lumps in my melt and pour

WillowBoo

I agree with the bubbles or lack thereof does not affect the ability of the soap to clean. But people do think that if there are no bubbles or lather then the soap is not working.

And there are people like me who just simply LOVE lather and want it in our soap. :smiley2:

Me, too -- love luxurious lather (which PA's recipe has TONS of, at least for me) and the bubbles. But I also know lather and bubbles have nothing to do with the soap's ability to clean. I remember reading an article a long time ago, before I ever even knew it was possible to make your own soap, that companies add ingredients to their soaps and shampoos to make them lather and bubble only as a psychological thing for customers and that neither is necessary for cleaning. I seem to remember the article also saying it would probably be healthier for our hair and skin if we didn't have the lather and bubbles -- I'm guessing because big companies use cheap detergents which as we all know can be drying.

As for why PA's recipe works for some and not others, I think it probably has to do with the base. I've only used EBC's white base so far but have been reading a lot in the forums to know that some bases just don't take additives very well. I think mine's working so well because I am using the same base as PA. Probably couldn't get much closer to her bars of soap unless she made them for me!!

I have never tried PA's recipe. I am sure that it is great. I am guessing that it is the base as well, plain and simple. I have found that bases really do vary in the way of lather. Since PA uses base from EBC, with great results, I would think that the base from elsewhere would yield a different finished soap. It does not matter if you follow the recipe exactly. If the bases is not the same, the finished soap is not the same. Just my 2 cents from too, TOO many years of messing with bases. :) Also, some liquid soap does not produce good bubbles. This could be a factor too.

Edited by Noodle

I agree with the bubbles or lack thereof does not affect the ability of the soap to clean. But people do think that if there are no bubbles or lather then the soap is not working.

I guess I am just trying to do both. Get a great bar with the lathers that people like.

Prairie: If I chose to skip the butters all together, should I sub something in its place. I would like to try it without the Shealoe to see if that makes a difference until I get some other butters in.

Also, thank you so much for all your help. I feel so stupid sometimes when I ask questions and I truly appreciate your willingness to help me out and allow me to learn from you. :D

Don't feel stupid.. this is how we learn. We all have to start at the beginning whether we want to or not!

I can't think of what you could sub to replace the butters. If you chose to make a batch with no butter and just add goat milk to your base you might try to cut back on the milk by just a little bit.. It's going to be a little bit softer bar without the harder oils added, but not a lot. I'd just add up to 4T of milk per pound of base to start and see how that works. You can still add liquid soap and the other stuff.

EBC is Essentials by Catalina. I think PA uses EBC base if I am not mistaken.

Yep, that's my favorite base.

And as for the other posts about the base being the difference in the soaps, I suppose that makes the most sense of all guesses!

And to whomever mentioned that bubbles and lather are psychological.. very true!! I sure do love the creamy lather of my soap, I love the bubbles too, but that luxurious lather makes me very happy!

I will have to get some of the EBC and see if it makes a difference. I will check out their soap and look at getting some. Is there anyone in particular that works best for this recipe since I am sure they have tons to choose from?

eta: What other things do people recommend from their site?

Edited by CandleMama6

Thinking of trying the EBC as well. My shea butter is working fine, but I'm intrigued with trying all the original ingredients. I found the recipe under Melt and pour in a previous post. It was a thread started with recipes I believe.

I will have to get some of the EBC and see if it makes a difference. I will check out their soap and look at getting some. Is there anyone in particular that works best for this recipe since I am sure they have tons to choose from?

eta: What other things do people recommend from their site?

I am using their plain white base, which is what I'm pretty sure PA is using as well. I'm hoping to pick up some of their clear base tomorrow, not sure which one, and a sample of their natural white base. I'll let everyone know what I think of the natural base once I get to play with the sample. The ingredient list for the natural base looks great.

I've tried their lotions and really like their body whip. At some time in the future, I'll probably pick up a gallon of the paraben-free with butters version. I don't sell my stuff, so it's just for me and gifts. I wanted to try making my own lotion, which I did last week. Turns out making my own lotion is WAY more expensive than just buying a base from EBC since I only make small amounts! And it was a mess (although the lotion turned out really nice in the end -- not sure I want to go through that again!).

I think I'm also going to pick up a pound of their fizzie powder, too, to try it in bath bombs and fizzy salt recipes.

Edited by candlemama

• 4 weeks later...

I'm only very very new to soap making, have tested using just plain old MP base and my little guest soaps turned out great. praireannie's recipe which looks great. I do have a quick question, what would the soap be like without the liquid soap added?

Only reason I ask is cause I'm not sure if I can find the non-scented stuff anywhere locally. Is the reason for the liquid soap additive, so that you get more bubbles? any other reason?

I do have some plain white MP base as well as some Goats Milk base and want to try the recipe, but need to know whether not using the liquid soap will make that much of a difference and if so, what ?

As you can see I'm very new at this and don't even know the why and wherefors of the various additives and what they 'bring' to a soap - more reading for me I guess ;-)

I'm only very very new to soap making, have tested using just plain old MP base and my little guest soaps turned out great. praireannie's recipe which looks great. I do have a quick question, what would the soap be like without the liquid soap added?

Only reason I ask is cause I'm not sure if I can find the non-scented stuff anywhere locally. Is the reason for the liquid soap additive, so that you get more bubbles? any other reason?

I do have some plain white MP base as well as some Goats Milk base and want to try the recipe, but need to know whether not using the liquid soap will make that much of a difference and if so, what ?

As you can see I'm very new at this and don't even know the why and wherefors of the various additives and what they 'bring' to a soap - more reading for me I guess ;-)

The liquid soap will add bubbles to your soap. Adding these ingrediants will "kill" the bubbles that your soap currently makes. While it will still clean without the bubbles, people think it isn't cleaning unless they see bubbles (an sometimes even a lot of bubbles). If you are just making this for yourself and don't care about the bubbles, give it a try without the liquid soap. If you are hoping to sell someday, you will most likely want to get the liquid soap to make your customers happy.

I find mine at my local health food store. You can find it on Amazon.com as well. I even think that it is part of the free shipping program.

Have fun!!! but be warned... It is very addicting :):laugh2::)

ETA: I made the soap as per your recipe and while it is nice and mild, I agree that I don't get much in the way of lather. My kids don't seem to care - they are just happy that it smells like juicy oranges!

they are even more entertained by the soap now. I made it a soap on a rope and it's hanging in the shower. and the oils and color are kinda settling so the "up" half of the soap is lighter than the "down" half.

• 1 month later...
I still added the goats milk and 4T of clear soap like the recipe stated.

Did you use the Dr Bronner's liquid soap? I think it bubbles more than any other liquid I have. Use it to make my foaming hand soap. I get the Dr Bronner's unscented castile baby mild from Drug Store .com. I always buy enough to get free shipping.HTH