why is my soap growing crystals?

rebeccajo99

I made up a few batches of PA soap recipe and little variations of the recipe over the last week and a half. I'm still testing for life in my own shower, but went to cut up a few bars that i liked to give out to my testers today. Went to grab one of the bars and it feels like it is growing crystals.

Do you know what causes that and how do you get rid of it?

Thanks in advance

moisture- glycerin attracts moisture and your soap will "sweat"

wrap it up tight in plastic wrap and keep it in a cool dark place, like a cupboard or a closet.

i wrap mine up, then label a brown paper bag and keep them stored in a basket in the closet.

Heat and humidity will do that. As DeAnna pointed out the glycerin in the base attracts moisture and causes the soap to sweat. Heat can do it too. The sweat then crystalizes and looks like 'fuzz'. You can just wipe it off or use the soap it will wash right off.

I have a big problem with this during the summer when I sell my soap at market. Some days are so hot and humid the soap starts getting sticky and slick. The next day I have 'fuzz' crystals on my soap. I usually remelt the soaps and repour them.

The best thing to do is keep the soap wrapped up and stored in a dry cool area.

thanks guys. I had them in a storage bin in my basement. Never had problems with this before, so thought it had something with the recipie. They did seem to wipe off easily.

Those who sell naked, how do you combate this from happening during summer?

If I am in a marquee in summer or when the temperature is changing all the time and my soap develops crystals, I keep a wallpaper scraper handy and just scrape the top layer off the soap. To stop it sweating, I pop my soap samples in a plastic grip bag overnight, it does work...:thumbsup: