Using Peak's Fragrance Oils

Hi there again...a few weeks ago I tried to use 1 oz per lb of Peak's Blueberry Muffin scent. Not only was I a bit disappointed with the 'cold throw', but there was that pesky 'fuel' odor mixed in. In the past, I have used 0.5 oz per lb of Lone Star's Blueberry Cobbler. Not only was there no fuel smell, but the cold throw was stronger than the 1 oz of Peak's.

Since the blueberry muffin issue I have been using 0.5 oz per lb of the other Peak's scents I have and they are coming out very strong.

Is it possible that using more scent can somehow decrease the scent? (Hope that makes 'scents' :P)

On these boards I read about people using 1 oz or more. Honestly, I'm afraid I'll get that mutant fuel smell again if I go beyond 0.5 oz. Just so I feel better, does anyone else use 0.5 oz per lb? And are you happy with it? I know I could go stronger with the scents, but I don't know how to do it without the candles smelling like kerosene.

I think you could definitely go down to .5 percent with that one. Besides being a potential waste of FO, it can clog the wick. With many FOs more is not necessarily better. It can give off a different scent than intended, too - like you said. I've noticed that with more of the heavier ones. If it works well at .5, why go up higher. ;)

I'd give it a try and see if you like the difference.

ust so I feel better, does anyone else use 0.5 oz per lb? And are you happy with it? I know I could go stronger with the scents, but I don't know how to do it without the candles smelling like kerosene.

I use .5 with most of my scents. Unless they are amazing if I have to go over .6 I usually ditch it. I don't like using too much FO. The more oil, the more smoking and wick problems seem to occur for me.

Just remember, different waxes and oils are going to give different results.

Like Sara, I usually use about 0.5 oz of FO per lb of wax and have good scent. For Peak's FOs, the label says to use 0.5 - 1 oz per lb, and I have found this to be accurate. Sometimes I will use a little more, like 0.7 oz, but I have never needed to use a whole oz before.

Blueberry Muffin is a strong scent, it should not need a whole oz. I used 0.5 oz for this one, had a really good cold throw, plus the scent was so realistic I actually thought I had real blueberry muffins in my kitchen, and was disappointed when I realized it was only a candle.

Thanks for your replies. I definitely know that more FO is not necessarily better...especially after coming out with those blueberry muffin votives that smelled like blueberries and kerosene :P

Of course, everyone else who has smelled them immediately gets hungry and does not really notice the 'kerosene' smell. I guess that is the result of candle nose, but there was certainly a difference when I had tried 0.5 oz of the Lone Star blueberry cobbler.

P.S. If you haven't tried the Peaks 'Home for the Holidays' you're missing out. It's some good stuff :)

Quite often I only use .5 oz pp of PEAKS FO's particularly in pillars. Recently made some containers up (something I don't usually do). I used 1oz pp of Blackberry Sage in the containers and it din't turn out well like it does in my pillars. they were smoky smelling. Seems like a similar problem so after reading thi strand I'm going to try cutting back and see whta happens.

I was hoping you'd have that answer ;)
I'm not sure though. I'm not an advocate of using the crazy amounts of FO that lots of people like to jam into the wax. It doesn't always make a better candle. But occasionally I like to make a wax blend that will hold a lot of FO and really fragrance the hell out of it, just for fun. All the fumes really do a number on my nose, and that's when I start to notice the fuel smell when the candles burn. I thought it was probably just candle nose but maybe they really do smell like crap. I'd certainly like to know the answer.

Peak FOs tend to be very simple straight-on fragrances, which is probably how they're able to make them strong for a reasonable price, but I have definitely noticed those turn to fuel when I get used to them.