Craft Shows revisited

diamondk

I have search and search but couldn't find what I was looking for unless I am not using the right keywords. How many scents do ya'll normally take in containers and melts? I am doing a small one in may and this will be my first. Any help or suggestions is greatly appreciated.

I take 50-60 scents in candles.4 each.

Tarts I limit to about 20 different scents. 10(2pks) per scent

Candles are the seller for me.Tarts are just a few people buying.Not like many other areas. I have either a candle or tart customer.

These shows I consider large but there are other candlemakers. I make as much as they or more. I would never ask them how they do and they never ask me.I do have other crafters(selling different things) always ask me how I am doing.We try to decide if it is worth coming back.Since these 3 shows are within 12 miles of me I will do them.Farther than that I would think about it.

I always have stock left over.One lady does buy alot of my candles at cost after shows.

LynnS

I try to narrow mine down too as too many scents tend to turn customers off. I've got it down to about 15-20 per show for candles. I find the display looks better too if you have a grouping of the same scent. I've noticed this over and over again that the groupings of the same scent attracts customers.

I don't do melts as they don't sell here. But I have done tarts and they sell like crazy. It helps if you bring the same scents as your candles and maybe a few extra to see what scent may stir up some interest.

The best selling booths are the ones with consistency and uniform displays. It makes the booth look more professional and well stocked.

If I see a booth with candles in all sorts of jars or only 1 visable scent of each candle I just walk on by. It tends to look cluttered, messy, and like the candlemaker can't make up their mind what they want to offer. It also is a sign the candlemaker is new at this.

Candles- no more than 15 scents, and I bring 6 of each scent.

Soaps- 14, they change from time to time, but I always have 14.

I keep my booth very clean, organized, and streamlined... everything is in a display or on shelving, nothings just laid out on the table... I aim for a more "upscale boutique" look in my booth, monocromatic colors... with my products being the pop of color. I even have tissue paper poms hanging from the ceiling sometimes, and a nice wood sign. Its worked for me so far, I constantly get "Oh your booth is so beautiful!" and I think that helps with sales.

For the spring time shows we're bringing 30 scents, 6 each of our 10 ounce, 2 of our 16 ounce and 3 of our 5 ounce. We'll also do 4 each of our 2.5 ounce votives and 6 each individual melts. Total of roughly 330 containers. We usually sell 80-90% of what we bring, especially to one particular show we do....and we do both a spring and fall shows at the same venue.

I have found that too many scents confuses customers. Since you only have one jar size, you probably can bring more scents. More sizes, different prices, more confusion. You will find out which are your top sellers pretty quickly. They may change from Show to Show, but there will be clear winners. I would bring extra of those. I think for a first show, I would bring 12 - 15, if you have that many. Make sure you bring a good variety across categories, like florals and food scents.

Good Luck! It will be lots of fun!