ornies?

Ravens

I think that's what they call them. Anyway, tried to make some and boy do they look awful, and I mean really awful, the nastiest things you could barely manage to look at.

I followed the directions from the Bittercreek site, tried a few using aroma beads of just one color and made a few using 2 colors. Well, they suck. The beads melted and seeped under the molds, the colors aren't nice and bright, they're misshapen and I wouldn't give you a cent for any of them.

So my question is, how to I prevent the beads to melt and go out of the mold? Is it because I bought cheap molds that do not make great contact with the cookie sheet? Why are the colors drab, not bright - I used red and yellow. They smell ok, but you could go blind just looking at them!:laugh2:

Deb 426, let me see if I can upload them. Just remember 2 things, (1) they actually look a lot better in the pictures, (2)sit down and have someone standing there with smelling salts. Now, take a look at the angel that looks more like a swamp monster and at the house where the swamp monster lives.... I am blushing as I type this. Ok, take a look

post-11226-139458470418_thumb.jpg

post-11226-139458470423_thumb.jpg

post-11226-139458470426_thumb.jpg

:laugh2::laugh2:Those are not as bad as you think!!! I have a lot of the cutters that don't lay flat either. I use scissors after they are cool to cut off any parts that have spread out & the little nobbies. Great to do while watching TV. I like mine to look bumpy so I don't cook them as long as the BC instructions say. As for colors, are you using liquid dye? Hold them up to a window, the dark ones look cool!! Try using a little less dye to get brighter , lighter colors. Hope this helps you some!!

Told you Deb, didn't I? I just hope they won't give you nightmares; try to not think about them just before going to bed, LOL

CathyinMe, I used the liquid dyes for candles, not food coloring. I really wanted to do something as pretty as the ones shown on the Bittercreek site, you know, the Christmas stocking, etc., but all I have is the Loch Ness monsters :laugh2: Will try using less dye and give it another shot. Are the Walmart molds/cutters ok (that's what I used).

Deb 426, let me see if I can upload them. Just remember 2 things, (1) they actually look a lot better in the pictures, (2)sit down and have someone standing there with smelling salts. Now, take a look at the angel that looks more like a swamp monster and at the house where the swamp monster lives.... I am blushing as I type this. Ok, take a look

swamp monster? LOL that description is tooo funny

Dnj, but it does look like a swamp monster, doesn't it, with all the algae dripping from its body.... some angel that is :rolleyes2 More like the angel from hades:laugh2:

Well, if nothing else, we got a few laughs. Needed that this morning!

I just use inexpensive metal ones too. Sometimes I have to bend them a little to help with getting them to sit flat on the pan but still get the occasional ooze. One thing that helps is to push down on the tops of the cookie cutters when you first take them out of the oven. This helps to make the excess easier to remove later. I do like Cathy and just trim mine up when that happens. A sharp, pointy pair of scissors is a must.

I agree with the coloring comment as well. Try using less. I typically use as little as I can when I make them and they come out nice & vibrant. When trying to make pastels I usually just lightly touch the tip of the liquid color dropper to the inside of the container lid to just get the tiniest amount. Works like a charm. For darker colors I use a small drop per lb of beads. I sell TONS of these (have 150 to make for a wholesale order this weekend alone).

They don't look THAT awful!! If you want brighter colors, I would use less color. Also, I have metal molds so I bend them before each use to lay flat. I also do not cook mine as long as the BC site says. Yours look like they cooked to long. And like others have said, I also trim off any weird excess if it bothers me.

I know the first time I made these, they looked worse than yours. I cooked them way too long and the colors were supposed to be a bright blue and red. I got gross and grosser!! :laugh2: But I cut way back on the colors and have not had a problem since. Also, I sometimes use the powdered dyes and will get some cool variations.

Good luck and just try again!!

WOW 150!! Guess we know what you'll be doing this week!! Have fun!

Yes small sharp scissors are a must.

LOL, Yep....150 ribbons for my relay for life team. Luckily that style mold has the insert for the center of the ribbon so I don't have to drill them all too. not SO bad! Once they are baked I can sit and string/bag/tag them in an evening while watching tv. I do have to make a bunch more for my farmer's markets in the next few weeks because I sell a ton of them there. Those are way more work.

Oh...and for those who make a lot of these.....my best suggestion is to invest in a bench top drill press. I picked one up for $60 on sale at Harbor Frieght. $$ WELL spent! I can stack 3-4 of like shapes and drill them all at once. I have done 300-400 in about 15-20 mins.

Looks like your oven might be too hot. I'm no expert and have only made mini ones but I kept them bumpy. So mine never got gooey enough to run under the cutter. You all that make a lot do you set the stove on high so the melting goes faster? Or keep it low and wait it out. I thought about getting the silicone for cookie sheets but thought they might stick. Need to start looking at cutter in a different way. More cutie not yummy.

Does anyone know where to get the ribbon cutters?

Looks like your oven might be too hot. I'm no expert and have only made mini ones but I kept them bumpy. So mine never got gooey enough to run under the cutter. You all that make a lot do you set the stove on high so the melting goes faster? Or keep it low and wait it out. I thought about getting the silicone for cookie sheets but thought they might stick. Need to start looking at cutter in a different way. More cutie not yummy.

Does anyone know where to get the ribbon cutters?

Sharon I cook mine @325 for 6-8 mins depending on size molds, leaves them bumpy which I like better.