Making canldes whiter

I don't color my soy candles, but it seems that they discolor after a few burns. I think that Lightening Bug was having this same issue with hers turning grey. Mine turn all sorts of colors, pink, brown, purple,etc.... And its not pretty colors either. I know that its probably caused by the FO's because some of my candles will start out an off color due to the color of the FO. I was wondering if I could off set this by adding some white dye chips, if there are any and would that help the color? Or do I just have to deal with it. Thanks for anyone's advice.

We have had really good luck with the Ivory color chips. We had a few problems and someone suggested this to us. It took care of it!!

We use the Reddig-Glo chips that you can get from several places. We buy ours from CandleScience you can find them here....

http://www.candlescience.com/site/shop/color/reddigglo-dye-chips.php

The ivory ones are the ones that help with the discoloring problem I know they don't "turn it white" but it does keep it more manageable.

Hope that helps,

Mark

Mark

Yes, that helps a lot. Ivory would be perfect. Soy isn't really white to begin with, but I guess what I wanted was just more consistent color. I will try the dye chips for sure. In your opinion, do they affect the throw/wicking. I have never colored my candles before so I am a little in the dark about them.

thanks again

I see they have liquid ivory color. I wonder if that would work too???

The color chips haven't really changed anything for us. We use 1 chip PER POUND of wax. Did test burns with all the different colors that we use and haven't had to change a thing.

We only make small batches about 4lbs. at a time so if you are making bigger batches than that you may want to test on your own.

We use square mason (8oz), Cargill C-3, FO at 1oz per lb., 1 color chip per lb., and HTP83 wicks.

Mark

Hi Angela,

I just responded and accidently hit a button and it was gone. :mad:

Here it is again....I think that it is mainly the FO. I have some candles that I leave white and some do it and some do not. Fresh Linen which I do not color turns greyish and Warm Vanilla Sugar which I color a creamy color turns pinkish. Vanilla Dreams is colored an ivory color and it turns pinkish too. Of course this is only where the meltpool was. However, the peppermints that I have tested and have not colored do not seem to discolor at all -- not yet anyway. I have some that I color and they can still discolor so I make sure I make them a darker color so I do not notice it as much. It is real annoying. I wonder if there are the same scents above that will not discolor in wax.

I know they have a white coloring but I do not think it would help the problem -- would be the same as if you colored it a lighter color and it still shows up. It would be great if they had something to stop it from causing it. I think I saw an additive for B&B products that can be added to help discoloration. Too bad there does not seem to be something for candles.

~Holly :)

Hi Holly

I knew it was coming from the FO's, and it is only in the meltpool. It is very unattractive, the candles look kinda dirty. I don't think I can completely eliminate it maybe just try to make it not as noticeable. I think I may give the chips a try to see if that helps a little. Such is soy, I swear if its not one thing its another to have to deal and conquer. Sometimes I feel like an organic chemist-shoulda payed more attention in college I guess.

Thanks for the suggestions!!!!!

Hi Holly

I knew it was coming from the FO's, and it is only in the meltpool. It is very unattractive, the candles look kinda dirty. I don't think I can completely eliminate it maybe just try to make it not as noticeable. I think I may give the chips a try to see if that helps a little. Such is soy, I swear if its not one thing its another to have to deal and conquer. Sometimes I feel like an organic chemist-shoulda payed more attention in college I guess.

Thanks for the suggestions!!!!!

You are welcome even though I really was not a lot of help. lol

I sure know what you mean. If it is not one thing it is another. Actually, I got that same discoloration with paraffin blends before too but maybe not as often. There is even more chemistry problems with soy. For example, I use the Frostop. Well, I got more so I was able to go ahead and use it with more of the ones that can frost. I have found that it does not get rid of all the frost with all the fragrance oils. Really weird. I may have already told you this. It got rid of all the frost on the Cinnamon Stick in the last 6 ones I made but then when I used it with Persimmon Spice I still got frost -- not as bad but it got some. The weird thing of it is Cinnamon Stick is the WORST froster I have and it helped it tremendously (one tiny spec) but not as much with some others. Why? I can't win. However, Frostop is still a big plus because it does help some with all of them and REALLY helps with the Cin. Stick which makes it worth it.

I either get a soy that has less frosting but not as good of a scent throw or I get a soy that frosts a lot and requires a poke and zap or poke and repour but has a great scent throw. Then I test one that does not seem to need a repour and hardly frosts but then it burns too fast for double wicking and the throw is not as good. The big plus to me though is NO SOOT!! :yay: I guess I am willing to put up with the other quirks for the clean burn. Now, if I can just get rid of..........airpockets, frost, discoloration in meltpool with some FO, and residue on glass I would have a perfect wax/candle. :P

Let me know if you get the discoloration thing figured out.

~Holly :)

Hey Top, what are BHT crystals? Just wondering for us illiterate candle makers. Somebody should write a book on wicks and abbreviations. I'd buy it! Beth
It's an antioxidant. I haven't scouted all the possible suppliers for it. As far as candle supply goes the only one I found is Genwax.