What to expect (??)

One of my latest batches of CP that I cut yesterday smells heavy on lye yet after 24 hours. Instead of a full ounce PP of FO I only used half ounce PP and I water discounted. Will the heavy lye smell mellow as it cures or shall I chalk this one up as a rebatch? I know patience is the key but it looks so pretty and I am wondering prematurally if it will be reworkable scrap or good to go later. This is my first batch I've had with the heavy lye smell. Reminds me of my grandma's laundry soap . . You think it will mellow ?

As far as I know, you can't judge if a soap is lye heavy by odor. If the soap is tongue-nuetral then it's probably OK as far as lye is concerned. There are some recipes that can have a pronounced soapy smell though. If you stick with base soaping oils and don't make the recipe overly soft, that doesn't tend to happen. I think I've gotten soapy smelling batches from introducing less suitable and overly soft oils.

Thanks Top . . there is no zap so hopefully all will be good as it cures. I used a floral fragrance and didn't want it to move to quickly so I cut in half, now I wish I wouldn't have. Time will tell if the scent will come thru . . other than the soapy lye scent I am detecting today.

Would you mind sharing the recipe? I've been interested in pinpointing what exactly causes this problem. I have some ideas about it based on my own experience, but the more info the better.

I walked into a pretty good-sized handcrafted soap shop in Woodstock, Vermont once, expecting it would smell like a candle shop with all the different fragrances. Instead my nose was slammed with the odor of soap. It's one of those things I think we have to learn more about when it comes to recipe formulation.

Formulation really seems to be the key. When I spent a year testing different oil combinations, I not only ended up with great soap but virtually odorless soap. It smells like the fragrance you put into it instead of like the soap shop in Vermont.