.

We want to know how they do after you test them. They are a lot of fun to make and use. I also use the small balls from Ikea, plastic ornaments and Brambleberry has the large stainless steel molds that work great for a 7-7.5 ounce ball.

Thanks everyone for your comments and advice...:smiley2:

My first batch of BB's did crack at the seams but they still held together. I tested one last week and it did fine in the tub...it fizzed, smelled good and made my skin feel soft. The color didnt' do anything to myself or the tub, but the tub was a bit slippery. I agree Kyme the wilton gels are very concentrated and I think I will cut down next time.

My second batch of BB's I left out the distilled water and I did not get any cracks at all. I have not tested the new batch yet but will most likely throw one in the tub tonight to see how it does. :smiley2:

I have purchased all the supplies for Bath Bombs, but have yet to make them.

They are on my very long list of " to - do's "

I just need to buy the molds, then I'm going to attempt them.

Yours look great