A castile soap with RBO & PKO..?

leisa2003

I was reading on another site where a few people were giving some advice that you could make a castile soap with 90% Rice Bran Oil and 10% Palm Kernal Oil.

Anyone know if this so?

I have alot of RBO but no OO and this would help me to use it up.:smiley2:

Thanks,

I think castile soap is Olive oil soap..

you could use RBO in soap...but it wouldnt be castile soap :)

I do use RBO in my regular soap,..I had just heard you could substitute RBO for the OO,..for castile soap.

Edited by leisa2003

I just did a another search here and found a few different threads that peeps said they have made castile type soap without OO. I'm just not sure what other oils to add to the RBO.

Just thought I would see what others have done this,.. and what they have added to the RBO to make a castile type soap. Maybe thats why its "type".

http://www.craftserver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66500&highlight=RBO+castile+soap

Edited by leisa2003

Castile refers to the region in Spain that the OO (originally) came from.. so no its not Castile unless it has OO in it.. but I see lots of people sell "Castile" soaps that arent 100% OO... like adding in coconut for some lather.

All my soaps contain 30% OO which one of my private labels (I sell them logs and they private label) they call them "castile soap"... so really I think its a pretty flexable term.

I do make a 100% OO soap and thats the only one I personally call Castile.

I'm not sure it's such a good idea. RBO and OO aren't really that similar. The substitution might seem to make a similar soap when done in modest quantities, but I wouldn't try RBO castile because RBO has too much linoleic acid for such a high percentage. Even if it made OK soap, it might be prone to DOS.

I'm not sure it's such a good idea. RBO and OO aren't really that similar. The substitution might seem to make a similar soap when done in modest quantities, but I wouldn't try RBO castile because RBO has too much linoleic acid for such a high percentage. Even if it made OK soap, it might be prone to DOS.

You're right! It turned out to be not a good idea when I tried it. The soap had a 'spongy' feel to it and it did not harden up the way it should. Luckily I didn't end up with DOS so at least it was still useable.

Castile doesn't have a legal definition. To purists, it's a soap made from 100% olive oil from Castile , to many any olive oil will do as long as it comprises 100% of the soaping oils.

Others are comfortable using the name castile if the majority of the oil is olive oil. as in 90% olive, 10% castor or coconut.

Still others, like Dr Bromner, consider it castile if it's 100% VEGETABLE oils (no animal fats).

The soap had a 'spongy' feel to it and it did not harden up the way it should.

That's because of the polyunsaturated fatty acids in the RBO. It's not a linoleic oil like soybean, which is loaded with them, but it has a good helping that you have take account of. You can use a moderate amount of RBO in a recipe, but if you go overboard it starts to be a problem.

Something like olive oil is a true soaping base oil because it's a straight-up oleic oil. You can even use it at 100% if you insist. RBO just doesn't have the fatty acid profile to be used as freely like that.

One of the problems with polyunsaturated oil is that it's basically semi-saponifiable. The soap ends up too soft, too alkaline, and often not really uniform (there tends to be some separation even if it traced, and even if you don't notice it). At best, it needs a long cure time.

Yup, I erred in my response about RBO. I meant to say that people sub RBO in recipes if they don't have OO but not as a sub for castille. You can probably find a recipe out there that will use some combination of RBO to make a bar similar to a castille but not in the truest definition that we recognize. It seems that one of the books I read recently, suggested that OO and RBO were basically interchangeable. Top (of course) is on the money about the linoleic content of RBO making it a difficult oil to soap in large percentages. Sorry.

Steve

So,..If I were to add some OO to the RBO, could it still be close to a castile soap? If any of you believe so,..how much more OO should be over the amount of RBO?

I am just trying to come close to a castile type soap, without having to use 90- 100% OO in the recipe. I would like to use OO, RBO and Castor.

Thanks for all the insight.:smiley2:

So,..If I were to add some OO to the RBO, could it still be close to a castile soap? If any of you believe so,..how much more OO should be over the amount of RBO?

The essence of the matter is that you want to use RBO as a base oil, and I think the truth is that it's not suitable for that. With or without adding some OO, the percentage will be too high.

A more realistic question is how much RBO you can safely incorporate into a recipe in order to use up your stash. The fact is, you can get away with using more in a hard recipe than in a very soft one like castile.

Myself, I wouldn't go above 20% RBO. I could see pushing it a little and using 30% in a hard recipe if I were trying to use it up as fast as possible. Some people would not hesitate to use it at 40%, which I think is a little too much. But that should give you some idea about the range of RBO usage.

If you do use a lot, back it up some harder oils rather than a lot of olive oil.