A big hello from Idaho, and a few questions

Hello. A dear friend of mine gave me the link to this site.

She used to sell the most amazing scented wax tarts, but has recently chosen to no longer sell them. :(

So began my quest to make my own!

I have been here reading and getting tips.

I have done several tart pours, but continue to be disappointed at the scent throw.

I don't know how my friend did it, but her tarts were STRONG (but not overpowering) and they would burn and deliver scent for hours and hours.

I read that using vybar helps with scent throw, so I tried that. It did seem to help.

I read that using quality FO's is vital, so I am using FO's from Peak.

The tarts are nice, but just got giving me the scent throw I want.

So, wax....

There are NO craft stores here that sell any supplies, but I did find one with a big brick of wax. I have no idea what kind it is, I just bought it because I wanted to start experimenting. I am wondering if the next step is changing my wax. I think this block was a straight paraffin, but I'm not sure.

Please talk to me about wax, how important it is to scent throw, and anything else I may be able to try to help with a good, strong, long-lasting scent throw!

Thanks so much!

Hello and welcome to the forum, Ann!

There are several experienced members here who will give good advice and steer you in the right direction.

I am just dabbling with candles, but I've been making tarts for several months. I've had friends and a few forum members "test" my tarts, and they all gave me "A"; my tarts are strong and last an average of 22 hrs.

I do not use the same wax for all my tarts as I noticed that some scents will throw great in one type of wax but not in another.

If you can, send me a PM if you have specific questions (I tend to type very, very long emails and don't want to subject others to my verbosity!)

My favorite waxes for tarts (either "straight" or mixed in various ratios, depending on the FO) are: CBL129, Candlesource (have no idea what it contains besides paraffin but it sure is good!), 4630 and 415. I have tried the KY parasoy for tarts; many people here love it. IMO, it is ok, but nothing to write home about. So, I have done a lot of testing with tarts, and I'm satisfied with the final results. Now, if I could only do that with candles :rolleyes2 Frankly my candles suck, mainly due to my inability to find the right wick, I think. Oh well, one of these days... hopefully before I die :laugh2:

Ravens, thank you for your welcome.

I have not been here long enough to figure out the PM' ing.

So, discovering a good wax or whether or not to blend your own...is that all just trial and error?

Also, I did read there that several people recommended Peak FO's...do you have a different favorite?

I looked at the Candlesource site and could not seem to find the waxes you were speaking of. I found wax, but could not find the resource numbers you specifically pointed out.

Lastly, I do hope you come up with candles that don't suck sometime well before you die. :laugh2:

I'm sorry, Ann, I guess I wasn't quite clear. I buy the CBL 129 from Candlewic. The Candlesource wax does not really have a name or number, but it's the one listed on the Candlesource website as the container wax (left side of the page when you get to their waxes page). So, I get CBL129 from Candlewic and the other wax from The Candlesource.

Yes, in my opinion it is a matter of trial and error. Experiment with a few waxes, learn their ways- so to speak. Keep notes. In regards to fragrance oils, I really like Peak's, closely followed by Candle Science. But I found some really good ones - and at a great price - from Heaven Scent (you may read posts referring to Bert's.... it's Heaven Scent). The FO from Bert's that have worked especially well for me are: Lemongrass, Coolwater type, Aspen Forest (love it!), Raspberry brulee, Gardenia, and Jamaican Bay rum. Bert's service is great, and her shipping is lightening-fast! HTH:smiley2:

Sharon,

I just feel kind of bad asking her, she worked for years to get her formulas right, I am sure.

It is expensive, but I am having fun playing so I will ask if I get desperate, right now I am still having fun.~~mostly~~

I have the same situation and I am testing different kinds of wax and scents.

I really want a strong scented tart that also gets an "A" so Ravens I just sent you a PM. I would love any help you can give.

I currently do use the CBL129 and blend with GW444.

And I just ordered in the KY tart wax..actually 50 lbs. I had ordered a sample and have been testing that wax. I found that some scents seem maybe a little stronger but not quite as much as I would like.

I wish it were easy to make a strong scented tart but I am starting to wonder.:)

I have been candles and tarts for about 8 years now and both are ok but I know that most customers want everything very strong.

Ravens - I believe she has have to have 30 posts and/or 30 days before she can post or receive PMs.

Ann in Id - If you are buying FOs from Peaks it makes sense to purchase some quality wax from them to make your tarts. You mentioned you bought some wax but don't know what kind it is. Bad idea. You will always want to know what wax you are buying; if its a straight wax or blended wax, if its for pillars, containers, votives, etc. I suggest go to Peaks and read up on their waxes they offer and purchase one thats good for making tarts. I'm sure Peaks has one or two that are just perfect for that. Then read all you can about the wax and follow the manufacturers suggestions for heating, mixing, and pouring.

Peaks is a great supplier for candlemaking and they have excellent service and turn around so you are starting off in good hands by buying your FOs there. I have many of their FOs and they are strong in my wax applications.

Ravens okay, I think I fixed it...sorry about that. It was a check mark in my options section that I had to remove.

And I was so anxiously awaiting your response.:yay: Can't wait to hear what I am doing wrong.

Ravens...

I just got my wax from Candlesource...I saw you were recommending it on another thread. I am so excited to try it for my tarts and see if there is a difference in scent throw for me.

Thanks for the recommendation.