Question on CB Advanced

What are the main pros and cons of CB Advanced?

I've read quite a bit and have done my own tests, and here are my findings, but I wanted to have these confirmed by those experts out there:

Pros:

Appearance: smooth top, nice and even pullaway from container

Burning: nice even burn, little or no hangup

Frosting: little or no frosting

Cons:

CT/HT: challenging to find FOs that throw well

Melt Point: 111* melt point means potential melty mess at outdoor venues or during shipping

Am I on the right track with these findings? Any others that I haven't come up with?

Thank you!

I was disappointed with CBA because of wet spots and weak scent throw. I only used it for a short time and never reordered. It was better with frosting than CB 135 but the scent throw was a show stopper for me.

I have switched to Xcel which seems to address my issues. It has a good throw for most all of the fragrances I use and seldom has a wet spot or frost.

Hope this helps.

I personally like the CB advanced. Out of all the soy waxes I've played with (about a half dozen) I thought it performed the best in overall look and burn. I tweak it with 2tbs coconut oil per pound which I think improves throw and color absorption (meaning I can use less dye for a darker shade).

Edited by JacquiO

I personally like the CB advanced. Out of all the soy waxes I've played with (about a half dozen) I thought it performed the best in overall look and burn. I tweak it with 2tbs coconut oil per pound which I think improves throw and color absorption (meaning I can use less dye for a darker shade).

JacquiO, do you find the low melt point problematic? I really like the Advanced, too for the same reasons you mention, but was worried about the candles getting melty during shipping and at outdoor venues. Any thoughts?

I haven't tied the coconut oil in the Advanced but have used it in other waxes and have liked the results.

I tested the CBA and didn't like the poor hot throw. Even scents that 'threw' well you still had to be on top of the candle to smell them and those had to cure for weeks. I was very disappointed in it and went back to using the CB135.

I prefer the CB135 because it has great H&C throw. I add parrafin to take care of frosting and rough top issues.

If you are worried about doing outdoor shows in high heat the CB135 worked great in that. I do a lot of outdoor shows during the summer months and didn't have any problems. But you still need to make sure the candles are shaded under the tent canopy and don't get exposed to direct sunlight.

If you are worried about doing outdoor shows in high heat the CB135 worked great in that. I do a lot of outdoor shows during the summer months and didn't have any problems. But you still need to make sure the candles are shaded under the tent canopy and don't get exposed to direct sunlight.

I agree with Candybee. You have to have shade and don't leave any thing in a parked car on a warm sunny day. Using a UV inhibitor may help with colors fading but in direct sunlight any candle will fade. I never got to the point were I showed my soy candles. I'm mainly a hobbyist but you want to be careful when trying to sell candles in a hot climate.

• 2 weeks later...

For shipping purposes, I found that once it is in a box and is insulated by packing materials (peanuts, etc.) melting isn't an issue. (but, I am in the NW, not down south). I agree about when you do an outdoor show to make sure you stay out of the sun! It does fine in the shade even on a hot day.

I always liked CB because of the frosting issues on other waxes and I mostly do wholesale. Frosting was a huge issue for my clients. I found that the throw is different with every fragrance I use (like any other wax). If my candle wasn't throwing well, I would increase the fragrance, even to double. On some fragrances, it's a one ounce to 1 pound of wax, but some I have to increase it to 2 oz./lb.

Hope this helps!