lumps in my melt and pour

WillowBoo

I have been making PA's recipe as well. When you are making it, do you dump everything in at once?

I found that when I put everything in at once, I had problems with things mixing together good and it smelled funny to me. (i think because i was "cooking" something too long that did not want to be cooked.) I'm still using the microwave since I have not been able to find a presto local yet.

So now I do it like this

1) melt base until almost completly melted (has a few small chunks left)

2) add cocoa butter, shea butter and staric (if using). Mix well

3) melt rest of way (takes about 40 more seconds in my microwave) and mix well.

4) add rest of the ingrediants mixing well in between each one.

5) Pour in mold and let set up.

I like the look and feel of my bars when I do it this way the best. It also shows me after each ingrediant what it is doing to my soap to know if something didn't go right. (I always add in the same order)

I suggest this, try adding things in one at a time and see where the chunks are coming from. It could also be that your base, shea butter and/or cocoa butter isn't getting fully melted down.

My first guess is it's the goat's milk. Are you using liquid or powdered? If it's powder then you are probably not getting it shook up or whisked well enough before you add it to the rest of the soap.

If you're using liquid then I'm not sure... But I'm pretty certain that it's not the milk curdling.

Thanks for the response. I tried the mixology you suggested and it's fine now. It is canned goats milk. I don't think I was heating it up enough. I made some of the formula last week and I have to say PA

that after using your soap recipe for a few days, I was actually able to leave the house without moisturizer. THE FIRST TIME IN 20 YEARS!

Fabulous recipe!

I made some of the formula last week and I have to say PAthat after using your soap recipe for a few days, I was actually able to leave the house without moisturizer. THE FIRST TIME IN 20 YEARS!Fabulous recipe!

I totally agree. I wasn't really using moisturizer with my plain goat's milk, but now I really don't. (except on my hands as those still get dried out from cleaning), but it isn't NEAR as much as I used to.

I handed out some testers to friends and some people that I asked if they could try too (I did know them, so they were not complete strangers) and when they e-mailed me their responses they were like... "When are you going to start selling this? I want some" Thanks PA for the recipe. It was a great starting point for me (did change it up a little tiny bit to fit my base and likings :yay:)

I just love hearing the positive feedback on that recipe. I think it's awesome soap, and I wanted everyone to know that MP soap doesn't have to be drying or crappy soap only used for people who don't want to take the lye plunge! I've stacked it up to many CP recipes, and it comes out on top because it is so moisturizing and good for the skin.

I started developing the recipe because I had gotten a taste of how awesome goat's milk was for my own skin. I knew that I could make a good bar of soap if I kept at it, and it turned out the biggest secret was MORE goat milk! I tend to use even more than what I recommended in that recipe.

Thank you for the feedback~ and HOORAY FOR MOISTURIZED SKIN!! :yay:

I made some of your recipe PA but there is not much lather to it. I followed the recipe except used Shealoe butter in place of the other two cause I didn't have any of those. I also used a goat's milk base instead of white.

Any idea what I did wrong??

Did you still add goat's milk to the base?

I've never used Shealoe butter, so I'm not sure how a bar would turn out with it. How much liquid soap did you add?

The goat's milk provides a rich, creamy lather.. the liquid soap will add the bubbles.

Thanks prairie. I will try that. It only sat for a couple days before my daughter HAD to try it so I don't know if a longer cure time would help either.

I also thought about adding a little SLSA to see if that helped. I added some to an olive oil soap I made and the lather on that one was fantastic. But I did not add goat's milk or the liquid soap to that one. Just the base, come glycerin, stearic and SLSA. Turned out really good.

I am going to make this again and try uping the liquid soap in one batch and adding SLSA in another batch.

It has been almost a week and still very, very little suds when you use it. I don't know enough about butters and I might be showing my stupidity, but I cannot see where using Shealoe butter would have that affect. But like I said, I am soooooo new to this that it just shows my ignorance too!! :P

I don't have any other butters so if it is by chance the Shealoe butter, what could I use in place of the butters in the recipe?

I am going to make this again and try uping the liquid soap in one batch and adding SLSA in another batch.

It has been almost a week and still very, very little suds when you use it. I don't know enough about butters and I might be showing my stupidity, but I cannot see where using Shealoe butter would have that affect. But like I said, I am soooooo new to this that it just shows my ignorance too!! :P

I don't have any other butters so if it is by chance the Shealoe butter, what could I use in place of the butters in the recipe?

I'm thinking about ordering some SLSa and was wondering how much you are adding pp of M&P base to increase suds? Also, where is a good place to order? I've been looking but can only find a couple places, such as WSP, and their shipping is waaaay too much for 1.65 lbs!

BTW, I have tried PA's recipe a few times and have had no problems with lather and bubbles. Some batches turn out with more bubbles, for some reason, though! I am using the same base as PA (EBC white base), so maybe that has something to do with it. Also, after my first recipe, I played around with adding more Dr. Bronners, up to 6 TBS per two pound batch, and got lots of bubbles. I have noticed that I need to work the soap in my hands, get it really wet, and then I get lots of lather and bubbles. If I try using a washcloth, I don't get as many. I'm just thinking about trying the SLSa to see if I can get even more suds because I like lots and lots. Also, figured I might try making a bubble bath bomb, too, while I'm at it!

Edited by candlemama

I got my SLSA in a co-op that I did. I still have some left that I bought extra if you want some. I also got Citric Acid so needless to say, I won't be needing either of those any time soon!! :laugh2:

I will have to look in my notes to see how much I added the Olive Oil M&P I made. My daughter says it lathers really, really good but I have not tried it yet.

I got my SLSA in a co-op that I did. I still have some left that I bought extra if you want some. I also got Citric Acid so needless to say, I won't be needing either of those any time soon!! :laugh2:

I will have to look in my notes to see how much I added the Olive Oil M&P I made. My daughter says it lathers really, really good but I have not tried it yet.

I'd be interested in the SLSa for sure and maybe the citric acid, too! Send me a PM with the details. Thanks!

color me confused. the liquid soap is cleansing, is it not? I use dr bromner's to wash with and it's not just bubbles, and I know slsa is a detergent.

i'm clearly missing something here.

ETA: I made the soap as per your recipe and while it is nice and mild, I agree that I don't get much in the way of lather. My kids don't seem to care - they are just happy that it smells like juicy oranges!

Edited by CareBear

color me confused. the liquid soap is cleansing, is it not? I use dr bromner's to wash with and it's not just bubbles, and I know slsa is a detergent.

i'm clearly missing something here.

ETA: I made the soap as per your recipe and while it is nice and mild, I agree that I don't get much in the way of lather. My kids don't seem to care - they are just happy that it smells like juicy oranges!

Now I'm confused I guess.

I gathered that you were talking about lather and cleansing being one and the same... which I don't think it is. I think you can have a cleansing bar without much lather.... BUT a lot of people do think that if the bar of soap isn't bubbling like crazy, they aren't getting clean.

The reason I even add the liquid soap to my batches is to try to get some of the bubbles back for those folks that want/need it... otherwise, I think the recipe cleanses just fine.

I wish I knew why the recipe lathers great for some people and not so good for others.. maybe it's a difference in the softness of water being used.. that's just a guess that could be completely wrong.

I agree with the bubbles or lack thereof does not affect the ability of the soap to clean. But people do think that if there are no bubbles or lather then the soap is not working.

I guess I am just trying to do both. Get a great bar with the lathers that people like.

Prairie: If I chose to skip the butters all together, should I sub something in its place. I would like to try it without the Shealoe to see if that makes a difference until I get some other butters in.

Also, thank you so much for all your help. I feel so stupid sometimes when I ask questions and I truly appreciate your willingness to help me out and allow me to learn from you. :D