First Farmers Market

Hey all I am doing my first farmers market in two weeks and have a few questions.. They are looking at anywhere from 100- 5000 people to attend and am trying to figure out how much stock to make.. I have 5 different candle scents. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!:yay:

TIA

Angie

That's a big difference... 100-5000! I'd say make as much as you can, and then decide how much you can fit in your vehicle, carry, will fit on your table, etc. You'll probably have to see what business is really like once you get there. Those are all suggestions you probably thought of already, lol! Good luck!

I've been doing farmers markets for the past 3 years. Since its only 4 hours I set up 2 large 6 foot tables; one filled with candles on risers; and one with my soap, lotion, lip balms, etc.

I can get a lot of product out and still have a shorter set up and break down time using just the 2 tables.

You may find that you need to build up a customer base at the market. That may take a few weeks before you start getting repeat customers and word of mouth customers. But it does happen as long as you have great products.

Have fun and good luck! I built up a good customer base at my market by attending weekly and its fun to have people come and buy more stuff and call you by name and stay and talk for a while.

I agree... take everything you can. I like to bring 11 of each scent of soap (20-25 scents), at least 10 of each scent of candle (15-25 scents) and I will do 8 scents in body butter, 6 scents in bath bombs, two kinds of bath bomb cupcake, unscented lotion bars (its just easier), 4 scents in scrubs... and I try to bring 10 of each scent.

It really depends on the show whether it all will sell or not but why not come prepared. "you cant sell it if you dont bring it" is so true. One year I had a lady come through and buy almost everything in my booth, including my back stock, for presents! She owned a real estate company and liked to buy things like ours to put together her own thank you baskets. I cut her a deal and she walked away with almost all my booth, lol!! If I hadnt brought it all.. who knows if she would have bought as much as she did.

Good luck and have fun! Remember to set up your booth at home, first, to be sure it all fits and you dont waste time when you are there trying to figure out what should go where.

I just kicked off my 3rd year at my farmers market. I set up 4-6 ft tables, 2 across the front and one on each side. I take everything I possibly can and then some. Thankfully I can still pack it all in my vehicle but have been keeping one eye open for a van. If you only stock 5 scents now I see expansion coming very soon. People will start asking for this and that and next you'll know, you'll be back creating new things :)