Help me!!!

I'm brand new to Soy Candlemaking and need advice! I have made some candles and gave some to my Mother In Law so she could be my tester. I just got feedback and i'm not happy! She said the scent throw was not strong enough and the candles(votives) didn't burn right. How do I get good scent throw? I know there is a certain time to add the scent but when is that? Also...why is it that some batches of votives seem to get cracks at the top and when I try to remove them from the mold(I do use mold release) they don't want to come out? I've had to dig them out and when I do I notice the candle is sort of mushy at the bottom. What am I doing wrong??

I just finished a bag of Ecosoya CB 135 and I just got a bag of Golden Brands 444 so I will be trying that for my next batch of candles.

What am I doing wrong??

It will be hard to tell you what you are doing wrong ... because we don't know what you did.

So please let us know how you poured your votives - step-by-step.

CB-135 is a container blend manufactured to stick to the sides of a jar ... so if you made your votives with that wax I imagine it would possibly stick.

Hi Judy!

Well...I heated the Cb 135 wax to 185 per the directions and poured it 125. I'm not clear as to when to add the scent though. I add the color right after I removed the pot from the burner and then I usually let it cool a bit and add the scent but now i'm wondering if I need to add the scent right after I remove the pot from the burner.

I'm anxious to try the Golden Brands 444 to see how that works. Have you used the 444 and if so what advice can you give me on heat temp, pour temp and when to add scent?

Thanks!:)

The best information I can give you is to provide you the link to the CB-135 manufacturer's instructions which includes when to add the FO: http://www.ngiwax.com/products/usingecosoya/cb135instructions.html

It may be different than the instructions received from the supplier. But you'll just have to play around with the temps until you find the best one to pour at.

I've never used the 444 except for dipping stuffed animals. I did find some supplier directions, though: http://www.justbynature.com/How-to-GW444-wax.html

If you want to make votives you will need to get wax that is better designed for that purpose and not use the container blend. You can MAKE it work but if you are just starting out you are better off with a votive blend. If you intend to make containers then stick with the wax you are using and don't try making votives.

I don't use your wax and don't make votives but I also wanted to throw out there that some fragrances are stronger than others. Some just won't work in the wax you use. Also with soy wax you really need to let them cure for about a week to get a nice scent from them.

The other thing to think about is that while some fragrances can fill a room up in a votive size...not all will if they aren't a strong thrower.

What fragrance did you use?

I've used several different scents....Clean Cotton and Cucumber Melon are the ones my Mother In Law tried out and she said the scent wasn't very good. I order my scents from Candlescience.com and on that site they rate the scents and i've tried to only order scents with a good rating. Tomorrow i'm going to try my new wax(Golden 444) and add the scent at a higher temp and see how those come out.

~Thanks for your help! I welcome all suggestions!

I really don't know the wax you are using and they are all a little different but I find for me personally using a parasoy blend that adding the FO at a higher temperature works well for me. I heat the wax to the recommended temperature the I add my dye and fragrance oil into my pour pot.

Here are a couple of links to get you started:

http://www.craftserver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50047&highlight=golden+444+temperature

http://www.craftserver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18176&highlight=golden+444+temperature

http://www.craftserver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40888&highlight=golden+444+temperature

Sometimes I have a hard time with the search feature depending on what I am looking for. However I have found a ton of good info. on this forum. I am sure if you do a search on "votives" you'll find some help their too if you get frustrated. Sorry I can't be more help in that department.

I only used CB 135 for containers. I haven't tried Golden Brands 444 but that is a container wax too. I'd take Judy's advice and get some wax especially for votives if that's what you want to make. It'll make your life much easier when you're just starting out.

Yes I agree. I love their FO sale!

I also agree that unless you really want to make votives that containers might be easier to play with until you get a little more comfortable. But if you want to make votives by all means you should just research it and go for it.

I order my scents from Candlescience.com and on that site they rate the scents and i've tried to only order scents with a good rating.

I know Candle Science tests the FOs. At one time the rating was based on the performance in 135. I don't know if it's still that wax or one of the others they sell ... but the rating system is accurate. The NGI link I gave you gives a recommended cure time. When I first started soy I didn't realize that and was so frustrated when they wouldn't throw ... and then I learned to be patient. Keep us posted on your progress.

If you are going to make votives you may want to try GB416, I found a link where I get my wax (I use GB415 for containers) that suggest adding 5-10% of the USA (Universal Soy Additive) to the GB16 to make votives and tarts. I have only played around with the 444 a couple of times and could not get it to cool slow enough so it would not leave craters around the wick.

I am sure someone here uses GB416 and can help you further.

Here's the link:

http://www.thecandlemakersstore.com/product/WAXSOY135A/Natural-Soy-135-416-Wax-1-pound-bag.html

Edited by bah67

I don't know if you are completely giving up on the CB 135 but that's the only wax I've ever used ( I make candles and tarts for personal use and to give to friends).

I do very small batches at a time...usually just 12 oz of wax and 1 oz of oil. I use Candle Science oils too...looove those 1oz sample sales, perfect for my kind of usage and I have a ton to try :) It comes out to about 8%.

I heat to 185, pour immediately into my pour pot and add any color. I let it get down to about 165-160 and add my FO and stir really well to incorporate the oil. I used to care about frosting and wet spots but if I'm just making it for myself, I don't care too much. BUT, if I do, then I cool till it starts to get thick and slushy like and then pour.

Then I put the jars into the oven to cool. Once cool, clip the wick, screw on lid and let it cure for about a week.

But really, the best thing is to not add FO at too low of a temp because it won't mix well into the wax and not add it too hot so that it burns off (at least this is what I've read!). And to let them cure for enough time!! I like the CB 135....it's easy to work with and the throw turns out really nice!

Edited: Hmmm, I don't think I read your OP right....so you were making votives only? No containers? If that's the case, then disregard my advice (unless you eventually try containers!).

Edited by all4mymarine

I'm making votives, tarts and containers and so far the only thing that i've had any luck with is tarts!

I finished a bag of Ecosoya CB135 and today started a bag of Golden Brands 444. Since my votives have been a conplete failure I decided to do one mason jar(a pintsize) and a couple of tarts. I followed the instructions I found online. Heated the wax( one pound) to 175-180 removed from burner...added dye and scent(one oz)...mixed well and poured at 155-160. Well my tarts look great as always but my mason jar seemed to have sunk a bit! I'm really ready to rip my hair out!!

I'm really hoping to be able to sell the candles I make especially since i've become unemployed but it seems as if I'm doing nothing but wasting money on supplies!:angry2:

I'm really hoping to be able to sell the candles I make especially since i've become unemployed but it seems as if I'm doing nothing but wasting money on supplies!

I sympathize! There's a lot more to all this than meets the eye and the learning curve is tough to get over, particularly when you are chomping at the bit to get going and sell! Hang in there! :)

Thank you! It's frustrating because it seems that like I get different directions depending on what website I look at. After looking at another site I may have poured todays batch too hot so I'll try another batch later.

Yeah, try to pour at a cooler temp. Wait till it gets syrupy....not sure what exact temp that is but probably btwn 100-120 and then pour. Put the container candle in a box, microwave, or oven and let it cool. You should see better results :)

Update! Using Golden Brands 444 soy wax. First batch I heated to 175 and poured at 155 and I got a sinkhole(used a one pint jar and also some Tarts...Tarts came out great, only the jar had a sinkhole.

Did a second batch today heated to 180 and poured at 135(I figured maybe I poured too hot the first time) and this time I used the small flower pot type jars and also made tarts..once again tarts came out great but have sinkhole or pucklike marks right around the wick of my flower pots. I don't understand what i'm doing wrong...I thought for sure pouring at a cooler temp would fix the problem.