Finally did a chunk pillar and 'cane

Here is my first chunk pillar, and a 'cane I made for my daughter's wedding in a couple of weeks. The 'cane did not turn out good first time, so I remelted and second time did much better. The chunk pillar did prety good, just used scrap pieces (mostly red) with some forest green, light peach, and blue. Overpoured with leftover 'cane shell wax at 170*.

post-116-139458376204_thumb.jpg

pretty cane....but how did it burn with hurricane wax as a pour over....don't you find it too hard? I guess if you want it to tunnell, then it would be fine. I have played around so much I guess if it does what you want....then it is right.....I like the lit cane......I am going to try to master that one. So far I always glue things on the outside.....I just haven't had the patience to embed a photo....got to do that....Donita

pretty cane....but how did it burn with hurricane wax as a pour over....don't you find it too hard?

I'm just using Yaley straight paraffin I got from Michaels, and it had just a little stearic, two drops blue and one drop red per lb to give it a slight lavender look (daughter's wedding color). I used it as the overpour just 'cause I have no other wax right now. Just kinda playin' around waiting till I can buy proper wax for it purpose. I'm not sure if I want to burn it.

I am a Mad Scientist, you know. ;) Bwahaahaahaa!

PS BTW your 'canes are very nice, regardless of how you apply the add-ons! Whatever makes for less work and mess, since you're in business. I'm not near that point yet. :)

Yaleys wax is pillar wax with a MP of 138, your chunkie should burn fine. Using steric shouldn't raise the MP by that much. But if you also used this wax for your cane, careful. I suggest only using tealights inside. A votive will melt the inside, and possibly through the bottom if there's no protection for the bottom of your shell. Don't ask how I know ;) . I started with Yaley wax too.

Nice work, I like your chunkie, and it looks like your coming along on the canes, not a bad start at all. You'll be a pro in no time. I would suggest switching to hurricane/embed wax for those though, much safer, and actually easier to work with when making the photo embeds, believe it or not.

Yaleys wax is pillar wax with a MP of 138, your chunkie should burn fine. Using steric shouldn't raise the MP by that much. But if you also used this wax for your cane, careful. I suggest only using tealights inside. A votive will melt the inside, and possibly through the bottom if there's no protection for the bottom of your shell.

Thanks TBD, my previous attempts at 'canes were only slight disasters, very thick and embeds caught fire! I do intend to give my daughter and SIL a package of scented tealights with plastic cups for it. I lit a metal cup tealight in it for testing, and it melted a depression deep enough to use as a "holder" to center it. Also, I glued a circle of cork under it for a coaster.

Thanks for the helpful tips! :D