Dolomite Containers Wick Problems

I'm not quite sure what Dolomite is, I think it's just a general name they gave them. The sales rep told me they are hand painted ceramic.

I've was wick testing most of yesterday, and so far I've got the small one figured out but the medium and large size have stumped me. I found a website once that helped with measuring the bottom of candle containers to try to figure out where to start with wicks.

Anyone know the website. I've seen it before but I can't find it.

Dolomite is the type of mineral used in the making of kiln fired clay which is usually imported from China. I have been tempted to use those containers but not sure of their ability to withstand high temps. Be on the look out for cracks and test for how hot the container gets in the last half of the burn.

You should measure the widest part of your container and use that as your base to find a wick that will burn that perimeter.

Yep. When I have an irregular size (thinner at the bottom, wider at the top, etc.) I tend to average the two then round off the corners to figure a starting point for wicking.

Dolomite is the type of mineral used in the making of kiln fired clay which is usually imported from China. I have been tempted to use those containers but not sure of their ability to withstand high temps

Fired dolomite-containing clay should easily withstand the temperatures for candles, BUT the manufacturing methods employed by the Chinese can leave a LOT of room for error. The glass they manufacture, for example, is frequently poorly annealed and stress-cracks unexpectedly. Unfortunately, with glass, you don't see this coming until it shatters...

I agree with Steve - I am leery of them, too - not because of the dolomite but because of the frequent lack of quality control in Chinese manufactured products. One batch might be okay, the next bad. Too scary for me!

Thanks for all the wonderful input. I'll keep an eye on the temps, I definitely don't' want to sell anything that may crack and cause damage.

I measured directly vertically across the opening.

Large-Largest Opening 5 1/2 inches

Medium-Largest Opening 5 inches

Small-Largest Opening 3 inches

I guess I should have asked where do I start. All of the wicks I've tried so far have not worked. I'm starting to get a little collection of useless wicks. :) So far I've only used the standard candle containers, so this set throwing me for a loop.

Sorry I missed that question. :) I'm using IGI 6006 wax.

I measured directly vertically across the opening.

Large-Largest Opening 5 1/2 inches

Medium-Largest Opening 5 inches

Small-Largest Opening 3 inches

That's a paraffin-veggie wax blend that I do not use, so I cannot help you with recommendations. Having said that, I think with the size you have, you will need to look at multiple wicking. Hopefully someone familiar with 6006 will step up and offer some wicking suggestions for you. You might also try searching for 6006 and see if there has already been discussion about wicking this size container with that wax. HTH :)

Hopefully someone will chime in, I'm having heck with these containers. I have so many wicks and none of them are working. :confused:

I think in the small I'll use 2 wicks, in the medium 2 or 4 and in the large 4. I'll search the board to see what I can come up with.

Thanks!! :cheesy2:

That's a paraffin-veggie wax blend that I do not use, so I cannot help you with recommendations. Having said that, I think with the size you have, you will need to look at multiple wicking. Hopefully someone familiar with 6006 will step up and offer some wicking suggestions for you. You might also try searching for 6006 and see if there has already been discussion about wicking this size container with that wax. HTH :)

Okay I'll give them a try. I tried some 28's (I'm going off of memory, that number might be wrong) and they looked okay. The melt pool did not go to the edge of the small container.

The small can be single-wicked. Try a CD 12.