Coloring

I have a question....those micas and stuff that you get from TBK, can any be used to color candles as well? Mixed with maybe some mineral oil or something so it is like liquid dye?

I have some sweet colors coming and I would love to be able to use them in candle applications.

Edited by Jokerjen

Somehow it's hard to think this is worth a try. Micas are a colored mineral powder. You can't make anything like a liquid dye with them because the mica is totally insoluble. They are dispersable, meaning the mica particles can be temporarily suspended in a liquid and distributed through a product, but they are intended for cosmetics. The particle size seems pretty big, so micas in a candle are liable to sink during cooling and/or clog up the wick sooner or later. Finally, the coloring compounds are approved by the FDA for specific uses on the body, but we don't know which of them are okay to have in a candle.

Bottom line: micas are for cosmetics; for candles, get dyes or pigments that are sold for that purpose. For the inside of a candle, dyes are what you really want.

Remember that your colors depend on both the dye and the wax.

Light bounces off the surface of opaque waxes like paraffin/soy blends and vegetable waxes. This tends towards a creamy pastel look, but it also allows for very bright and vivid colors if you use a lot of dye.

Paraffin container blends can be pretty creamy too, but some of them (like 4627, or even 4630 to some extent) and more translucent. Light can penetrate them to some extent, so colors looks a little deeper and darker and more jewel-like. You don't need as much dye as with opaque waxes, but also the whole effect is different.

So that's the wax part. As far as the color part goes, all the different types of dyes from so many different suppliers really give you a crapload of color options. There are limits though. Certain exotic and opaque colors, including neons, are pigments rather than dyes. They are not generally recommended for the interior of candles that are going to be burned because the little particles can build up in the wick. But you can get away with it to some extent, so it might be worth trying if you want to make something unusual.

Bitter Creek has a wide range of dyes and pigments:

http://cart.candlesupply.com/Dyes-c-296.html

One Stop Candle has some regular and neon pigments: http://www.onestopcandle.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?page=OSC/CTGY/CC

Candlewic has some pigments too: http://www.candlewic.com/store/category.aspx?q=c9&title=Pigment%20Dyes

Just remember that the pigments are really intended for dipping molded pillars. I can't say for sure how any particular one might affect the burn of a candle.

Edited by topofmurrayhill

Remember that your colors depend on both the dye and the wax.

Light bounces off the surface of opaque waxes like paraffin/soy blends and vegetable waxes. This tends towards a creamy pastel look, but it also allows for very bright and vivid colors if you use a lot of dye.

Paraffin container blends can be pretty creamy too, but some of them (like 4627, or even 4630 to some extent) and more translucent. Light can penetrate them to some extent, so colors looks a little deeper and darker and more jewel-like. You don't need as much dye as with opaque waxes, but also the whole effect is different.

So that's the wax part. As far as the color part goes, all the different types of dyes from so many different suppliers really give you a crapload of color options. There are limits though. Certain exotic and opaque colors, including neons, are pigments rather than dyes. They are not generally recommended for the interior of candles that are going to be burned because the little particles can build up in the wick. But you can get away with it to some extent, so it might be worth trying if you want to make something unusual.

Bitter Creek has a wide range of dyes and pigments:

http://cart.candlesupply.com/Dyes-c-296.html

One Stop Candle has some regular and neon pigments: http://www.onestopcandle.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?page=OSC/CTGY/CC

Candlewic has some pigments too: http://www.candlewic.com/store/category.aspx?q=c9&title=Pigment%20Dyes

Just remember that the pigments are really intended for dipping molded pillars. I can't say for sure how any particular one might affect the burn of a candle.

I'm not new!lol I know how colors affect different waxes. and THERE are Neon Dyes out there..I just haven't found a good source.

I have some samples coming from one place, so I hope they put some neons in there.

I'm not new!lol I know how colors affect different waxes. and THERE are Neon Dyes out there..I just haven't found a good source.

For readers who may BE new, it's always great to have the extra information for them in a post. One also never knows what an "old timer" does or does not know. I'm always happy to have more information than needed rather than less.

Thanks for the good discussion & pointers, Top. :)

I know Stella...I'm just being a smart ass...hey on a side note, Do you guys remember a couple of years ago when we tried to duplicate that three color layer pillar in burgundy, green & gold? I cam across that thread awhile back.

We should do something like that again!

Do you guys remember a couple of years ago when we tried to duplicate that three color layer pillar in burgundy, green & gold? I cam across that thread awhile back.

We should do something like that again!

Do you have the link for that, Jen? I'd like to take a peek... :)

I tried a neon color once. I had run out of my beautiful brilliant pink and could only find a hot pink color at Peaks. The dye was a Reddi-Glo pigment chip for overdips and called shocking pink. Well I tried it in my parasoy blend and it did not blend well at all. The finished candle had to be redone. So I would be careful about using a pigment for overdips.

I like to use the Reddi-Glo dye chips thou. I get brilliant jewel like colors from them. For example red is a hard color to get in soy but the cinnamon or red dye chips make a deep rich color so much I will only use these for coloring my soy candles.

But I have to believe there must be some neon colors for candles out there besides the pigment chips for overdip candles.

BTW-- Lonestar has the liquid hot pink dye I love. It really is a hot pink and can be used in soy, palm, and parrafin. Its the only neon color I have found so far for candlemaking.

Edited by Candybee

Well I just did a search for neon candle dyes and found this place:

http://www.onestopcandle.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=FCP

They are listed as One Stop Candle. There address is at:

Candles & More

120 Hillside Avenue

Williston Park, NY

Maybe someone from here has purchased from them before. I am not familiar with them. But their neon colors look cool! Plus they claim they actually glo under flurescent lighting.

I'm editing this because I was just reading that the neon dye collection is pigments for overdips.

Edited by Candybee

I just found this. Cierra Candles has several dye chips that they list as flourescent colors:

http://www.cierracandles.com/wax-dye-chips-25.html

I have shopped at Cierra Candles before it changed managment. I think the resale was last year or the year before. Anyway, they do have some quality supplies and I would definitely order from them again. Have not tried the flurescent dyes thou but the do say they are for candlemaking (not overdip).