yellow spots!

venus78

Hi everyone,

I just noticed some tiny yellow spots has appeared on my honey carrot chamomile soap which I made two weeks ago.

I don't think it is DOS because I made a few more batches with the same recipe a week before making honey chamomile batch and they don't have these spots.

I used carrot juice, raw honey (1 tbs per batch) and chamomile eo, sp %5

my soap is tan yellow in color and the spots are a little darker.

Any idea of what this could be?

Thanks in advance,

Venus

Edited by venus78
added something

i would get them away from all other soap, until you know for sure if it is dos..i hear that it can infect other soap around it too..

i have never had dos, but from what i have read about it, it does sound like that could be what it is..even though it is the same recipe.

You used different additives, fresh raw carrot juice, and if it was not totally mixed with the lye, it could spoil..

i have used honey lots of times with no problem, but have never used carrot juice..

i have read of using ingredients like you used in soap, so i know it is done, but really don't know the procedure for doing it..

just watch it...i think it will also get a funny smell..

sorry this is happening, but don't give up...we all have misshaps along the way..:)

Edited by 8-GRAN-ONES

it can happen to some bars in the batch and not others.. and it can happen with a recipe you have used a hundred times. Search DOS in the search box... you'll find alot of us have had it happen at least once and sometimes with none of the "triggers" they say causes it. I had two bars out of a batch of 12 get it, and it was only 5% canola... but they were in a bathroom (humid) and in the light (under a window) so... I chalked it up to that.

With botanicals, you are looking at a whole new can of worms.. something may have spoiled...

Hi everyone,

I just noticed some tiny yellow spots has appeared on my honey carrot chamomile soap which I made two weeks ago.

I don't think it is DOS because I made a few more batches with the same recipe a week before making honey chamomile batch and they don't have these spots.

I used carrot juice, raw honey (1 tbs per batch) and chamomile eo, sp %5

my soap is tan yellow in color and the spots are a little darker.

Any idea of what this could be?

Thanks in advance,

Venus

If its not DOS it could be the honey that you did not get stirred in.

I added honey which was diluted with water to the mixture before trace. I have a feeling it's got something to do with the honey but I'm not exactly sure what I should have done, a few hours after I unomlded, it was sweating something that looked like honey But it absorbed after a while. Should I added the honey at trace, did I add it to early?

Edited by venus78

I think the honey could be causing the spots, I add mine to the warm oils and sb the heck out of it. I just made a batch the other day with baby food carrots and honey and it has no spots.

Thanks everyone for your help.I am now a little confused about when to add honey. I've read a few different ways. some say they add it to lye water, some add it to the oils, some at trace. Which one is better?

I keep out some of the water from the lye solution and use it to fully (I mean FULLY) dissolve the honey in. Heat it up a bit, even, or use hot water. Then I add it at about the emulsification point (when the soap gets whitish) or light trace.

Thanks everyone for your help.I am now a little confused about when to add honey. I've read a few different ways. some say they add it to lye water, some add it to the oils, some at trace. Which one is better?

I think what ever works for you is the best way, I tried all the methods and found the one that worked for me and my recipe.

jmho